Glock or M&P

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by indyfan, Aug 9, 2010.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I've decided to buy a polymer pistol. My very first polymer.

I'm stuck between a Glock 22 (3rd gen) or M&P 40. Both feel pretty good in hand, but I've never fired either of them nor do I know anyone who owns one.

Anyone own one? Fired one? I just wanted some input from you guys before I make my decision

thank you much

-indy

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I prefer the way the trigger guard is on the S&W. My trigger finger does "drag" on the bottom of the guard like it does with a Glock.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No one can tell you what pistol is going to fit your hand and shoot well FOR YOU!!

You need to go and shoot them yourself. Find a local range that rents handguns and give them a try. Whatever one fits your hands, shoots on target the best, FOR YOU, is the one you need to consider.

And f*ck the rest of us mooks and what we like. :D

Good luck!

JD

4. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Thats the problem, I don't know anyone who owns these guns and we don't have a rental range near my town so I'm pretty much buying it blind. I'm most likely gonna go with the M&P 40 since it feels good in my chubby hands. (and the local police in my city issue the MP40)

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Since you asked, I will have to side with the M&P. Much better fit and feel for me. With the interchangeable back strap you can get the feel that is good for you.

JMO, go for the M&P.

Best thing to do is go to a range that rents both and give them a try for yourself.

Let us know what you go for.

GO M&P
    GO M&P
    GO M&P
    GO M&P;)

6. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

Have you looked at H&K? But I agree you need to shoot each one to know
    the one you like.

Murfdog:)

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What works for me may not work for you.
    Grab ear and eye protection and check out a range near you. Obey the range rules and talk with shooters there. Most will be happy to tell you what they like and dislike.
    I have let observers shoot my handguns if they seemed to be serious (but not everyone will do that).
    Good luck

8. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

Get the best of both worlds.
    Buy a Glock 22 Gen 4.
    Personally I'd get the Gen4 17. Ammo is cheaper and you get to shoot more.
    And you can get SD/HD ammo that is as hot and hard hitting as 40SW.

9. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

It's your choice. You'll be the one shooting it. Fire each pistol a good amount to see what works best for you.

However since you don't have a rental range near you :(... I vote you go for the Glock. But that's just my opinion :D.

10. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Turns out my friend owns an Glock 21. So Im gonna shoot it tomorrow and see how I like it. As for the M&P, I may just have to research it more

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it

11. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

I would go with the glock.

12. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I'm almost buying one blind too (few ranges around). However, guess I'm fortunate in that a Glock feels like the proverbial 'caulking gun' :p and just points all wrong to me...so at least that is easily ruled out.

Both the South Australian & Victorian police here have gone with the MP40 also.

13. jbd

jbd New Member

I own a Glock 23 and a M&P 9mm full size and for me the M&P is the way to go, but just like is stated above if you can hold and shoot both. I think you will find the M&P points more natural than the Glock. They both are well made guns and reliable. I have 10,000 plus rounds through Glock with no problems, I've owned it since 1999. I have 3,000 rounds through M&P with no problems, so I think you are ok with reliability on both. I think it will come down to fit and feel. Good luck and happy shooting.

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've been very happy with my MP 45. But there was never a question for me about buying a Glock. I'm still old fashioned enough to feel I should support American companies when I can. Nothing more American then having a Smith & Wesson strapped on your side.:D

Attached Files:

15. Bighead

Bighead New Member

If you have to buy them without shooting them, go with your first impression about how the gun feels in your hand, how the gun points for you, and how the trigger press feels to you.

My choice would be Glock, but that is because I have 16 years carrying Glocks and have been through extensive firearms training with Glock pistols. I like the Smith, but my familiarity with Glock makes it hard to walk away from.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Let us know what you decide.

16. Grog

Grog New Member

I went to the range with a buddy last night. I am 6 ft tall with good sized hands. He is 6' 4" with hands about the same size. He shot my Glock 27, with finger extensions on the magazines, but for some reason he wound up with a blood blister at the spot where the magazine meets the gun. I have never had this happen. You really do need to shoot the guns first. I really like my Glock but you may not.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

I carry a M&P 45 most of the time, I have shot Glocks but the grip angle doesn't fit me well. I could tell you why I like the M&P more than a Glock but that is just my opinion. If you can't shoot both I expect you can hold both, it comes down to what fits your hand better and your natural point of sight is better.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

18. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

What WDB said. (M&P .40). ;)

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I almost always have to buy guns semi-blindly. At best I get to hold them, access function levers/buttons and if I'm real lucky DRY-FIRE THEM!

Both guns will serve you well. Many folks hate the way Glocks feel, but I have never thought the grip to be that problematic. I no longer own a Glock, but I have in the past and never had an issue with function, reliability or shoot-ability.

Not much experience with M&P pistols. However as stated above, there's quite a bit of satisfaction and pride that comes with owning an American made piece of innovation and craftsmanship. Smith and Wesson provides exactly that. :)

20. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm a proud Glock owner. After alot of research, I went with the G19 because its compact, held 15 rounds, fit snug in my hand and was 80 dollars less than the M&P. Thanks for the input guys.
    [​IMG]