Firearms Talk banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it is true that a holstered Glock with one in the chamber is safe, then it surely follows that another holstered handgun with one in the chamber and thumb safety engaged is, at a bare bones minimum, at least as safe.
yup. they are safe. just like a 1911 chambered and safety on is safe.

but, I won't carry a 1911 concealed because again, I don't like how easy it is to flick the safety off and pull that very light, single action trigger.

just personal preference. I love my 1911 that I have tricked out for competition shooting, but I'd never carry it.

then again, with the modifications to the safeties and trigger, Ive forgotten how a "bone stock mil-spec" 1911 feels, so maybe if I went and bought a second 1911 and left it alone, I might feel safe carrying it. however, I prefer my Beretta again, because I can carry 15+1 of .40 and the mag sits flush with the frame, instead of 10+1 of .45 if I'm using my extended 1911 mags.

(and some folks will prefer to carry 9mm because they can carry 18+1 capacity in the same size package)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I hear your point. always follow the safe rules...every gun is loaded, finger off trigger until ready to shoot, etc. but, the fact of the matter is, bad things CAN happen.

what do you have to say about the story (with pics) that I saw on here, where the gentleman was carrying a pistol (don't remember if it was glock, but pretty sure it was) in an all leather holster. his hand wasn't anywhere near the weapon. he was getting into a vehicle. the leather had "gone soft" with age, and the motion of getting into the vehicle, fired off a round, it grazed his *** cheek making him bleed a little, and put the round into the floor board of the car after going through the seat.

Sure, now that we've all heard the story, we know to look for it, (learning from others mistakes) but what happens when something "off the wall" like that happens that we HAVEN'T heard about or thought about?

failure to recognize that something like this might happen, in my opinion, is like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand.

however, I feel Glocks ARE safe to carry and if I had a Glock, I would carry one "hot"

But, I carry a Beretta chambered, safety off. hammer down. that long heavy first trigger pull is something that I feel would make it nearly impossible to accidentally pull the trigger if my holster breaks down, or some other odd thing may happen.
Remember that little part of firearms safety about care and maintenance of weapons and equipment? That includes holsters. This situation was a result of negligence. Its no different from driving 100k miles in your car without ever changing the oil and then acting surprised when the motor blows up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There you go assuming you know anything at all about me. You obviously do not.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/officer-376248-department-police.html
Quote all the instances you like, the truth remains. If you maintain your equipment and keep your finger off the trigger then you wont shoot yourself. I promise!

If you dont follow the firearms safety rules, then a manual safety lever will not help you.

My posts are not meant to be inflammatory. I just dont sugar coat things. Guns do not fire themselves. I dont care what brand is stamped on the side.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
yup. they are safe. just like a 1911 chambered and safety on is safe.

but, I won't carry a 1911 concealed because again, I don't like how easy it is to flick the safety off and pull that very light, single action trigger.

just personal preference. I love my 1911 that I have tricked out for competition shooting, but I'd never carry it.
What cuda said. I love my 1911, (mine's not tricked out, it's stock), too, but EDC? No way. I'm puzzled at this obsession with external safeties. The new technology isn't really new any more, it's proven. To each his own, I feel safer carrying my M&P in C1 with no external safeties than I ever did with my 1911 that has three.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
ryguy00 said:
Quote all the instances you like, the truth remains. If you maintain your equipment and keep your finger off the trigger then you wont shoot yourself. I promise!

If you dont follow the firearms safety rules, then a manual safety lever will not help you.

My posts are not meant to be inflammatory. I just dont sugar coat things. Guns do not fire themselves. I dont care what brand is stamped on the side.
Yes, we really do get it. We are not arguing that the gun will go off on its own even if you keep your finger off the trigger and obey safety rules so please stop repeating yourself and attempt to understand what I am saying, please. Personally I have spent the past 35 years of my life shooting guns with traditional safeties while practicing ALL safety rules all the time. After 35 years, I have certain paradigms in my mind about how a gun should be equipped. When you hand me a gun that has no real "traditional" safety it stirs up irrational fears about the equipment, not my personal skill level or ability to keep my "booger hook off the bang switch" as you said. What I am looking for is maybe some statistics on Glock safety records or an explanation of the three safety systems in a glock and how they work to put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I suggest unloading and safety checking. In front of a mirror, holster your glock after racking the slide. Draw and acquire target in mirror keeping finger off trigger. Reholster, rinse and repeat. You will build muscle memory for drawing and reholstering all the while unless clothing gets in the trigger guard, it will not dry fire. It should build confidence enough. Just an idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Longrange said:
I suggest unloading and safety checking. In front of a mirror, holster your glock after racking the slide. Draw and acquire target in mirror keeping finger off trigger. Reholster, rinse and repeat. You will build muscle memory for drawing and reholstering all the while unless clothing gets in the trigger guard, it will not dry fire. It should build confidence enough. Just an idea.
Good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good idea. Thanks for the feedback.
There have been lots of valuable suggestions and advice so far on how to overcome your dilemma. I'll make you a deal. Try whichever ones you like and if you're still not comfortable without a manual safety, we can work out a deal and i'll purchase your 27 from you. I've been looking for a 27 anyways and you can use the money for an M&P 40c which is the same size, same caliber, and does have a manual safety.

I plan to buy a 27 one way or the other within the next few weeks. I'll keep checking back to see your progress. Feel free to pm me if you like.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Of course there's always the Israeli method. I learned this, but don't see myself racking with my support hand very efficiently in the event my other hand is injured. I can, however, disengage an Ambi safety with either hand.
It's a very good thing to get comfortable with, I am versed with it.

I just recently started carrying (about a month ago. My only handgun is a glock 17. I understand where you're coming from as I am still somewhat uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. I use the Saf-T-Blok and still don't have one in the chamber, but I'm still getting used to CC. It fits fine in my Crossbreed super tuck ITW.
Honestly what is the point of either if you are doing the other? I suggest a hard holster or a hybrid for this type of firearm. I have one for my Nano and I would be comfortable enough with it. I don't carry with one in the chamber, but I am proficient with racking the slide "Israeli style" (I like how that sounds, it sounds like it's got certain spices on it).

This is not about my lack of confidence in my personal ability. You are way off base and out of line.
Just out of curiosity, what is it about then?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have been carrying guns around for over 40 years and still don't like to have one in the pipe while I'm walking around. I am willing to gamble that I have the half second or so to chamber a round. To each their own. Even when I carry the new army, I will shoot one off in the yard and leave the hammer on the empty chamber before I take off for the woods. Never had an AD. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ryguy00 said:
There have been lots of valuable suggestions and advice so far on how to overcome your dilemma. I'll make you a deal. Try whichever ones you like and if you're still not comfortable without a manual safety, we can work out a deal and i'll purchase your 27 from you. I've been looking for a 27 anyways and you can use the money for an M&P 40c which is the same size, same caliber, and does have a manual safety.

I plan to buy a 27 one way or the other within the next few weeks. I'll keep checking back to see your progress. Feel free to pm me if you like.
Thanks a lot for the offer. I will keep it in mind but I really do love this gun. It never jams and is 100% reliable. It had zero break in required and worked perfectly from the first shot fired. I added Pierce grip extensions to all my magazines which gives my pinky finger a place to land. I think it will just take a little more trigger time until I am fully comfortable carying it hot. Every day I feel more confident in the gun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks a lot for the offer. I will keep it in mind but I really do love this gun. It never jams and is 100% reliable. It had zero break in required and worked perfectly from the first shot fired. I added Pierce grip extensions to all my magazines which gives my pinky finger a place to land. I think it will just take a little more trigger time until I am fully comfortable carying it hot. Every day I feel more confident in the gun.
Put 2000 rounds through it. By then, anything else will just feel weird. I own several not cheap guns. Hk, kimber, browning, beretta, etc. But my glock 23 is the one that rides on my hip. There is a reason for that. Several in fact as you have already started to discover yourself. I want a 27 for my ankle. I guess im gonna have to keep looking. You are gonna fall in love with yours...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've carried Glocks for hundreds if not thousands of hours. At every position, with different holsters. They absolutely wont fire unless you put your finger on the trigger. I've done thousands of dry draws and never grab the gun with the trigger finger inside the guard. Practice until you are the same.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dizzll said:
I've carried Glocks for hundreds if not thousands of hours. At every position, with different holsters. They absolutely wont fire unless you put your finger on the trigger. I've done thousands of dry draws and never grab the gun with the trigger finger inside the guard. Practice until you are the same.
Redundant. Nobody disputes that fact and it is not the point of this thread.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have only had my Glock 19 for a few months, prior to that my concealed carry weapon was a S&W 638. No safety on these. Yet I felt uneasy with my Glock with one in the tube pocket carry until I got a Safe-T-Lock. These are a wonderful little item, I feel much more confident using it. If using my Fobus paddle holster which protects the trigger, the Safe-T-Lock is not required. As others have stated, keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire is paramount to gun safety.

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
danolator said:
Redundant. Nobody disputes that fact and it is not the point of this thread.
It's not redundant. The OP asked what would make him feel better about carrying his Glock which has no external safety. The only way he will feel better about that is if the gun doesn't go bang when he doesn't want it to. I can personally attest to the fact that a Glock (or any weapon for that matter) will not fire unless some external force (usually provided by a human) causes it to. Refer back to rule number 1. If the trigger isn't pressed then it won't fire. OP if you're not comfortable carrying the gun without an external safety then don't. There are plenty of other guns that are just as reliable and will fit your hand as well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Glock is much like a double action revolver. There isn't any safety on one of those is there? And people have been carrying them for many, many years with little to no problems. You sound like you are very well versed in gun safety so I believe you know not to rely on any mechanical safety. The only safety you should be able to rely on is your trained brain. As long as you are confident on your training with the Glock or any other pistol and have top notch equipment (holster) you should have no qualms carrying your Glock chambered.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
danolator said:
Couldn't resist this one. No telling what kind of gun it was and this guy was probably stupid, but the point is, one in the chamber & no safety. If it was a Glock, the trigger safety didn't do him much good. It appears some clothing or something made it go bang.

http://www.rn-t.com/view/full_story/21709427/article-Man-accidentally-shoots-himself-at-local-diner?instance=home_most_popular
That's why you should make sure everything is clear when reholstering. When I reholster my G35 I make sure my shirt and jacket are out of the way, so nothing will get snagged!! Also, I have my trigger finger extended on slide, so there is no chance it will pull the trigger.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts