Glow On review

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by doctherock, Oct 9, 2010.

1. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Ok so the review process begins.

I was given the oportunity by Gatopardo and Dillinger to test and report on Glow On. I am a no nonsense kind of guy and to me integrity matters. You can expect my true opinion on this product as I am not affiliated with the company and believe the fine members here deserve the truth.

In the beginning there was light.
    I received my package, minds out of the gutter, in the mail on Wednesday this week. After doing the reading of instructions I decided to get on with the testing.
    I applied the product to my Springfield XD40 that night, allowed it to dry 30 minutes and re-applied. After the drying took place, I waited till the next night, I put it to the test. The lights I use in my residence are compact fluorescent bulbs of the "daylight" variety. I allowed the XD40 to charge up until bedtime and stuck it in its drawer. I awoke approximately 3 hours into my non-existent sleep and checked on the sights. They were glowing nicely and would work well in the dark. They stood out very nicely against the pitch black that is my room. Upon arising at 6 am for work I checked again and still they were glowing.
    I will say that if you are expecting tritium sight brightness and bling you will be disappointed. I will post the pics I have so far and will update regularly. I have another test under way and will report on it soon.

First pic is with lights on in the living room.
    Second is in the shadows.
    Third is in pitch black so I apologize for the pic quality. It is the mini-14 with the sight painted for barrel reference in the dark, also I used the tape that came with the package and put it on the tactical lights for finding in the dark, they are black.
    Last but not least, and I again apologize as it was pitch black in the room, is the XD 40 in total darkness with the glow on.

Attached Files:

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Here is another picture of my small tactical light I keep by the bed. The tape on these is awesome to say the least. They glow brightly all night.

The thin band is the tape and the dot is a drop of the Glow On.

Attached Files:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool, thanks. Please keep us in the loop.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Most certainly. I will be doing some weather testing on it as well.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

SWEET! I will be following this; one of my factory white dots is dinged on my XD45.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

An excellent report Doc! Thank you for taking the time to do a thorough review of the product.

Thank You to Gatopardo who was willing to let some forum members test the product free of charge or influence.

JD

7. jca1

jca1 New Member

Stay tuned, my review will follow soon also.

8. jca1

jca1 New Member

Here is my honest review.....

Pros:
    -The paint on stuff is not runny. It is very thin however, but it's sticky. It's weird, I know.
    -It does glow

Cons:
    -the little dots are almost unmanageable, I lost one.
    -They are not sticky at all really.
    -I don't like that you have to paint over everything with clear fingernail polish.

I painted the sights on my model 65. It looks stupid now. I charged the stuff with a flashlight for about 10 seconds, maybe less. It glowed really bright. I put it in the closet. I checked it 30 minutes later and it was still glowing pretty bright. Seems pretty good to me given the little time I charged it. I'll check again to see just how long it glows and post up tomorrow.

Overall as of now I give it an 8.

First pics show the paint in light, next show it glowing.

Attached Files:

9. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

My wife is still laughing at the: "It looks stupid now" part, just don't let the stuff get on your shirts, I have dozens of t-shirts with glow-spots:eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Just some quick thoughts on the Glow On. I am still in the process of testing. I have some of the adhesives on different things around the house. I have some of the paint on a Coffee mug. Doing some durability testing with that, dishwasher and hot Coffee.

Now, the paint on is easy to apply. No problems there.
    The little dots as mentioned before are slightly difficult to apply and are not very adhesive alone. I gave up, I was getting frustrated, will try again.
    They are very bright when giving a charge. I am still testing the lasting effects.

Here are a couple pics of it on the Ruger P345. I didn't realize how hard it is to take a picture in the dark.
    I know you can't wait to see "The World's Greatest Sigma™", sorry to disappoint but that will come in the final review.;)

Attached Files:

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I'm just glad your dark pics turned out like mine Shihan, hate it when you show me up. LOL

12. jca1

jca1 New Member

update:

After a 10 second or so charge with a flashlight(as mentioned before) the paint on stuff was still glowing sometime early this morning. I was in zombie mode so I'm not sure what time exactly but probably around 6:00 a.m.

So this stuff glowed for approx. 7 hours after a 10 second charge!
    freakin awesome if you ask me. I now give the paint on stuff a 10 for functionality.

BTW, the dots glow great, they are just hard to work with cause they are so small. An "unclumsy" person would be very satisfied with them.

So in the end the only thing I don't like is having to paint over it all with nail polish. My guns are sissy now....:D

It lives up to the instructions, there is no bullcrap written in them. Even the "unstickiness" of the dots is in the instructions.

Thanks for this amazing opportunity. The only real problem I see is that I'm very childish in some ways. I'll probably have Glow-On painted all over the place. I bet my house looks like Christmas by next week.

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great reviews, I'm really liking these member reviews of forum product vendors!! :D

14. Shihan

For the final review I will use a real camera instead of the Cell Phone. I want to give a good final evaluation of the product.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Anybody else wondering how this stuff would adhere to a toilet or outside keyhole?

16. Shihan

Done, I can pee with the lights out and hit the bowl.:D Thinking ahead, wait for the review.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

man i think I got a bum bottle or something. I am getting about 20 to 30 minutes of good seeable glow from the kimber after 5 minutes under a 100w CFL.

I will go into more detail in my review.

18. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Just a couple of pointers

Pigment efficiency
    -The vehicle for the glow particles is milky and opaque until it dries and cures completely, It'll cure in about 12 hours, but the maximum efficiency is reached in 24 hours, after a couple of days you'll notice it looses the plastic consistency and become something like a real hard dry epoxy cement when all the water content leaves the mix (this is when it reaches maximum hardness).

How much pigment?
    -The pigment has a reflective material and a whitening agent so a white primer is not necessary in most cases, but still has a degree of transparency, to allow for light absorption, a thick application is necessary in some cases, if your sights have this characteristics:
    [​IMG]
    It might be necessary to apply several layers inside the receded dots until they are fully "loaded" to achieve a higher glow.

Eye adaptation
    -It takes for the human eye about 30 minutes to be completely adapted to night vision, when this happens, the glow is perceived as a white "ghost glow" for hours; at this point, "color" as we know it cannot be perceived. Also at this point the "ghost glow" is bright enough to line up a shot but not bright enough to compromise your position.

Exposure to light
    Under most conditions, regular artificial illumination in a bedroom before bedtime will charge the pigment self Adhesive if you situated it around the room, above light switches, TV remote, your shirt, your hands LOL, etc.

Everything has limitations, and of course Glow-On is not an exception,

Heck, I like what I wrote so much I'm putting it on the Glow-on website:cool:

If anyone of the testers had a mishap, spill the stuff or else just PM me I'll expedite more stuff your way.
    Just PM me.

19. jca1

jca1 New Member

I put 5 coats on my model 65 over several hours. Then it sat for about 24 hours before I charged it the first time.

I put the big dots on my HK USC

I put three coats on my Mossberg bead's

I might do my AK sights next and my FIL's shotgun too.

I'm really loving this stuff. I most certainly will not waste it on the toilet seat. Heck I miss and pee on the floor in the daytime, I don't even try in the dark:D

20. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Question:
    So using the subject below for example, would it be better for me to apply the Glow-on OVER the "white" currently on these sights, or would it be better to remove the white in order to apply more coats of the product in the recesses?

[​IMG]