Glock Shooting Advice, please

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by nixfix, Sep 5, 2014.

1. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Purchased my first Glock this week and got to shoot it today. I cleaned it prior to shooting and it ran without any hiccups. However, my accuracy with it was not great. It wasn't until after 150 rounds that I was able to put 3 shot groups under an inch at 7 yards, but that was super slow firing.

Whenever I shot rapidly or as soon as the target was reacquired, everything went pretty much low and to the right. I dry-fired a bunch right there at the range but the results were the same. Accurate as slow fire, trending towards terrible at faster rate of fire. My point of reference is shooting my FNS-9, with which I am a 1.5-2 inch group shooter at 7 yards.

I know it takes practice with a new gun, but this outing was rather disappointing. Any advice on flattening out the 'ole learning curve?

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Assuming your a righty
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409958508.223632.jpg

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Here is what you do, CLEAR YOUR GUN, take a sight picture at something, squeeze your trigger focusing on your front sight post and watch it wiggle between the rear sight post, it should wiggle to the left and down for most right hand people, work on your grip and TRIGGER pull till you can dry fire it without the front sight post wiggle. With most people and glocks your sight will be stable u till the trigger breaks and you yank the front of the gun out of alignment.

just get comfortable and keep working on your trigger, what helps me is if I keep my entire finger off the frame and only contact the trigger, if the rest of my trigger finger touches the frame I will pull the shot most of the time. If you are having problems keeping the gun stable when the trigger breaks you may want to consider the .25 cent trigger job or a lighter connector to lower the trigger pull weight. Glocks take some getting use to for most people and if you bought a Gen 4 glock their triggers are especially clicky when the break.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. AR10

AR10 New Member

What model Glock?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. AR10

AR10 New Member

I would respectfully suggest if someone has trouble ridding a motorcycle, a high performance motorcycle is not going to make the problems go away.

6. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Would you suggest a 90lb girl with a 10 lb trigger body build until she is strong enough to shoot it or get a fire arm with a lighter trigger she can handle?

Hence the first part of my paragraph was practice....

7. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Thanks for the advice. This pistol certainly takes getting used to. After some dry firing, I figured out that the blade in the trigger (aka the trigger safety) seems to impact my trigger pull. Now, the question is do I figure out how to shoot the Glock, or just keep using what I know how to.

As I am starting in competition, the Glock system is very appealing to me, so I think I will pay my dues...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Slow down. Don't rush to hit the target again after an accurate shot.

Grip high and tight.

Watch your trigger finger "not" to be caught in the death grip motion. Separate it mentally from the rest of your hand. It should move the trigger but not the frame.

9. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

If squeezing the trigger pulls your aim off target, the trigger is to stiff IMHO. I installed the Ghost trigger kit in all three of my Glocks with no problems. There is also a Glock factory trigger connector that I'm told will also give a lighter pull. You may hear from some self appointed pooh bah that every problem ever experienced with a Glock is due to the Ghost trigger. There are too many Ghost products functioning perfectly for that to be true. It is more likely that working on the trigger is above their pay grade.

10. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Good advice here

I have the Glock 19 Gen 4 (about 5 months now ) and here is what I have found

1) If you are shooting right (and low), lets start with the right - TOO MUCH trigger finger - meaning your too close to crease on your finger, ease away from that.

2) Now if you get that fixed but shooting low, figure our sight picture. At 7 yards , the red target should SIT on the front blade (6 oclock sight picture) so surprised you are low - make sure you are holding the gun HIGH and tight

See how this works out

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I use a Glock 34 in IDPA competition. It came with a good trigger, but I took it apart and polished all the trigger parts to a high polish mirror finish. It has good smooth trigger pull and good trigger break. I am at a point that I do not think as much about trigger pull, I concentrate on sights and target alignment.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-UbatREbo"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-UbatREbo[/ame]

13. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Another 150 rounds through the 17. Not improving. Here is me shooting six shots at 7 yards, left is Glock 17, right is S&W Bodyguard (which has a horrid trigger and 2.75" barrel).

Maybe the Glock ain't for me.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1410018055.199727.jpg

14. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

run to WalMart, grab a small can of mother mag polish in the automotive aisle and some q tips, give the trigger group a quick mirror polish, you will be amazed how much it smooths out the trigger tension, takes about 15 minutes. And after market sights will go a long way to.

Below is a before and after, gun is gen 4 19 with tritium night sights, shot off hand at 10 yards during break in period. The right side is before trigger polish, left (small target) is after.

EDIT: the right side is not a "fair" representation of a base line because I was expirementing with different grips and stances but is more a general idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Looks like you are accustomed to the long heavy DA trigger pull. Your finger likes the positive resistance. You may like to stage the trigger.

That's too much force for the Glock. You'll have to reset your muscle memory. Relax the finger (but not the grip!) and pull evenly. Don't anticipate the release. The Glock trigger is too vague for that. Don't stage it, just do your part, let it surprise you.

Another area that may need attention is your breathing. Take 1-2 deep breaths before shooting, normally exhale, then hold your breath as you start working the trigger. That will give you more time before the hand tremor inevitably sets in. Do it for every shot, don't double down yet.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  16. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Well, today marks the end of my Glock experiment. Rented a PPQ M2 and below are the first five shots at 15 yards. Why learn a Glock trigger when there is something better suited to me out of the box. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1410641521.415494.jpg