Glock Compensator Models

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by heavygargoyle, Oct 24, 2011.

1. heavygargoyle

heavygargoyle New Member

Are the compensator models only for military and police?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Are you talking about the "c" series? Like 17c?

3. heavygargoyle

heavygargoyle New Member

yes that's exactly what I mean

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Nope, not restricted, they are available to anyone that wants one

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I used to have a g23c, eventually traded it for a g31 because i wanted a full size .357sig

6. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

That is not a compensator, it's a ported barrel. There is a big difference.

You can get drop-in barrels from EFK Firedragon that extend out 1/2" which are ported. Those won't spray garbage all over your front sight like the one shown on the 17C where the ports are behind the front sight..

You should actually shoot one first, since ports do not do what a true compensator does. Drilling port holes in the barrel has virtually no effect IMHO, and I have about five ported barrels.

A true compensator has an expansion chamber where gases going forward expand out and hit a wall to offset recoil and reduce muzzle flip. Ports do very little because there is no expansion chamber.

Plaxco does a good job explaining why this is so in his book Shooting From Within.

It's also generally accepted that ports and compensators only have a usable effect on very high velocity rounds.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 New Member

Thank you for your explanation but for informational purposes and to avoid any confusion we shall consider the Glock C-models to be compensated since that is how Glock refers to them and I believe the creator of this thread meant those particular models only, not what you just described there...

By the way to answer the question here there is no rule against owning a C-model, I am not LEO or military and I own a G17c and it works great, I absolutely love it