Glocks made in USA

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by redscho, Dec 11, 2013.

1. redscho

redscho New Member

My friend and I were comparing our Glock 19 Gen 3s. He just got his and it is made in USA, I bought mine a year ago and it is made in Austria. When did glock start production in the USA and with which models?

2. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

From my understanding,Glock makes them in the USA for export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts.
    Yeah,makes no sense.Might be because there are some countries Austria cannot sell Glocks to but the U.S. can.

3. redscho

redscho New Member

Interesting. So any leftovers from export sales to other countries for military and law enforcement contracts are sold domestically. I wonder if there is any difference in quality, performance etc.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If I remember correctly this is dead on.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I haven't seen a US Glock in person but I've heard there is a noticeable difference appearance wise in the slide finish. It is supposedly as durable but they had to change one of the chemicals used in the process to satisfy EPA regulations. Just what I've heard, no confirmation.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The coating has changed. Tennifer had extremely bad by products. I forget the composition of the coating they use now but it is pretty close to a diamond on the Rockwell scale.
    Fun fact: you can sharpen a knife on a Glock slide.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The company is very secretive about its inner workings. They don't tell and don't explain. Take any Glock Annual Magazine, it is a waiting room reading, no info on any plans or developments, in fact nothing useful unless you're a Glock virgin. After reading the recent book "Glock" I believe this is a core value of its founder. Compare to SIG - open and talkative, almost exuberant. Just a different style. Anyway Glock Inc is the Great Book of Why (Unanswered)

8. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Aren't the US made one's manufactured in Smyrna, Georgia?

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The company HQ is Smyrna. You would know where in the US any SIG or Beretta was made by reading the slide. Not this baby.

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

funny Smyrna is also where fletc is located

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That's Glynco. Smyrna is outside Atlanta.

12. seancslaughter

dur got my weird Georgia town names mixed up

13. seancslaughter

In my defense I just donated a liter if plasma so I'm woozy and confused I shoulda known that I took a course there

14. McCakie

McCakie New Member

That's a pretty interesting fact to know if you ever need it

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I enjoyed Glock Inc as well.

16. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

I also heard if you turn the slide upside down and play it like a flute it works as a unicorn mating call ! :D

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a Glock factory in Smyrna, GA. I stopped by and had my G17 fully serviced by them, while I was TAD in nearby Marrieta. FLETC is in Savannah, north of the Naval Submarine Base, in Kings Bay where I was stationed for 8 years.

I didn't find it too secretive as far as their locaction of manufacture. More than one of my Glock frames says Smyrna, GA on it. Proof marks can tell you a bit as well.

The US factory was partly a business move toward military and LE contracts. When competing for replacing the 1911 part of any manufacturers contract was that a certain percentage of manufacturing would have to be done domestically by anyone awarded the contract. Beretta didn't have the MD plant until after they were in competition. FBI contract was similar. Now many manufacturers have plants stateside, such as Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc.

I'm sure there are other import/export advantages as well.

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Since I bought my 1911, I was wondering what to do with the glock. :)

Ok, only after I sharpen my knife.

19. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

FLETC is in Brunswick Ga. Glynn Co. Savannah is Chatham Co.

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Smyrna on the frame does not mean where it is manufactured, it is a corporate HQ address.
    To those who think Glock is open and transparent my word is: Okay.