Glock or Smith & Wesson

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by potentialglock, Aug 26, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I'm debating between a glock 19 and an M&P9. The MP feels slightly more accurate and better in my hand (though that's negligible as they both feel comfortable and adjustable back straps are offered with both), however the glock is of course easier to clean and maintain. What are y'all's thoughts on each gun? Please give valid reasons, don't just go "oh glock is better".

2. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Whatchootalkinbout? This is news to me?

I think the original striker fired design that that Glock so masterfully marketed to the world is a very good one for several reasons. I Think Smith & Wesson has refined the design and is making a better product. I also like to spend my American dollars on American made products produced by American owned companies.

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Get both, then you wont have to lay awake at night wondering if you shoulda bought the other.

4. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

I was debating the same to guns just a month ago. I really liked the look and feel of the m&p. It felt better in my hand than the glock. BUT...I hated the trigger on the m&p. It would have cost me a couple hundred bucks to completely change out the trigger assembly with apex parts. That made for around $700 for a polymer 9mm. Too much for a plastic gun IMO. I got accustomed to the glock feel and trigger almost immediately. I was more accurate with the G19 simply because of the trigger. I ended up buying a used Gen 4 G19 for $400. I took it to glock and had them update all the internals and it's now a brand new gun (internally) with an amazing trigger. If S&W updates their trigger system, I might reconsider in the future. For now I love my G19.

5. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Glock is my choice but that is just me.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I recently bought my first Glock. As a died in the wool S&W guy it was a very difficult decision. The ONLY reason I went with a Glock was S&W does not make an M&P in 10mm. If I was choosing between the models listed, I would absofreakinglutely go Smith.

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

actually its only $90

8. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Do some research on the m&p9. I bought my m&p 40. Which I am very happy with. Then I did some research and found that I can switch out the barrels to a 9mm and a .357 mag barrel. Essentially making it 3 guns in one. Now I'm ecstatic about it... Not sure about the G19. But I know you can also do the same with the G22 and G23.

Plus the mags are universal. A .357 rnd will fit in a m&p .40 mag. They are the same mag for both types. And a 9mm mag fits perfectly in the m&p40. So all you have to do is switch the barrel

9. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

You need to switch out the recoil spring as well. The 9mm isn't powerful enough to consistently compress the spring designed for .40

Back on track...

Get the M&P. Quit sending all our money overseas.

Don't be like Obama .

OMG! = Obama Must Go!

10. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Glad I bought the .40 then

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The M&P is a lot more comfortable in my hand than the Glock 19. The Glock felt like it had a better trigger. I shot best with a Glock of all the guns I tried, but I never did get to fire an M&P. A couple of things called it for me. It’s ubiquitous aftermarket items; sights, holsters, smithing, etc., & ease of takedown,

and there is no such thing as a preban M&P 15 round magazine (I live in NYS).

The S&W’s are made here. I thought Glock had a factory in GA but I was wrong. Here are the Wikipedia pages on Glock & S&Ws M&P.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&W_M&P

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

I didn't like the actual "safety" trigger on the m&p, so I was looking at the apex FSS trigger kit which was around $160 plus the cost of install from a smith. Puts me around $200 extra. M&p is still a great gun. Just depends on what you shoot best.

13. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Any careful amateur can improve the stock M&P trigger quite a bit with about 2 sq. in. of 3M 800 grit automotive sandpaper and a drop of oil.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Recommend placing the sandpaper on a piece of glass.

15. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

see I hate that little nub in the Glock trigger to each his own. but I vmcan tell you their parts are super easy to instal

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can take it off and lighten your trigger pull by about a pound (voids warranty). The nub is basically just there to center the piece on the safety. It wasn't there is earlier models and basically just adds a lot of friction to the trigger pull.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You should probably own the pistol that fits your hand better . The glock could be to large for some hands but beyound that the accuracy of both is comparable and the triggers are close enough ether can be shot well with time behind the trigger. We have a glock17 and I have shot a buddies M&P full size. I do like the trigger better on the glock but that does not say that much. Glocks do tend to run drier better than most pistols so maybe it takes less to maintan it than others. But then both should be checked and cleaned equally.

18. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

I would go with the M&P. Good ergonomics count for a lot in good shooting. The trigger breaks in very nicely with use and can be easily upgraded with Apex parts. As a Glock and S&W armorer I can assure you that build quality and durability are equal. And don't listen to anyone who claims accuracy issues with the M&P. My agency is running dozens of M&P's and qualification scores went up noticeably when we switched to Smith & Wesson (from Glock).

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Same shooters & same ammo? I'm less than satisfied with my 9mm targets. I do just fine with the 22lr. I'm wondering, how different are the sights on the M&P from the stock Block?