Glock ND Injures 6

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Doc3402, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

READ MORE HERE

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

This story is a followup, and this is where the firearm was identified as a Glock 19.

Link

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

". . . . He told police his Glock 19 9mm firearm went off as he was reaching for money and a valet ticket in his right pants pocket, where he also had his unholstered gun."

Imbecile.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Absolutely. That's why I called it an ND. I don't believe in accidents in the first place, but this is so incredibly stupid it wouldn't qualify if I did.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thanks Doc.

The police ruled it accidental, but I have to agree it was negligent.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I know I'm going to catch flack on this one, but I don't care. It is my opinion that if you carry a Glock, or anything that depends on some sort of trigger mounted safety, you need to put it in a holster that covers the darn trigger. Anything else is stupid.

As far as the accidental ruling from the police I sure as heck hope they mean unintentional. Based on their training and experience I hope they recognize stupid when they see it.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah, because manual saafeties never get flicked off in a pocket when they aren't holstered. I'd say pocket carry in general should require a pocket holster. Sig 238, 938, a Colt Mustang, or other single actions, with a single manual safety could be just a prone to discharge in a pocket. if the saftey ends up disengaged, then that short trigger pull is real trouble.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Very good point. The problem isn't the gun, it's the unprotected trigger... well, that and stupid people.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course they ruled it accidental, he was a corrections officer. If he had been an ordinary citizen it would have been negligent discharge. In any case the lawyers will have a field day in court.

I did not know they had valet parking at donut shops.:D

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

any gun needs a holster that covers the trigger guard. folkst aht carry guns on that ridiculous "clip" device are just one foreign object away from a ND.

11. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Couldn't agree more ...... Quality reliable holster is needed for any type of carry, otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen

12. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

I say we come up with a new category for situations like this. SPD (Stupid Person Discharge). What kind of idiot carries a handgun unholstered in his pocket? You'd think a trained LEO would know better. Wow, just stupid as hell.

13. G30USMC

There is no such thing as "accidental" that was "negligent"

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Good point. Accidental would usually involve a mechanical failure. I have seen accidental bursts, when mechanical parts have failed (worn disconnector).

15. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

How big are his pants that he can carry a G19 in them? Does anyone really believe he had his firearm in his pants pocket??

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

There are two types of 'unintentional' discharges:
    Accidental - When the weapon is unintentionally discharged in a SAFE direction and there is little to no property damage and NO injury or death.
    Negligent - When the weapon is unintentionally discharged and resulting in serious property damage and/or ANY injury or death.
    Any hand gun which requires no other action than a 'short' trigger pull to fire MUST be carried in a holster with the trigger completely covered. All others SHOULD be carried the same way.

17. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I couldn't have said it any better.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Am I the only one who keeps reading the title of this thread as 'Glock, North Dakota' Injures 6; as if it's a newspaper headline?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I am reading it as the Glock (not the idiot) did the ND and injured 6. Funny.

20. G30USMC

Read it again ;)