Glock goes off in holster

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by JTJ, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just received an email detailing a Glock that went off in its holster. The holster was a Galco and the leather at the back of the holster kinked in and caught the trigger. It went off as the wearer was exiting his car nicking his thigh and doing some damage to his clothes and the car.

Attached Files:

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That's why I like the double safeties on my xd40.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

that is exactly why i dont like the glock design a trigger safety is NOT a safety. he is one lucky guy.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn!! In Glock's defense that holster has clearly seen some love, but I have to agree with the above.

If you don't have a manual safety, especially on a striker fired pistol, you are just ASKING for something bad to happen.

Manual Safety for the Win please Alex.

JD

5. JTJ

Now I am really glad I traded my G19 for the Ruger SR9c. The Ruger has a thumb safety. I still have my G36 but I was looking at going to a compact 1911. This might push me a little harder.

6. SilenceDogood

SilenceDogood New Member

This to me is more an indictment of this man's poor care of his holster than the Glock. If your holster wears out you need to replace it. End of story.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

All the stitching is still in place, the only part that is showing "wear" is from the presumably oiled slide release resting on the top of the leather.

The holster looks loved and broken in, not broken down and ready for the trash heap. :eek:

8. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I like my blachawk serpa holster. No means for that to happen.

9. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

That would NEVER happen with a Crossbreed super tuck and a 1911 cocked and locked !!:D

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder if he may have jostled it while removing the seatbelt?

How much do you think the grip safety on the XD line mitigates this risk?

I mean, not only would duder need to have that worn holster to pull the trigger, he would also need a serious muffin-top or something to engage the grip safety, i would think.

Note* In fairness, i do not carry on my person; i think my XD has seen a holster maybe a half dozen times, usually just to protect it on the rear floorboard of my car (MS carry).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Kydex holsters are better for Glocks as they stay rigid longer. The Serpa has a very dangerous flaw in that MANY ND's have resulted from a fast, stressed draw causing the inward pressure of the trigger finger to transition from the holster's release to the trigger.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would have to say the chances of this happening with the Glock were rare. With a grip safety, or a frame mounted manual safety as JMB intended, the chances of it happening would Lotto-esque just because you need dynamic pressure in more than one direction.

You would have to have the leather in the trigger guard, so that would be a force going on the "X" axis in, and then catch it on the center console or arm rest of the rig while adjusting your seat and have it hit the grip safety in such a way in the "Y" axis, down, to induce both the grip safety to presure release and the holster to cause the trigger to be engaged and fire the weapon.

I am sure it can be done, and probably has been done, we just haven't seen it yet.

This was a rare case, no question, but once again, with a frame mounted manual safety and a positive on/off.... :rolleyes:

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Am I just seeing it wrong or shouldn't that pic of the Glock in the holster be reversed? :eek:

The pic shows a man sitting in the passenger's seat and a hole in the right side of his pants and the seat. The pic of the holster looks to be a left hand model. That's not to say that the Glock in the pic wouldn't go off due to that holster, just that to me the pics don't work out together.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe you will find if you look that most holster companies put their name, model & serial numbers on the body side of the holsters, with their company logo on the outside, unless they are fancy show rigs or something.

JD

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I think it's worth noting that it appears the gun fired when the trigger was pulled.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

All guns should if the weapon is "hot", but not all guns will do so if they have manual, active safeties.

The Glock in question has a passive safety.

There is a HUGE difference kids....HUGE!

JD

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Guys
    I think you are correct in your thoughts. A Rat in the Wood Pile after looking closely at the picture of the holster. Dillinger you are correct this company always puts the labeling on the body side of their holsters as far as I know. My own thoughts are of a couple. #1. This picture was staged to cover up the fact the trigger finger entered the trigger guard area and Wallah! The Pistol went BANG!
    Or could it be it is an inside the pants holster being worn incorrectly with the belt on the outside of the holster? Even then, it is on the opposite side to have the seat belt buckle depress the leather as shown?????? In this case the buckle would have been on the opposite side unless I am confused! Something just isn't right! Could it be a face saving issue? That is my thought!

18. JTJ

Here are a couple more pictures. It may be the guy is left handed and carrying cross draw. I am right handed and carry cross draw most of the time. I find I can not draw my pistol very well in the car when it is on the strong side. That is a left hand holster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  19. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

thats is why I love the 1911 I can decock the thing before I holster it, same with double action revolvers.

20. Chapman87

Chapman87 New Member

Would not have happened with the right holster.

Just more food for the glock haters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.