Glock Magazine: Gap between baseplate and bottom of grip

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by EnderWiggin, Sep 20, 2010.

1. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

So I just bought a Glock 26 and have run into a small issue. There seems to be a gap between the baseplate of the magazine and the bottom of the grip. The magazine can be pushed up so that it is flush with no gap but as soon as you let go it goes back down.

This happens with an empty and full magazine, as well as with an old (non-ambidextrous) and new (ambidextrous) magazines.

I have made a video showing what I am talking about

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3L9VL2PYCQ]YouTube - Glock 26 Magazine Gap[/ame]

What do you guys/gals think? Is there anything I can do about this? Should I call Glock? Are your Glocks like this as well?

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Does the weapon function fine? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't have any pistols with me to check, but I'm pretty sure most are this way.

-Fred

3. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Yes it functions just fine. It just bothers me that the gap pinches me and it seems that other peoples Glocks (from images online) don't have such a big gap.

4. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I wouldn't worry about it at all. My G23 has the same gap, especially when the magazine is full. If it starts failing to feed, then I would be worried.

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

Both of mine (G30 & G27) have it. And I sometimes come back from the range with blood blisters on my pinky. It isn't as noticeable on the larger-framed models because most people can get their entire hand on the grip, rather than having a pinky on the magazine.

6. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Alright well I had my first issue today. As you can see in the picture, my G26 had a FTF (Failure to feed). This was using Winchester White box ammo and the factory mags that came with my G26 (they are the ambi models and the follower has a number 6 on it).

[​IMG]

I have shot hundreds of WWB ammo through my XDm and never had an issue. Could this FTF be due to the gap I originally mentioned in this thread? I plan on using this as my EDC and this FTF so early on is kidn of discouraging me. Any info/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the round stovepiped. I could very well be wrong but I wouldn't think the mag not seating wall the way up would cause a stovepipe. That usually have to do with the lips on the mag being too tight(at least in my limited experience).

-Fred

8. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Nope that is not a stovepipe. The casing of the round that was fired ejected. This was a brand new round that was being chambered. The front tip of the round was shoved upwards.

9. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Actually, maybe my understanding of what is considered an FTF and what is considered a stovepipe is incorrect. Can someone please clarify what is considered what?

Regardless of what it's called, what would cause the front of the round to be shoved upwards like that?

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

My mistake. I was thinking that was a stovepipe. I had my terminology mixed up.

But from my experience, that type of FTF is caused by tight mag lips.

-Fred

11. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Alright so I just went to my gun shop and looked at another G26 and it has the same sized gap as mine. So maybe it is normal (that sucks). As for the FTF, I will just shoot a bunch more rounds and see if it happens again. If it doesn't then I will chalk it up to break-in/fluke.

I will say one thing though... buying a Glock has made me appreciate my XDm A LOT more. But that is for a different forum/thread :)

12. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Nope. The gun is stock. It's brand new and only seen approximately 400 rounds. This happened with the stock magazine not the magazine with the extender (you can see the magazine with the extender in the picture on the table).

13. EnderWiggin

EnderWiggin New Member

Who is KWGary and why do you say that?

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

G37 is a Glock fan. KWGaryM hates Glocks and loves XDs.

I think we've beat this one to death...

15. ET1

ET1 New Member

I think gun owners can talk themselves into liking or disliking certain guns. The obession over the gap between the mag plate and the grip of the g26 is telling. I own a 27 and didn't notice this gap. I did end up adding +1 mag extensions, so it is a moot point with me. I have not experienced an ftf with either Glock I own. The ftf pictured is a duplicate of what happens when my wife shoots my 27 with the 9mm conversion barrel. She is recoil sensitive and jambs all of my guns. I ended up buying a .22lr Buck Mark Camper for her. She shoots it great, she just can't rack the slide if it misfires because she doesn't have the hand strength...Oh well.:(

16. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

I have fired and owned only Glocks for the most part. That looks like limp-wristing. I have never had a FTF in any of my weapons, however I have many people who have fired my weapons and had a FTF. It is common with the sub-compacts and someone new to shooting them. Tighten your grip imo.

17. Ralphhster

Ralphhster New Member

The Gen 4s have identical problems---I solved it by polishing the breech face and cleaning up the extractor---If that doesnt fix it check out mag. timing !
    A loose fitting mag. is no threat to the weapon functioning, I have seen very few Glocks that have a tight fitting mag. ...........