Glock w slip over grips

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Magnum27, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

So I really want to get the Glock 17 for its reputation of reliability but I HATE the standard grip on it. It is really to uncomfortable. I am looking at Houge or Pachmayr slip over grips. How are these, I know that they are cheap but do they make a difference. And if I bought them do you think a range would let me try it it on a rental?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Why don't you buy a gun with a grip you like?

[​IMG]

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

If you're gonna choose between hogue and pachmayar, go with the pachmayar. The grip is a lot tackier, you'll like it better! Btw, 1000 POSTS! WOO HOO! WHERE'S MY PRIZE?!!!!!!

4. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I have shot a Glock 17 & 19, M&P .40 and 9mm, Springfield XD9, and Ruger P89. I like the MP9 the best but have read there are issues with accuracy and the Smith & Wesson is not as reliable as the Glock.

I am new to guns and since so many people love the 17 I figure it is just the grip I hate. I figured I would give it one last chance with a grip slip.

5. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Congrats - you win the prize of telling me which 9mm I should buy! :)

yes I know - get the one I love best!

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Can't go wrong with a Glock 17 man. I just sold mine and got a FNH FNX-9 b/c I got bored with the Glock. But for real, the G17 is an amazing pistol

7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

If you don't like the gun then don't buy it...get something you like overall. I own Glocks, Sigs, Springfields, and Smith & Wessons...I can assure none if them is more reliable than the other. I have a full size M&P .45 and compact M&P .40...if you like them then get one. They are reliable and accurate. Get out there and find the one you like the most. If you don't like the grip on the gun then you probably won't enjoy it once you get it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Thanks for the info G17 and USMC.

I guess I have done so much research BEFORE I shot i believe the Glock 17 is the best gun for what I am looking for right now. I just am seeing if I will grow to like it.

One of the areas that I guess is impacting me other than the rough grip is slide bite. I have shot 100 rounds on each gun I mentioned (6 in all) and have been bitten by the 19 and 17 but none of the others. I will give the 19 a pass because it is the first time I ever shot, but the 17 was the 5th of the 6 i shot.

Are Glocks worse for that? I read that on one thread and another said that is ridiculous.

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Pretty ridiculous really

10. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

To clarify - Glocks are no worse for slide bite than another gun? Just asking. Like I said I want the Glock.

11. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I've never had an issue with slide bite on a Glock or any other pistol. One of the guys I went to the academy with had some issues with the Glock giving him slide bite, but he had huge hands and liked to get a really high grip...just had too much meat on his hand I guess. He's the only guy I've ever seen have that issue.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive seen a guy gash his thumb pretty good during a re-qual, but it was because of poor grip placement. Thats called a self correcting problem

13. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Imho forget about the slip on grips, sounds to me you kno what you want. The G17 a fine pistol i know i own 1, my first actually. Very dependable i must say i trust it with my life. But as far as grips go try Talon grips they make a rubber version now thats a must have. Adds a great purchase to you firearm without adding bulk to the grip. I honestly couldnt praise them enough. Do a youtube search and see for urself.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

The hogue adds quite a bit of bulk, the pachmayar does not

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Beaver shot?

I think part of the reason I shot better with the Glocks may be because the barrel is lower and closer to my hand than the 1911s. ‘canebrake's’ post #2 on this thread shows the distance difference between the thumb/trigger finger web and the barrels on the 1911 & Glock.

There is an aftermarket ‘Beavertail’ that fits on the Glock that doesn’t look like it raises the barrel too much:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=glo...&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=853&bih=467
    I think I also saw a grip mounted laser sight that also integrated a beavertail.