Glock leg syndrome

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by mountainskytop, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I Am finally considering a DA only striker fired pistol for a CCW and would appreciate some input about the "Glock Leg Syndrome" where the pistol owner shoots him/herself while reholstering their weapon.Is this truly a serious mechanical issue or just plain carelessness?

2. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Operator error. Keep your finger off the trigger.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Plain carelessness. My husband carries a Glock with OIC and I have no worries.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

It is pure carelessness upon the owner, PERIOD!!! I've been carrying my GLOCK 35 for 10 months and haven't had any problems. The ONLY way to shoot yourself is if you PULL THE TRIGGER, so that means OWNER FAILURE!!! Do not blame the firearms operation if it is doing what it was meant to do when the TRIGGER is pulled. GLOCKS are an excellent firearm. There are alot of great firearms out there and alot of IDIOTS out there that BLAME GLOCK for this term. Do not let this scare you from a decision on a great firearm. Like I said earlier there are alot of great firearms out there. If you KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER you will not shoot yourself. This is my opinion about the GLOCKS.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I read this and saw its a great BLOCK of you BLOCK right with you BLOCK. Lmao. Sorry fathead. Just playing. I agree, it's all in the owner. No such thing as an accidental.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Purely operator error. Familiarize yourself with how the Glock functions and you will have no problems. Keep the boogerhook off the bangswitch and they are one of the safest guns out there. They only fire when you pull the trigger.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

pure carelessness. just to qualify this, i detest glocks and everything about gaston glock and his entire company. the man is a slimeball.

most of the cases involving glock leg are from people trying to reholster a gloc into a worn or defective holster. mostly this occurs with the donut eating segment of police officers. their fat bellys bend the edges of holsters enough to set the gun off when it snags the trigger. it lso occurs with the batman section of officers. these are the types that have every gadget known to man overloading their belts.

glock leg occurs with 1911's 92f sig p22x revolvers xdm xd sw m&p on and on.

pay attention to safety and how worn your gear is and using a proper holster for your build and clothing choices and it wont happen to you

8. Thr33FiftyS3v3n

Thr33FiftyS3v3n New Member

I carry a Glock 26 day in and day out iwb with Bo problems ever. Its jus like carrying any other firearm imo

9. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

There is one person on here that blames the gun. He probably will comment on this thread. It's just funny when people blame the firearm for what it is supposed to do.;). BLOCK or a ton of bricks in your hand, I'll use either one.;)

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

This guy has it...along with a complete lack of sense in bringing a loaded gun into a classroom for a demonstration.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8[/ame]

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Excellent point. People have been shooting themselves because of negligence for as long as there have been firearms. It is not in any way a Glock thing. it is a Stupid thing.

12. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

GLOCK leg syndrome is another term for, "I couldn't keep my darn fingers outta the trigger gaurd". It's simply an operator error thing. As long as you're safe with it, you'll be fine.

13. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Don't do it, their horrible and out to put holes in your pants and im not talking cool butt flaps or anything. Dangerous firearms with a mind of their own!

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

....Yup, keep your booger hook out of the trigger guard and all should be just fine. I've heard all kinds of Glock leg stories but never known one to happen to anyone I known. I'm not a real fan of striker fired pistols but it's more of a I just like a DA/SA with external hammer more. I've had a few and just didn't care for them all that much so they never stick around long. And I think most of them are just flat ugly. But they are fine pistols, I don't see them as any less safe. There's a reason there are so many different kinds of pistols out there. There's no one size fits all. And I"m real glad there isn't

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Thus kydex instead of cheap leather.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

People have been rearranging their leg/buttocks for years before the Glock was even a twinkle in Gaston's eye. For years the 1911 was feared as the "inherently unsafe" pistol design. I even know a Texas Ranger who shot himself in the azz with his 1911. I know several people who have racing stripes down their leg from D/A revolvers.

Stupid or momentary lapse of reason, call it what you may. Firearms are potentially dangerous tools (like nail guns, circular saws and cars). All it takes is a careless moment and bad things can happen. Equipment is another issue. Using improper accessories can greatly enhance the potential for tragedy. Holsters MUST be rigid at the reigger guard. Many a holster has activated the bang switch upon reholstering. Blackhawk Serpa holsters are associated with many such incidents involving drawing. I would never take a free Serpa. I would pass it along to someone I do not like.

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm glad I don't know you lol.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Also somewhere was video where a guy shot his hip sitting in his car was useing a left hand cheap owb no form holster inside a belt on the right and the holster had a folded in section that fired the glock when he shoved in. BANG. hard to fix stupid. That could happen with ANY long da type trigger or any stricker only trigger and some revolvers I guess.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  19. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Always gotta be someone dissing on the serpa holster.
    Only dumb@$$es shoot themselves/others "accidentally" period. Of the thousand's of serpa holsters sold and used on a daily basis a few so called "experts" shoot themselves because of poor training and people jump to defend their poor gun handling as an equipment failure. The equipment failure was the failure between the ears not the holster. Taking responsibility means in every area if life. You don't get to cherry pick when the lack of situational awareness causes an accident to suddenly blame equipment which isn't faulty. Blame the @$$hole holding the weapon.

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With a holster AND firearm in perfect condition, it is possible to shoot self in the adze (if'n you are a dumbadze). Here's how:

Hold firearm with your finger ON the trigger. INSIDE the trigger guard- the thing that was put on a gun to shield the trigger.

With the finger ON the trigger, attempt to return gun to holster. As you slide it in, the holster, which covers the trigger to protect it, will push the finger back onto the trigger, pulling the trigger.

Followed by a loud noise, smell of gunsmoke, yelling and screaming about that %$^&*( pistol.

The pistol that did EXACTLY what it was designed to do- fire when X pounds of pressure is applied to the front of the trigger.

Generally this is caused by a headspace problem- the space between the earplugs.