Glock Model 22 40 Cal Question

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Sniper03, May 29, 2020.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Last week I ordered a Match 9 mm Conversion Barrel for my Glock Model 22 40 Cal Pistol from American Outpost. I received the new barrel today. It looks fantastic and well made.
    As I was discussing it with a friend today, he advised that I might have an issue since he thought the 9mm Extractor was a slightly different configuration from the 40 Cal.
    So wanted to see if anyone here had put a conversion barrel on their 40 and I believe the same 9mm conversion barrel will fit a Model 31? If so did they or anyone who has got a conversion barrel had issues with extraction using the 22 or 31 Extractor?

2. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

It is very common to run both barrels with the same extractor and issues are rare. If the gun is well worn you may want to replace the extractor spring IF you experience issues. Take it to the range and have it; should be fine.

Sniper03 likes this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Will the model 22 with the 9mm barrel funcion with the .40 magazines ?

4. Sniper03

Sheriff,

I read one article when I was doing some research. And a guy wrote he used his 40 Cal Magazines with 9mm Conversion and had no major issues. Which lead me to think he might have had an occasional issue? Although, he did not directly mention one. I do know that the Mag Lips are just a few thousands difference width wise in tolerance.
    But I would say with this very slight difference the 40 Mags would in all likelihood work.

But since I want to use my own gun for training purposes with the 9mm conversion on the Sheriff's Department.
    I went ahead and ordered 4ea. Model 17 9mm Magazines. Of course my assignment as a Reserve Deputy these days is only in the capacity of helping implement the new school resource officer program, procuring weapon related equipment and assisting with firearms related training. I had enough enforcement activity over my 27 years before retiring from the Metro PD to last me the rest of my life!;)

Here is a picture of my new 9mm Match Grade Conversion Barrel.
    Excellent machining and finish on it. And the Glock Model 17 9mm Magazines showed up today.
    That much closer to testing it out!:)
    Glock 9mm Barrel 2.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    oO_Rogue_Oo and sheriffjohn like this.
  5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Barrel really does look nice. One of my friends used a 9mm conversion barrel in his G23 with no problems with cycling. He did use 9mm mags when he had the conversion barrel in.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I put a 9mm on my gen 4 23 and it ran fine. The barrel is made for the 40 extractor. I keep it as a back up since I have a G19. Thought about 357 Sig but that means a whole new caliber. The 357 Sig is a necked down 40 so everything works. If I could get a carbine I would consider it. I dont know why it never got more popular.

Sniper03 likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

If everytyhing matches up - extractor for one thing, magazines another, the only other question I would have is as to the spring. I thought the .40 spring was heavier than the 9mm but I don't remember if that was the case. Is the 9mm "conversion" barrel the same as on the other 9mm Glocks of identical size to the Model 22 or a different animal? I have two Model 22's so converting one to use 9mm is really interesting. Thanks.

/

8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The conversion barrel is different from the factory barrel. Another way to convert is to use the G17 factory slide assembly and replace the ejector.

9. oO_Rogue_Oo

The 40 Glocks are under sprung; good 9mm ammo should cycle flawlessly.

Ejector placement on the 40 versus 9mm is slightly different; or has been in guns that I've worked on. I don't know if this is by design or if it was manufacturing tolerances but I have seen differences. Will still work (or has in my experiences) but where your brass lands will most likely shift some.

10. Sniper03

JTJ
    Your extractor comment was appreciated. I guess if the company was making a 9mm Conversion for the Model 22 it would make sense that they would cut the Barrel for the 40 Cal. Extractor.

Sheriff
    The Glock 22 40 cal. can accept a 9mm Conversion Barrel but a 9mm Slide can not accept a 40 Barrel. The reason is, on the normal production Glock 9mm the Front Hole in the 9mm Standard Slide is smaller than the Hole on the 40 Cal. Slide.
    The only difference in the 9mm Conversion Barrel is the thickness of the Barrel to fit the larger Slide Hole on the 40 Cal. Slide. And of course a smaller bore for the 9mm round. That is also why JTJ's information on the Ejector was much appreciated. Because one of our Armorers had mentioned a slight difference between the 40 Extractor and the 9mm Extractor. As far as the spring, I do not know but the Company never mentioned any difficulty using the 40 Cal. Spring. I will shoot it this coming week and let you know!
    As mentioned earlier I did go ahead and buy 4 Model 17 Magazines for it. Even though the one guy said he uses his Model 22 40 Cal. mags? I may give that a test as well while I am shooting it.
    Here is something I found later after this post at 11:05am: Gen 3 recoil springs are the same weight across 9mm, .40, and .357 - all being 17lbs. Not sure if the gen 4s are also all the same.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    sheriffjohn likes this.
  11. sheriffjohn

Really appreciate the information. I did the Glock Police Armorer class when we first went to Glocks but that was a long time ago. Friends had a couple of different .22 LR conversions but those to different centerfire calibers have arrived after my retirement 16 years ago.

12. Sniper03

Sheriff and others!

This is the report on the Tests done today regarding the new 9mm Conversion Barrel for my Glock Model 22 40 Cal. Pistol.
    1. Removed my Standard 40 Cal. Barrel from the Pistol.
    2. Disassembled the Model 22. Thoroughly cleaned and lubricated, it even though it was clean to assure a fair Tests.
    3. Lubricated the new 9mm Conversion Barrel and ran a clean patch down the bore.
    4. Checked the new Barrel's fit in the Slide.
    5. Assembled the Pistol and the new 9mm Conversion Barrel
    6. Loaded the new 9mm Model 17 Magazines with 10ea. 115gr. HP ammunition
    7. Fired all 10 rounds in around 10 seconds
    8. All 10 rounds with No issues at all.
    9. Loaded a Glock 22 40cal. Magazine with the same lot of 10ea. 115gr. 9mm HP ammunition.
    Although the tips of the Bullet seemed to stick up higher since the Magazine Lips on the 40 cal. Magazine was significantly more open (wider) than the Model 17 Magazines. !
    10. But all 10 of the 9mm rounds also fired in 10 seconds functioned in the 40 cal. Magazine without fail.
    I would not at all recommend these Mags be used with 9mm rounds for defense.
    The other consideration I would also have, is with the 40 cal. Magazines. Would them being fully loaded over a period of time effect the Lips since all the tension on the 9mm rounds is concentrated right on the edge of the Magazine Lips holding them?
    I do not recommend using a 40 cal. Magazine for the 9mm Conversion. Advice! Only use the Model 17 Mags in the Model 22 Pistol.
    Picture #1 Comparison of Angle of the 9mm round in the 40 cal. magazine on the Top and the angle of the 9mm in the 9mm Magazine on the Bottom.
    *even though in the Test the gun functioned OK! But Notice the 40 cal. Magazine just barely holds the round in the Magazine!:eek:
    Picture #2 40 cal. in a 40 cal. Magazine
    And Picture #3 the Drop Test Picture of the 9mm ammunition in a 40 cal. Magazine.
    The Test was conducted twice from 3 ft. onto the Butt Plate of the Magazine. A Round flipped out and the others jammed in the Magazine on each test. Including jarring the 40 cal. Magazine fairly strongly resulted in the same results. Causing the Magazine to be totally out of commission.
    glock  40 and 9mm - Copy.JPG glock 40 in 40 Mag.JPG glock drop test.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  13. oO_Rogue_Oo

I think the biggest problem you would have with 9mm in 40 magazines would be from being a spare magazine where you might have a round come lose out of the magazine from being handled. In the gun it would be secure. Personally I wouldn't use the 40 magazine for anything but range work. For SD I would want a 9mm magazine; if for nothing else than to make me FEEL more secure.

Sniper03 likes this.
  14. Sniper03

Rouge
    I added the pictures to better explain and show the issue of using 40 Cal. Magazines loaded with the 9mm rounds!:eek:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.