Glock Talk

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by scott_gen, Apr 24, 2012.

1. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Before you rail me for creating this thread, know that I searched as much as the iPhone app would allow.

Looking for input on the Glock 17 and 19. So far the only threads I've seen are showing them off or questions about accessories.

My itch to purchase another gun has landed my eyes on the 17 and /or the 19. I was hoping that owners of these models could chime in and share some feedback about their guns. Are there huge differences in the generations? Ant help is appreciated.

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

Lots of threads on both.
    My first pistol was a G19. My last purchase was a G19 4th gen. They fit my hand perfectly and 9's are effective and economical. I also have a G17c 3rd gen. I like the new recoil spring and checkering on the 4th gen. It has been flawless. I never had many complaints with the 3rd gen though.
    The G19 is by far my favorite. It is more compact than the G17 and lighter. In fact, if I would have bought the G19 first, I probably would have never bought the G17c.

3. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Thanks and I saw a ton of threads on both but like I said, it was more of a show off thread or accessories thread.

So you like the 19 more than the 17? I've held both at the gun store and can't really feel that big of a difference. Maybe it's because I'm new to the Glock platform.

I had originally looked at a Springfield XD but since the Glocks are situated right next to them that it was hard NOT to pay attention to them.

4. Staestc

Staestc New Member

For me the most important difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 was the cost difference. The gen 3 17 fit my hand perfectly do was my first handgun purchase. I put night sights on it, the later a 3.5 lb ghost rocket connector. The connector made a huge difference and while I liked it before, it's fantastic now. 9mm is great because ammo is priced right. Both gens and both frames are great guns!

5. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I've only seen Gen 4 at my local shop. What's the price difference? Is it substantial enough to make someone sway their Gen choice? What did you pay if you don't mind offering that info.?

I have yet to see ANY bad ANYTHING about glocks, I'm guessing it's a no brainier but would entertain any more input.

6. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

I just bought a new gen 3 g19 over the 17 and gen 4. It was a$50 difference between gen. However with the gen 4 you get an extra magazine and the grip texture is different. Just liked how the gen 3 g19 felt and fired in my hands over the other glocks, m & p, and xd.

7. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

Oh, and I paid $519 otd

8. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

You can't even really call it a cost difference when the Gen4 comes with 3 factory mags and the Gen3 only comes with two.

9. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

Personally I like the stippling on the gen4 grips, they're also a bit slimmer with no back strap..... Plus I'm a lefty so being able to flip my mag release over is awesome!

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

The gen 4's cost more? Thats... Well i guess it isn't really surprissing. Use cheaper parts, charge more. The method of success for all businesses, even glock i guess :/

11. miay0187

miay0187 New Member

Oh boy.... Here we go

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I prefer the 19 as the palm swell seems a bit smaller and fits my hand better and is easier to conceal. You can use the 15 round mags, 17 round mags and even the 33 rounders in the 19 regardless. So its the same firepower, the grip is plenty long enough and the barrel isn't that much shorter. I chose the 19 for the for the versatility and the comfort.

13. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I have the 17 and have put grip tape on the grips as I use it for competition and my hands get sweaty during the summer. I bought the 17 because the way it felt and the length. I love my 17 and would buy it all over again if I had a choice.

14. Staestc

Staestc New Member

I probably should have said that I have decal grips on my Gen 3 17 too. It's getting hot here now and it helps sweaty palms. I got the rubber version of the grips and I really like them.

15. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I really liked those as well till mine came off. I then went with skateboard grip tape and cut it to fit.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I like the 19 better than the 17, perfect size for me. I'd rather have Gen 4 but nothing wrong with Gen 3, try both and choose the fit you like. What I have is the 23Gen4 actually and a 40-9mm conversion barrel.

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have fairly large hands, so I prefer the 17. I also enjoy my G21.

Go with the model that fits your hand the best.

18. devildog24

devildog24 New Member

I sometimes carry both a 17 and a 19 with G-17 mags for reloads. Both great guns.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

What "cheaper parts" are you referring to? The Gen4 Glocks have several engineering changes from the previous Generations, plus they come with an extra magazine. For $50 more? Seems like a good deal to me.

Where do you get your info? Just curious, because when it comes to Glocks you are way off base.

20. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I'm going to side step the Glock debates and go to the OP:

You did not mention if you intent to carry this? As an EDC the G19 would be the ideal of the two. It is important in any firearm purchase to go rent each and then fire at least 100-200 rounds before making a decision.