Glock or CZ?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by stevem8, Jul 4, 2012.

1. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

I'm looking to purchase a 2nd gun. I've always loved the Glock 19. A buddy of mine told me to shoot a CZ before I made up my mind. So my last range visit I shot the CZ 75b. I really liked the feel of the steel frame and the ergos were super comfortable. The one I shot had a FTF every other round. I only shot off 8-10 rounds. Tried different ammo brands and had the same issues. It was super dirty inside and the slide spring was very light. I know the slide spring has nothing to do with it, but it felt very worn down. The reviews of the CZ are great. Not too many people don't like it. I also enjoyed the DA/SA trigger.

So, for those of you with experience with both guns, what do you recommend? Did I get a lemon tester at the range? Should I expect the same reliability from both pistols? All the Glocks I've tested are flawless. Never a FTF. I don't care too much for the looks of Glocks, but there is just something comforting about owning a gun you know will perform no matter what!
    I'll eventually own both guns, but my question is, which gun would you choose first?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

problem was the spring was worn it needed to be replaced. very common on extremely high round count range guns. seen that issue on glocks 1911s xdm berreta just about everything that is in a rental situation is pretty abused.

recoil springs should be changed every 2500-5000 rounds if not more often

cz75b are superb firearms and will outshoot a glock any day of the week. if i had to choose it would be the cz no question at all. much better gun.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have both and have no shortage of confidence in either doing its part.

The CZ is more fun to shoot, has a far better trigger, is a nicer, sharper looking gun, and makes a better shooter out of me. The 75b is one of my favorite platforms. Ultra accurate and reliable. The only down side is that it's a bit heavy to carry if that's part of the equation.

The only thing I like better about Glock is the light weight and the fact that its finish will really stand up to abuse. But that goes for most polymer frames, and I prefer the ergos and triggers on XDm and M&P to Glock. And they're every bit as tough and reliable in my experience.

YMMV.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A properly cleaned and maintained CZ 75 is a pleasure to shoot.

I have nothing against Clocks, but the couple I've owned were sold fairly fast.

6. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

Wow. 4 solid CZ votes. I really thought I'd get more evenly dispersed votes. I think I can buy one more gun this year, then another early next year. I was thinking Glock first then CZ, but I may need to rethink that. I really want to shoot the CZ more. Hopefully the other local range will have one in better shape I can test.

7. oli700

oli700 New Member

I can vouch for the CZ75 SP-01 Tac. I have almost 2k through mine 5 different factory loads and 3 different reload recipes and not one hint of a problem. The only thing I ran into is the tight chamber tolerance of the CZ doesn’t allow for max overall length of some 124gr and 147gr projectiles when reloading but all you have to do is reduce the charge a touch and seat the projectile lower in the case…..same as the XDm apparently they still care about accuracy in Eastern Europe. It chambers any and all factory loaded ammo fine

THE nicest service pistol I have ever shot. It is like a 1911 and a High Power had a kid.....that was better than the parents lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

Beautiful gun! I really need to shoot one.
    Can anyone compare the triggers to that of a Glock?

9. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

This one is a joy to shoot.

[​IMG]

10. oli700

oli700 New Member

Two different trigger systems all together. In the end I like them both for different reasons.
    The CZ is double action first pull and then single action every shot after that. The cool thing about the CZ decocker (75 BD, SP-01 Tac, P-01) is that it decocks the hammer to a half cock position so the first pull it really is only a half of a DA pull. Stock they are a tad heavy of a first pull (DA)as the stock hammer spring is 20# but totally doable.
    The single action pull it shorter than a Glock pull but for a DA/SA with a firing pin block it is as good as any SA/DA pistol out there but not as good as an SA only pistol for instance a 1911. The trigger would be exceptional but it has some creep before the break. Again not too big of a deal with training.

With the standard safety CZ (75 B, SP-01) you can carry cocked and locked just like a 1911. Hard to get the drop on someone carrying cocked and locked.

The Glock trigger is not bad at all just feels different than a DA/SA trigger. The plus is that the trigger is the same every pull.

I ordered a custom hammer and a spring kit from Cajun Gun Works for my CZ. Installed it all myself and got out of it with a trigger that is better than most 1911 stock triggers for less than 200 bucks and IMO rivals a 1911 of my FIL’s that has a $500 trigger….he has a stock SR1911 as well and my reworked CZ blows it out of the water. For less than 200 bucks I have a creep free 3.5# SA and 8.5# DA pull. That is polishing, RP firing pin block spring, RP firing pin return spring, 13# hammer spring, RP trigger return spring and a defensive carry cut hammer.

Glocks can be modified to be real nice too but nothing beats the feel of a CZ 75…..and once you get used to the feel and pick up any other pistol than it just doesn’t feel as nice anymore. In my collection I only have one poly frame, a Sigma. It is a Glock clone but the grip feels better than a Glock IMO. After running 2K through the CZ the Sigma literally feels like a toy gun ….a squirt gun . Before I bought the SP-01 I almost bought a 96A1. Loved it , sweet pistol but went with the CZ. I went back to buy the 96A1 about a week ago and once it hit my hand I just couldn’t drop the cash…..I am getting another CZ…..YMMV. BTW the SP-01 in the pic packs 20 rounds

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  11. oli700

oli700 New Member

Hard to beat stainless with wood grips , dont matter what kind of gun just a cool combo

12. stevem8

stevem8 New Member

Gorgeous! One of the prettiest I've seen!

13. kycol

kycol New Member

I likes the look

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If the weight doesn't deter you, there's no question: CZ 75b is the superior shooter.

Glocks are fine. They're every bit as durable and reliable as so many Glocksters claim. Their weight:capacity ratio is one of their standout features. But what Glocksters often neglect to mention is that many other reputable guns are plenty rugged and dependable as well. CZ's model 75 has been in active service in every nook and cranny of this planet for about 35 years. CZ has earned quite a reputation themselves.

Get whichever suits your needs. They're both workhorses. Obviously I like the CZ better...but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  15. oli700

oli700 New Member

really? Its not that heavy .....2 lbs ?

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also like the CZ 75 but I'd take the G19 over it. And since you initially wanted the G19 I suspect you'll be happier with it. It's hard to ignore the weight difference and the ease of modifying a Glock with all the parts available. They're so easy to work on too. No contest in my opinion.