Glock & +P; +P+ ammo?? What does Glock say??

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dillinger, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So this came up in another thread, and it's come up several times, so I decided to call the US "Assembly" plant in Ga today and find out first hand.

I talked to Darrell(Darryl) who was in tech support and asked specifically if there was a problem removing ANY Glock pistol from the shipping box and feeding it either +P or +P+ ammo.

His response:

Next I asked if they recommend upgrading any components like a recoil spring for someone that might want to carry these rounds exclusively and practice with them at a rate of two range trips a month.

Then I asked him if there was damage to the weapon and a customer sent it back with full disclosure that they had indeed been shooting +P and/or +P+ ammo in it, would this void the warranty or otherwise affect the level of service they received. This answer was a little less definite.

"So, Glock may question if the end user was handloading and this caused the problem?"

So, there you have it folks. Right from Tech Support in Georgia. You can shoot the hot stuff through your Glocks, but make sure and change your recoil springs frequently and have your data books up to date with the ammo you used just in case.

+1 for Glock on this issue.

JD

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Well, that's good to know they offer good customer service but I'm still not going to buy one. Sorry, JD.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Didn't say I was buying one either. I was merely putting a definitive answer to a question that came up a few times and no one had any rock solid evidence to support their claims.

Now we do. *shrug*

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I've seen the approval hinted at, even pretty well figured it was safe after reading the Nato pressure limits and proof test. Glad to see it come straight from the source.
    Thanks for going through the trouble of checking into it JD!:cool:
    [​IMG] x2

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What's that make their total :D

Seriously, edit in the polygonal rifling info about lead bullets (if accurate, I don't know) and sticky this post.

6. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Glad to see you were able to find a for sure answer!

But then I wonder if Glock is like Kel-Tec in warranty. Don't ask don't tell sort of policy. Of course I don't have a Glock so I haven't had to use their warranty service. Perhaps others here can tell what kind of questions they ask in this regard...?

7. doose

doose New Member

Good to know, I bought 500 rounds of 9MM Nato from an ammo warehouse a couple of months ago. Is Nato +P or +P+?? I know its higher in pressure and velocity than standard 9MM. Thank you for the info!!

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

+P+ is relatively similar to NATO as far as pressure levels go. With that said, its entirely possible for +P+ ammo to have less pressure (or FPS at least) than +P. The issue is that because there is no real regulation of +P+ there is no way for a firearms manufacturer to say they permit its usage.

As I pointed out in a thread that this one stemmed from, no reputable ammo maker (ie. Winchester, Remington) will likely make a +P+ round so powerful that it will "blow up" your pistola in your face. Its bad for business ;).

By the way, nice to see another C-Bus member. It was feeling pretty lonely in here :D

9. doose

doose New Member

I have only once fired +P+ out of a handgun, it was German stuff, can't remember the name. I have fired the NATO stuff that I have and on a side by side comparison to normal pressure 9MM, there is a noticeable difference in the recoil and report. Nothing too bad though. After shooting some .45, NATO is not that bad.
    Columbus is getting pounded by weather this winter!! I was just out at Lowes shopping for generators watching the freezing rain coming down, then sleet, then snow. No generator yet but soon.

10. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Its crazy isn't it? The only place in the world where you can have 90 degree weather today and 20 degree weather two days later! Looking at moving to Michigan some time this year. Lived there for a year at one time.

I always find myself spending more time on the survivalist portion of FTF when the weather gets like this.

11. doose

doose New Member

I go to Michigan quite a bit. My wife has family all over the state, Bay City is where my inlaws have a house. +P+ is good ammo!! Sorry had to try to stay on topic :):p
    I just signed up for some survivalist forum, maybe I need to get out of the house. :)

12. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I like most all guns, including Glocks.

13. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Quetion: How can the Glock guys tell if the loads were factory or reloads? I just saw a site that was selling +P+ stuff. I'm a rookie so school me on this.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Well an armorer told me they really can't tell. I'm sure they could figure it out if you sent in a blown up barrel. The +p or the +p+ loads have a lot more pressure then the standard loads. Glock has come out and said that they're barrels can handle the pressure. Most newer handgun should be able to. My carry load for my G17 are Buffalo Bore 147gn +p+ . They pack quite a whallop with a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps and muzzle energy of 451 ft.lbs. (which is equivalent to a .45 acp 230 gn fmj) but saying that I use a kkm precision barrel on my glock which has better overall tolerances then the stock barrel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using FirearmsTalk

15. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Figured as much for Glocks (have 4th Gen 17 and 27). I have an S&W Bodyguard 380 and Ruger LCP for pocket carry for me and my wife. I had the Bodyguard in for service a while back, and they made a point to tell me to NOT shoot +P or +P+ through it. Ruger says in their manual to not use +P, but I know a guy who was a salesman with Glock for 25 years, and he has a Ruger contact that says not only can you shoot +P through the LCP, but damage from +P rounds would be covered under warranty. I guess it's a bit of heresay, but I do trust this guy, and I do carry the LCP with +P.

16. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

That's good to know. As I have said before, no self-respecting ammunition manufacturer is going to knowingly market a round so hot that a consumers guns going to go ka-boom. The gun may wear quicker, but not blow to pieces. No one would buy their loads anymore! Same goes for +P+ as well.

As a side note, ruger can't prove jack if you don't mention it!

17. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Yeah, regardless of what the manufacturer says, my position will probably always be Winchester Whitebox Range Ammo :)

18. Johnnyb

Johnnyb New Member

I'm sure you already have, but if it is gonna be your carry ammo in the lcp, make sure it will cycle reliably, I had a S&W compact 9mm that would not cycle +p, it would ftf every round

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, there is a SAAMI standard for what IS +p ammo (only in .38 Special and 9mm Parabellum. ALL .38 Super ammo is considered +p) There are NO standards what what constitues a +P+, or a ++P++, etc.

Issue is not likely to be an explosive scattering of pieces parts of the handgun- it will be sharply accelerated wear and tear on the gun. Possibly a life span of 4-5 boxes of ammo (in an extreme case).

My suggestion- shoot the ammo that cycles your auto 100.0000% of the time. The 9mm Water Buffalo Crusher that will not feed or eject leaves you holding a poorly designed club.

9mm is not enuff for you? Go buy a .40. A .38 Special not up to it? That's why they make .357 magnums- which are WAY beyond any Plusing and Peeing.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

+p+

This is good info to know since I just bought a few boxes of Winchester Ranger T-series 127gr +p+ for my Glock 17 Gen4.

I was thinking the newer Gen4 recoil springs could handle the 42,000 psi with aplomb.

We shall see.