Glock. Its a love/hate thing... Why?!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DickTheNickhead, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

I'm new to any firearm forum and I've just been reading a bunch lately...

It seems people either love glock, or absolutely hate it...

I can understand why someone would love glock. I get it.

But I don't understand why people hate it...
    I'm not a glock fan boy, I'm just curious as to why...

I hear a lot of talk about it being "Tupperware", but there are plenty of polymer guns out there..

And I guess you can hate it because there are less safeties...

....the only legitimate reason I see for hating glock is that they are ugly as HELL!

What's YOUR reason?

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Although I am firmly in the 1911 camp, I don't hate Glocks. I think they are an extremely reliable handgun, and the lack of a safety (other than the trigger safety) bothers me not at all. After all, most revolvers don't have safetys.

But I don't want one. Years ago I bought a Model 23 to see what all the hype on Glocks were about, shot it a few months, then sold it. Yes, to me it was ugly and had the "feel" of a brick, but the deal breaker for me was the long, heavy "squirt gun" trigger. I've been spoiled by the 1911.

It used to be said that the Glock was the gun for people who didn't like guns. Some of y'all here will understand this comment; some won't.

Nuthin' wrong with the Glock; it's just not for me.

3. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I think it is more about fun, kind of like chevy vs. ford. :) Dont take it to serious, everyone likes what they like and sometimes folks have fun sticking up for what they like. I think glock gets a hit because they are such a common name when you think polymer gun. Yes there are many others out there and no glock was not the first polymer gun. But they have a big marketing campaign and they give discounts to law enforcment.

With the discounts to law enforcment means many agencies buy them because they are cheaper. This in turn means that they are known and seen by many people. Cops, civvilians talking to cops, cops on t.v. and the news. So they have a decent foot holdin the minds of gun owners and those who do not even know anything about guns. The media is always talking about glocks.

So I think that because of all the publicity it becomes an easy target. Also it seems because of the publicity many people who do not know much about guns buy a glock. So then you have the people who are big into guns biewing thos ewho have a glock as somone who may be no as informed as a 1911 or hi-power owner.

This then creates a compettion. On the other hand some folkes just like plastic while some like steel and wood.

4. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I do not hate Glock. As a Matter of fact, the new Gen 4 supposedly fixes what was my main issue with the brand and that was the muzzle jump. I do agree that they are rather unappealing though.

I have shot several different S& W handguns, and they feel significantly better in my hand than a Glock does.

5. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Glocks are ugly, uncomfortable, Austrian, expensive for what they are, they flip like crazy, they're ugly and I hate them for all of those reasons. But mainly because they have such a huge fans base and I don't understand F**king WHY!

Just my solicited humble opinion. :p

SO SAYETH THE CATTLEDOG! ALL HAIL THE LIZARD KING!!!

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I agree much with Txpossum. But I'll go on to add...

The lack of anything more than that dingus on the trigger does bother me. Yes, DA revolvers don't have an external safety, but they also have a much, MUCH, heavier, and usually longer, trigger pull. Anywhere from 10-20 pounds depending on year, make, model, and country of origin. The GLOCK has what? A standard 5-7 pound pull, or thereabouts (not counting new york triggers or aftermarket trigger jobs)? And the dingus does nothing as far as I'm concerned. If the trigger hangs on anything, what is the likelihood that it will hang up anywhere other than on the face?

My biggest problem with GLOCK, in itself, is that even for all those who say "it's ergonomically designed", sure, the designers had ergos in mind when they designed it, as a checklist of everything NOT to do with it.

The reason I talk **** about them? To piss off the fanboys. There is a marked difference between fanboys of GLOCKs, and fanboys of 1911's, even among the most rabid of either camp. GLOCK fanboys (obviously not speaking to or of all of them), tend to sometimes insult a person's intelligence, masculinity, family, and sexual preferences when they find someone who doesn't like GLOCK. 1911 fanboys can, have, and will do the same, but it's not quite as prevalent. Those that do, it seems, usually tend to be Kimber nuts ;) and talk smack about even 1911 fans who don't like Kimber ;)

Plus, if it's been "Perfection" from day one, why are we on the 4th generation? The basic premise for the true 1911 has survived over 100 years with no major design changes.

That said, I will one day own a GLOCK 17. It does work, is reliable, simple to operate and maintain, shoots the cheap 9MM, and while you can get a 9MM in nearly any platform, they don't all have 33 round mags available. I'd give my left nut for a select fire GLOCK 18 though.

It's also fun to pick on the fanboys by pointing out that they're misspelling GLOCK when they don't use all caps... ;) It's a patented brand, the correct spelling is always with all caps.

Oh my... I miss the days when I was allowed into the GLOCK forum. I trolled my ass off in there.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

^^^^

I still pick on the glock heads from time to time. It is usually by accident though. I checked the thread location this time :D

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Where's all the Glock . . . pardon me, GLOCK love here? Common' Glockies, we're picking on your babies . . . ugly babies, to be sure, but hey, someone bought those cabbage patch dolls.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't have to check... I put in a special request and asked "pretty please" to be barred from the GLOCK forum permanently!

10. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

LOL thats cool. I didnt know we could do that.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Much of the preference of firearms is how they feel to the individual. For myself, I have never picked up a Glock that felt good in my hand. There's just something that doesn't feel right about them.

2nd reason... they are just butt ugly. yech... :(

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I can't imagine that the mods or admin would want their inboxes flooded with such requests, but it had gotten to the point where I was getting in trouble here on the forum for it.

I'd be browsing through "today's posts", and see something along the lines of, "Lets stroke each other's egos and other parts!!" (at least, that's how it seems to me), in the GLOCK forum. I never could help myself, I had to drop in and piss on the circle stroke every chance I got.

Got a vacation for it once. Was threatened with a few more. And so I just asked politely if there was any way it could be done. I got a reply back, "consider it done!", and it was so.

I think what I actually asked was if there was someway to add an entire section to my ignore list, the way you would add a troll user to your personal ignore list. Now that I think about it, that's exactly how it happened. I PM'd a mod and asked about that, and got a reply back that it was taken care of for me.

13. rickster

rickster New Member

I personally don't hate GLOCK's but to me they are like belly buttons, everyone's got one. Lol. I've shot several models and calibers and they just don't feel right to me. For the same price you can find, in my opinion, better handguns.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There is something called self-discipline. ;)

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I thinks Glocks are fine. If that's what blows your skirt up, more power to you. To be fair, I recently had the opportunity to handle a Gen 4 model 23. I thought it was a large step forward for the breed.
    My primary objection isn't the guns themselves. It's all the fanboys running around telling everyone who will hold still long enough, how wonderful they are. It's all the threads on forums that start: "Why all the Glock Hate?" or "Glocks are great, lets all count the ways together," or "Can I marry My Glock?" Gaston's brainchild was a pretty innovative pistol in the 1980s. In 2013, guns like the S&W M&P and the SA XD & XDm (among others) are good enough that Glock has to work a bit harder earn their keep. Also, IMHO, without the LEO or Military discount, Glocks are overpriced.
    Then there's the issue of contrarians like me. The more people tell me how special and lovely some product is and how all the cool kids have them, the more I push back against conventional wisdom. You tell me how fabulous Glock is and how cops & criminals alike love them, the more that XD or M&P looks better. In much the same manner, because you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting some guy with a Harley, I ride a Triumph. Hell, I'll buy a SA or a CZ just to spite you, and save some money doing it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Huh? What the hell is that? For some reason, when I get to that last word, the hyphenated one, it blurs and I can't read it!! (the one I highlighted in white!!!!)

17. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Probably because there are much better guns out there than their junk. But that's just my opinion.

But then I am not a fan of ANY striker fired pistol.
    Jim

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Glocks have their place.
    I don't own one now, but I have in the past.

My opinion of them is that for what they are, they're okay.
    I did not like the trigger pull (no matter what spring I put on).
    I always had trouble with the trigger guard if I "grabbed and go".
    There doesn't require too much thinking on the operator's part to get it to function (does that make it a non-thinking person's handgun?).
    A Glock is a Glock is a Glock and there are not too many things I can do to it to personalize it as my handgun.

19. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I do not particularly hate Glocks.Like Dan said there is a place for them.However that place is not in my hands.They are not comfortable for me the grip angle takes me out of my natural POA.There are way many other pistols out there that fit me way better than a Glock (and yes I have tried several with the same affect).
    They are reliable but so are the pistols that I have chosen to add to my collection.Except the ones I've added to my collection fit me like a glove like an extension of my own arm.That is the basis by which I pick and choose my pistols.I do ask for opinion but the deciding two factors for me are reliability and how it feels in hand when I bring it up to target.

20. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I carry a G35 and I have no problem with it. I own several different firearms and have no problem with them. Everybody has their firearm that they like and dislike. You have to decide on your own on what firearm you will like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.