Glock misfire-short strike

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by lbrown, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lbrown

lbrown New Member

I bought a used glock 21 yesterday. I didn't clean it before heading to the range. Didn't think I had to.

I went out to shoot with 2 boxes fracchi 230 grain. I had a misfire on my first mag.
    Bullet had a strike mark but didn't fire.
    I reloaded my mag and tried again. Same thing but this time it was on the last round.
    Long story short, the problem continued for every subsequent magazine and on the last round.

Any idea what the problem is?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Probably need to clean the striker channel and sleeve.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

used or new, i always do a thorough cleaning and oiling before shooting a gun i just bought. finding the bore obstructed is much better when you are checking it out or cleaning it, vs. when you fire a round through it.

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

GLOCK - PERFECTION.......lol, just kidding... Was probably sitting around packed full of crud for a lomg time. Thake it to your LGS, let them do an ultrasonic cleaning. Best $20 you could spend on that gun. Gets all the crud out from every nook and cranny. When you get it back it will be bone dry. So make sure you get it oiled up good.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Clean it as stated. Could also be the crap ammo.

6. mahall

mahall New Member

Reasons why I just will not buy "Used" from strangers(gun stores) just not worth saving a few bucks for a gun that you have know idea about! Generally you save 50-100 bucks on used vs new. To me it's just not worth it. I do realize new guns can and do fail! But I trust a reliable gun manufacture far more than a Stranger that may or may not know how to properly care for a Firearm.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

The vast majority of all gun problems can be solved by a proper cleaning and lubing. Used guns are not the exception.

8. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Take it to a certified Glock armorer or ship it to me. I'm certified and will use an ultrasonic on it and return it to you cleaner than new from the factory with properly lubed points. $50 and that includes shipping it back to you and replacing any parts that need to be rplaced.

9. mahall

mahall New Member

Lol the 50 that was probably saved by buying used! Just had to point that out!!

10. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You're probably right, but you do get what you pay for.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Give the firing pin assembly a power wash with Gunscrubber, then dry up with compressed air or a hair dryer. Consider replacing the firing pin spring. Keep the firing pin dry when you lubricate the gun.

12. lbrown

lbrown New Member

Nah. I paid 400. That's a good deal even with a $50 detailed cleaning!

I cleaned out the trigger mechanism and will head back to the range soon.

I had never owned a glock before but had read all of the positives so I felt real comfort buying used. I bought the mistique. I figured they were impervious to misfires but I was wrong.

I have since read some similar problems from other owners. Seems that cleaning is a likely cause.

I'm optimistic that it'll be okay. If It happens again, I'll probably take it to certified dealer near me and get detail clean.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I noticed you wrote trigger mechanism. It was the firing pin assembly we were talking about.

You bought the right pistol. The basics in it are so solid, it is hard to foul up. Many owners think it's ok to never clean it, or engage in sadistic "torture tests" (that's the kind of seller to avoid). You and your G21 will be totally fine and happy with each other. It's like having a dog.

BTW replacement parts are inexpensive and easy to install. As a footnote, Fiocchi seems to use harder primers, but that won't be a problem once your pistol is fixed up.

14. Axxe55

a lot of people have bought into the Glock hype and myths. but it is just as able to fail as any other pistol. the Glock is good and reliable pistol, but still needs cleaning and upkeep just like any other pistol.

some food for thought on firearms in general, just because some people can run thousands of rounds through their guns, doesn't mean a person should. i believe in proper cleaning and maintenance for all my firearms. i just have way too much money invested in letting them go to ruin from negligence. plus a firearm that is kept well maintained and that has been taken care of brings much more if you ever plan on selling it.

here's a thread you might findinteresting to check out. this young man learned a valuable lesson about Glocks specifically and guns in general!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/failed-glock-torture-test-98411/

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A cleaning isn't just a cleaning. It's an opportunity to do a thorough inspection of a newly acquired firearm. New or used, it doesn't really matter.
    IMHO, the biggest problem with a used Glock is likely to be neglect. People hear all the "toss in mud, shake it off and shoot for days" stories, so they don't think proper upkeep is really needed, because, "it's a Glock." Any used pistol deserves a good detail strip and thorough cleaning, just because, IMHO, the vast majority of gun owners aren't especially diligent about keeping stuff clean.

As for Ultrasonic cleaning, I've had one of these for several years now, money well spent: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Sounds like the last owner over oiled it and its got some build up around the firing pin. I'll echo the previous posters and say take it to a good Glock Armorer and get him to break it down and clean it and inspect it for you.

I get mine serviced once a year. But then again I carry every day in all weather conditions and mostly use our issued crappy range practice ammo when I shoot it.

The one thing that will cause a Glock to have problems is over oiling it. They're not made to run dry either, but too much oil really messes with them like nothing else. (Other than cast lead ammo of course. Avoid that like the plague too.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  17. lbrown

lbrown New Member

I mistyped. I cleaned out the firing pin chamber. I took the back off of the slide and took out the pin and swabbed it with some solvent, let it sit for a few minites and then swabbed until it came clean. After 10 qtips, Eventually it did. I dried it and did not oil it.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Actually, around here you'll save about $100-$200 if you buy used. Most of the time all the gun needs is a good cleaning and it's good to go. The most I have ever had to do to get a used gun running right is order a $20 (including shipping) part for an older $180 Mossberg.

Though, I also usually check the action and bore of a gun before I buy it so I know what I'm getting into.

19. Axxe55

i agree. i have actually had way more positive experiances with the used firearms i have bought than negative by far margin. plus have probably save a ton of money buying used vs. new. plus many guns that i would want to own, are not even made anymore, so used is the only option to begin with.

i would think the odds of finding a NIB, unfired Savage Model 99 to be slim to none, with none being more likely!

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Ever try to find a brand new milsurp? :D :p

Now that I think of it, I only own one gun that was truly new. Even then, I only paid $4 (plus shipping and transfer fee) for it on a penny auction site. My Mossberg 500 Persuader. :D

I don't count my 1911 since it was technically pre owned even know it was never actually fired.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013