Glock Model 20 or Model 20 SF?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by SafariSam, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

I had a Glock model 20 but sold it and now i'm planning on buying another one because it was actually one of my favorite handguns to carry in my car. checking out Glock's website i saw the model 20 SF which i think stand for ''short frame''. i've heard a lot of people complain that the Glock's grip was too big but it never really bothered me but at the same time i thought it might be nice if they had one that was a bit smaller. what do you think of the standard model 20 compared to the SF model 20s? i'm thinking i might give the SF model 20 a try this time.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's gonna have more felt recoil. Be easier to conceal. I want one.

3. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

one of the things about the standard model 20 that i liked was that even when firing full powered or close to full powered 10mm loads the recoil didn't seem that bad at all. i hope their wouldn't be that much of a difference in felt recoil with the SF models. i'm just guessing that the recoil would be more but still wouldn't be much.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm sure its still manageable.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I can't tell the diff, I had an OD green 20 which I NEVER should have let go...now I've got a Gen3-20SF...
    the difference you feel is that the grip is thinner from front to back...and feels pretty nice :)
    I did add a slipcover of bicycle innertube for better grip for my long monkey-fingers...

Recoil feels about the same...not too bad for such a potent round!!
    Altho I didn't have Buffalo Bore 220-grain before, that stuff is a little Stiff, no matter what you fire it out of!!
    But OH what it does to a wild hog!!

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe SF stands for Slim Frame, not Short Frame

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

10mm novice you are grasshopper.

Short frame.

8. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Someday I'll own a 10mm...

Anyways, according to the GLOCK site, "The SF model reduces the circumference of the receiver at the rear, or "backstrap," offering increased comfort and control—especially to shooters with smaller hands." This doesn't mention shortening the frame, but seems to refer to "slimming" it down.

Am I understanding incorrectly?

Or is it a GLOCKish acronym, standing for what is, not necessarily what seems commen sense?

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Really. Why would you want a Short Frame? The barrel/slide is the same. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Or is it "short" in the dimension from grip to trigger rather than short from the base to the slide?

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

It is SHORT frame. As in the distance from the front of the grip (where your fingers go) to the rear of the grip (where the heel of your hand goes) remember that hole at the rear of the glock frame behind the magwell? You know, the one that they make an aftermarket plug for to keep dust and dirt out of it? Yeah that, they shortened that. In effect, it shortens the reach to the trigger. Supposedly helpful to shooters with smaller hands as they attempt to shoot a caliber with a longer than most overall length. Recoil from a physics standpoint is unaffected. However, if you can grip one model more comfortably than the other, PERCEIVED recoil can feel different. It does nothing to enhance or detract from concealibility. The height of the frame does not change. The frame height is what pokes out of your shirt if its too long. The frame width also does not change.

If you go to glocks website, look at the dimensions diagrams and the differences between regular and sf models and you will see exactly where the change was made.

11. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Hmm. It seems so clear now. SHORTer length to the trigger. I guess it would make more sense for SLIM frame to be a skinnier width (1.28"). Apparently they didn't cover Geometry with my bachelor's degree...

12. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Thats right, the 1.28" width is the same for the 20, 20sf, 29 and 29sf models.

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

My glock dealer told me it is exactly 2mm difference from the upper backside to frontside < in the trigger guard> of the grip and that is all.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

If you like Bowhunting...you'll LOVE 10mm!!!
    You can be a stalky bastich without worrying about whacking your bow on a limb!!!

It'll take whitetail deer & hog out to 100 yards...if you can shoot that good.
    Fairly flat shooting, so with a little practice at the range you know your holdover at given ranges!

Perfect for Eglin AFB or the Blackwater river in NW-FL...brushy areas that make even a .30-30 carbine seem long...

15. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

i read that the difference is 2.5mm which don't seem like it would make much difference at all. but when i buy my new Glock 20 i will stil get the SF version.

16. mdauben

mdauben New Member

The only way to decide is to hold both and see which feels better in YOUR hand.

Of course I've got a G21 and I find the grip on that comfortable, so what do I know? ;)

17. 1911user

1911user New Member

18. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

My vote is for the G20SF as well..and there is no diff in the recoil between the G20 and the G20sf. Same gun, just easier to reach the trigger. When ever there is an SF model, that is what I get and I have regular sized hands. The SF is easier for the wife to shoot as well.