Glock Generations help

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by 12fretter, Oct 24, 2013.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I am toying with trading my current carry pistol to a Glock and had questions for you experts.

I think I want to go with a 23. I don't want subcompact as I know I will not be accurate with one. The question I have is, if I'm trading someone, what is the best generation to look for? And what are the differences? I have never owned a Glock, I have only fired 1, and I think it was a 21 but don't know the Gen.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you want a rail you want to Gen 3 or 4.
    Aside from that the differences in generations are negligible.

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The gen 4 has a better texture on it and interchangeable backstraps and beavertail. It lacks aftermarket support for a few things if you ever want to modify it though.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Why do I always forget about that?
    The charge in the trigger bar is the only thing that sticks in my head for some reason.

5. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

OK, so there is no major difference in recoil springs or trigger tactile function or any of that? That's good to know. Thanks.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Gen 1 and 2 do not have the finger grooves , gen 3 and 4 do . Gen 4 had interchangable back straps , the Gen 3 and older does not
    Bottom pic is a gen 4 .
    Also the Gen 4s come factory with 3 mags instead of 2 like the gen 3's

Attached Files:

7. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Not sure where you are located, but the Cabellas by me always seems to have a butt load of police trade ins. Mostly Gen 2 glock 23's but every so often they get some Gen 3 23's in.

8. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I'm in Knoxville, far...far away from any decent store. I'm looking more at the facebook firearms groups I belong to as well as Armslist. That graphic helped a lot, thanks. At least now I know that I can spot what gen it is by the grip alone.

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

You know you can order from cabellas, or from most any gun shop and have it sent to a FFL that is local to you. The local shop will probably charge you for the transfer, but depending on the deal may be worth it.

10. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I'm looking to trade up, not buy outright, and I'm looking used. I wouldn't buy a used gun from any store sight unseen. I would want to inspect it first.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Way to go. Glocks are so abundant, no need to turn to web auctions for used. They are also shooters not safe queens and need to be inspected first. Only two things that matter are different in Gen4. The double captive recoil spring, and the backstraps. Also the mag release button is larger, if you care.