GLOCK or MP

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by dickie3625, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to carry a Glock for 6 years in AK and I did not not like it simply becasue I did not shoot it as well as others guns (hit probability). I could shoot my old 59 series S&W and score 10+ points higher on quals, but I was REQUIRED to carry the Glock! Enter the M&P, I shot it as good or better than the 5906/03's so I used it here for several years but I went back to the 5903 duty and the 3913 off duty about a year ago (all metal;)), BUT when I read the reviews of the M&P 2.0 compact by several Glock guys who said they liked it BETTER THAN THE GLOCK I nearly carped my britches!!! To have a Glock worshiper say that it must be good. I got one (IPO sale, 3 mags and night sites) and I am here to tell you it is the best hand gun I have ever used in 40+ years of LE. Nuff said.:cool:

2. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

What about the M&P has changed in the 2.0 that makes you feel so strongly? I have a shield and an M&P Pro series...good pistols and I shoot them well. Sounds like the 2.0 may have improved in some significant way?

3. JimRau

There are several things, but they are cumulative. I comes with 4 grip adapters rather than 3, the texturing is more aggressive on the grip, the trigger (out of the box) is very good, the over all size and weight is good for both duty and most off duty carry, and it just shoots well for me. What I like for a combat/defense zero on a hand gun is to put a 4 inch circle at 10 yd/30 ft use a 6 o'clock hold from a standing two handed hold and put all my shoots inside the 4 inch circle (as near the center as possible) and this gun does it all. I have a shield with NS I use for most of my off duty as well.

Mouser likes this.
  4. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

Makes sense...the M&P series is a time proven design and many of the manufacturers are making ergonomics a top priority (Springfield's Mod 2) and trigger quality, imo, is really improving...the VP series from HK and then the Walther PPQ set the bar and looks like Smith is jumping aboard too....for my money, trigger quality is my #1 feature in terms of importance.

5. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

6. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

Yes...Glock too! I own a 19 and 35 and enjoy them though their design is pretty proven and the Gen 5 seems to be at a point where they are picking the fly sh** out of the pepper...really not a bad place to be imo

LT2108 likes this.
  7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

8. colmustard

colmustard Active Member

Would choose the m&p. Nothing against the glock, I carry a gen 4 model 21 for work but the grip angle is not something I like. The m&p has a optimum grip angle that most pistols use while the glock is different. If your used to the glock then you would be fine but if not it takes getting used to. Also it seems that while glock was a innovator years ago that has changed. Other companies are beating them at there own game by improving on the striker fired polymer design while glock seems to be slow to change.

This does not make glock bad but it may make other companies and better value as they offer more features for a similar price as well as the durability you would want.

Good luck

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Where have you been hiding at, mustard?

colmustard likes this.
  10. JimRau

Exactly, my hit probability with is glock was less than that of the S&W, nuff said!:)

colmustard likes this.
  11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Well, back in March I posted about my new carry.
    The moment I picked up the MP Shield in .45acp I knew it was the one. It felt natural in my hand. I purchased one with a thumb safety. Good trigger, shoots great and reliable.
    As for Glock, I have three of them 34, 26, and 41. Use the 34 for IDPA shooting.
    A 45.jpg

12. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what I carry, very pleased with it and shoot it often

13. colmustard

colmustard Active Member

Hi! Sorry have been crazy busy! Bought a house and had a son and work! Glad to be back, missed you all!

primer1 likes this.