Glock storage question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Abc1911, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

Okay I noticed after I saftey checked my glock 19 and took the magazine out I racked the slide and pulled the trigger to dry fire it to put it away in the safe and noticed the trigger does not reset unless I rack the slide again so when you store your glock away for a long period of time is it better and safer to store your glock after you pulled the trigger so its not reset or should you rack the slide and reset the trigger, then store it? Does it matter? Im new too glocks my m&p dosent do this after the click you can keep pulling the trigger but on the glock after you hear the click the trigger stays back unless you rack it so how should I have my glock when im putting it in the safe?

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I do store my Glocks either way. Both ways won't hurt them.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Doesn't really matter. I pull the trigger then put the mag back in (not suggested) and lock it up.

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Whatever you feel more comfortable with :p

It won't hurt your Glock.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I was going to say "In the river", but....

Doesn't the original box for the Glock require that the trigger be pulled for it to set in the box correctly?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Idk I'd have to dig it out. Which I'm not gonna do right now. You may be right.

7. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Mine came in a foam lined carry case. You can stick it in there anyway you want.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have the Tupperware. I know a big tab goes through the trigger guard to hold the gun in place.

9. Toby59

Toby59 New Member

The original Gen 1 Glock boxes had a post with a flag on it that fit in the trigger guard. It "required" you to press the trigger prior to storage in that box. My understanding was it was to inhibit storing the gun loaded, not because it is better to store the gun with the trigger pressed.

Bottom line, the gun can be stored either way.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

When you store it throw a couple of moth balls in with it......keeps it fresh

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Don't forget to burp the lid. :D

13. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I like to use bags of rice, cheap, works well and you just toss it in the trash every month or so. I keep one on every shelf of the safe.

14. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

Do you put the guns in the rice?

15. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

I've always stored my Glocks with the trigger rearward. The striker spring is not compressed at this point, and on a closed slide and trigger rearward....you know that there's no live round in the chamber when you pick it up. Habit of mine.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If I am not planning on using them for a long time or storing a new gun for the future. I like to squeeze the trigger before storing it. Probably does not matter either way. I also do that with my ARs and Bolt Guns by squeezing the trigger and slowly closing the bolt. Just the way I do it. As stated it is what ever you feel comfortable with. I went to Glock Armorer School and the Advanced Armorer School at there was no mention either way that I recall!

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

An unloaded gun is a very expensive club. I store almost all my guns loaded. I take the safety rule "treat every gun as if it were loaded" literally. If you see a gun in my house, you can bet it is loaded.

The Glock does not have a "second strike" capability. I used to prefer the ability to try a round again. It MAY go off the second time. I now feel if the round is bad, get rid of it (rack the slide) and go on with a second round (tap-rack). If it did not go bang because it hit on an empty chamber, snapping the trigger 100 times will not make it go bang. Tap-rack and get back in the fight.