Glocks with Lead SWC

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Baldpaul, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Good day Guys, I was old by some creditable sources, that Glocks of any kind should no use LEAD reloads. I'd like to spend some time this winter with my reloading projects, and I've gotten some lead SWC for the .45 ACP for free. I was told that unless they're jacketed, that Glocks don't like them in general. Any truth to that.. Do they make jacketed SWC's? If the lead ones are OK to use, does anyone have any pet loads they'd like to share? Paul

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Lead bullets are a no-no in any pistol with polygonal rifling. Buy a regular rifled barrel and shoot all you want...

3. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Thanks Coronel, Can I get a rifled barrel for this Model? Are they avail, or is what you HAVE, you've GOT.?

4. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

BP-
    Rifled aftermarket barrels are available. Some are drop-ins and some are meant to be fitted for competition shooting. This is discussed in the video, " Making Glocks Rock " by AGI.
    Shooting reloads may void your warranty.

Lead bullets lead up polygonal rifling, possibly increasing pressures and causing kabooms, a subject Canebreak posted links about in the past.

5. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

I never really bought into that much. My husband fired thousands of lead rounds through his HK with no problem. Ive always kind of believed that the whole KB issue came from people firing really hotloaded lead rounds, or not properly cleaning them after they were done (Glocks are indestructable ya know) then wanted to blame their idiocy on Glock.

But YMMV.

6. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Canebrake, Very helpful and thorough info you gave there. Good reading. Thanks. Paul

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

For a while I had a G21 with a Storm Lake rifled barrel - shot lead just fine...

8. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

OK, I'm convinced of the Polygonal's dislike for lead bullets and I understand the reasoning. Now!, aside from it possibly nulling any warrenty with GLock, is it wrong or a bad idea, to pursue a rifled barrel for the GLOCK 36, so that targeted lead SWC could be used to hone the skills? Shooting even the cheapest of jacketed bullets @ .50+ could get really expensive. I love to do the reloading thing. Relaxes me, puts me in a world of my own for a couple hours, and most importantly, keeps me out of trouble with the better half.. Paul

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Brownells will be happy to sell you one - that's where I bought the Storm Lake barrel for my G21...

10. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

And what was the cost to you.. Was it a drop in barrel like the original? Thanks again..

11. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

There is a lot posted By Dean Speir on The Gun Zone site concerning Glock kabooms.

12. Gutpile

Gutpile New Member

I found the aftermarket barrels shoot better than the factory(depending on make). You can shoot wad cutters in the original barrels if you give it a good cleaning after each shoot. You might get stoppages in the feeding department with the SWC because of the shape of the bullet.
    [​IMG]

13. ISOM

ISOM New Member

lead SWC

I have been there and dun that...
    My 19+ year old Glock 21 has shot many rounds of lead SWC.
    I could fire 100 rounds of lead without a major leading clean up.
    My solution is to shoot PLATED AMMO. It is lead that is electro plated, so it does not lead the barrel. It costs a little more but, is worth the extra money!