Glock for army

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Airborne_Ranger, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Airborne_Ranger

Airborne_Ranger New Member

As a former ranger I really would hope we stop using the M9s and upgrade to the GLOCK 19 9mm.. I mean the M9s are nice but sometimes the hammer bothers me.

2. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

I've gotta disagree.

I think the Army needs to go to a Glock .40 such as a G22..... The 9mm with FMJ ammo just doesn't have enough stopping power in my personal experience ;)

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'd like to see them put the 1911 back in y'alls hands,but it would never happen.I will have to agree g19 would be a step up from the m9,even though I think a caliber change is in order as well,9mm is good for ccw but for a fighting handgun I'd like to see something different.

Of course that's just my opinion looking from the outside in,the only people who know what would really be best utilized by our servicemembers are our servicemembers

4. CarlsbadRanger06

The only thing that makes a Glock 19 better than the Beretta M9 is the fact that it is Glock. It would literally utilize the EXACT SAME 9mm NATO FMJ cartridge, making it the same piss poor battle caliber.

But yes, a .40 Glock or even Beretta would be very good!

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

The only reason I think the glock would be better than the m9 is that it has the upper hand for reliability and I can see it lending itself better to the current theatre of operations.but yes can't agree more about the 9mm being insufficient for a handgun with the philosophy of use that a military sidearm has

6. CarlsbadRanger06

I'm sorry man. I've been a Ranger for a long time now. When were you AD? When did you get out? What Battalion?

I ask because what you said really made me think and made me suspicious. As an AD Ranger with at least 100 Ranger friends that are no longer on AD, I honestly don't know any one of them that do or will ever refer to themselves as a "former ranger"; if they or I ever did, it would at least be capitalized.....

Not trying to be rude, but if you could let be know I'm sure it'd clear everything up. LOTS of guys get on the Internet and claim to be SF, Rangers, SEALs, and other Special Operations soldiers which is why I am probably overly suspicious and maybe even paranoid. I earned my Tab and get ridiculously angry when folks lie about it ;)

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

The 9 has some good sd ammo out, but the issued stuff is crap. I think this is where a lot of the m9 and 9mm bashing comes from. I have SEEN the bullets come out of my m9, punch through a target (paper and corrugated plastic) and later picked it up from the dirt on the other side. No bueno mi amigos. Even the 9mm would work (not necessary optimal, still) if they just issued better quality ammo.

8. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

AD U.S. Coast Guard issues Sigs in .40 180gr H.P.'s in Conus and Ball in theater.

9. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Makes ya wonder. Doesn't it.

10. billt

billt New Member

It will never happen. The Army likes grip safeties and the Glock doesn't have one. Old habits die hard in the military. A Glock is without question the most reliable and cost effective weapon they could choose. But they won't. The military has always been a big fan of buttons and levers on their handguns, and the Glock simply doesn't have enough of them.

11. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Army C.I.D, U.S.C.G., N.C.I.S. already are issued Sig's w/o Safety's. They are already in the System

12. billt

billt New Member

In small numbers only for specialty groups within the hierarchy. Not as the official sidearm issued to troops en masse. Special Ops, SEALS, and the rest of those guys have been using whatever they want for years. I can all but guarantee you not one single weapon that went into Bin Ladens house was a stock GI issue out of the armory.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

How about an XD45? Grip would be better and has a grip safety. Springfield would probably be willing to mfg here on an order that size.

14. Airborne_Ranger

Airborne_Ranger New Member

Yes the glock .40 would be nice, but we ready have tons of 9mm ammo, bow we have to switch to the .40 cal. Would be alot harder. I woe much rather gave a glock .40 but I have never had anyone that didn't drop after engaging them with the M9..

15. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

It caliber and type pistol the army chooses will be based on how safe and effective, cost and operational, the next handgun will be. I hate to burst you high speed operators bubble but a lot more thought will be put into how safe that gun is to carry around and how easy it will be to train REMFs on how to use it. My money says that the new one will have a manual saftey and decocker as well as chamber indicator.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I love my XD45 and think it would be as easy to use as and train for as an old-school DAO revolver; i have heard that is part of the appeal of the glock to the LE planners. They even make a model with a manual safety to back up the grip safety.

17. mcb

mcb New Member

I thought that SF guys could carry whatever they choose. I believe the reason the military switched to the 9 mm was to become standard with NATO for logistical reasons.

18. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

ball ammo

ball ammunition is uses in compliance with the geneva convention. the U.S. will not use hollow point ammo. Police can use it on their own citizens but the military will not use it against our enemies. I think it is pretty stupid. I carried a M9 many times overseas and yearned for some gold dots or cor-bons but used and shot plain ol' ball.

19. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

we are not signatories to the accords banning H. P. ammo but we follow them.

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Anyone who believes our servicemen only use fmj has been successfully .gov brainwashed.