Glock Coatings

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by SquirtGun, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SquirtGun

SquirtGun New Member

I have heard that a glock is coated with something called tenifer. Can anyone explain the things glocks are coated with and why they are coated with it? Thanks

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

glock

Tenifer is a metal treatment that is more than a coating. It alters the metal in a way that makes it resistant to corrosion and wear. The surface of a Glock slide is very hard. My S&W Sigma has a similar treatment that makes it nearly impossible to engrave. Had a bud that wanted our SWAT logo engraved into his slide but Smith said they could not engrave the slide. It was harder than the engraving tools.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm, Interesting.:eek:

:D

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Tenifer uses a cyanide process, extreme pressure, and heat. It seals the pores of the steel, imparts a surface hardness approaching a diamond, but allows the core of the steel to remain softer. This essentially eliminates metal fatigue, by changing the "harmonics" of the steel. Sealing the pores makes it very hard for the steel to rust. Glock tenifers the steel parts of their pistols, including the barrels inside and out.

S&W uses Melonite. It is just about the same as Tenifer, but the use of the cyanide is illegal in the US. It is very close to Tenifer.

Both processes are great. I have thought about having one of my 1911's Melonited.

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I think they call it Astro-Glide now days:D

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is another slippery coating, Gordo.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

How much would it cost to have a gun Melonited? Is it worth the cost? Could I get a Mosin Melonited?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am still waiting for The Man with The Golden Gun to show up and post some pics. :cool:

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The Mosin Nagant is already indestructible.:D

I know someone who does Melonite, but he does not have an FFL, so can't receive my frame. He tells me that doing the slide/bbl/small parts, but not the frame, means that the frame will wear out fast. All, or nothing.

10. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I think the only way to engrave a Glock slide is to laser engrave it. I saw a glock slide where a guy, who MUST have been VERY bored and had NO social life, too newsprint and rubbed it for a HELL of a long time and was actually able to "Polish" the Tenifer coating and made it very cool looking.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is fairly easy to polish a Glock slide. Polishing it removes the surface finish which is applied on top of the tenifer.

12. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Glocks are coated with the same stuff that Achilles was dipped in as a baby

Didn't you know that?

13. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

It is still a bitch....

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is one of the best things I've ever read. Thanks!!

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've polished a few and it really isn't that tough. I used wet dry paper with oil on it, followed by a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge. The slide ends up looking like it has been NP3'd.

16. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Tennifer and Melonite are both produced by the same company. Tennifer is for non-stainless steels and Melonite is for stainless steel. If you treat stainless with tennifer it becomes brittle. If you want to have a Glock w/laser engraving call Glock and special order the engraving you want, they engrave before the Tennifer treatment. But this option is PRICEY. If you want your Nagant coated call Robbie ROBAR in AZ for a price check.

17. Whiskey-Tango

Whiskey-Tango New Member

Did it look like this? Here's mine...

Attached Files:

18. indyfan

indyfan New Member

That looks like something out of Underworld

How much did it cost to create that beast?

19. Whiskey-Tango

Whiskey-Tango New Member

a little of $300 i think? looks cool at night when i shoot it, the quadra port makes 4 flashes spit out the corners. it reduces muzzle velocity about 35-40%. its recommended. for sh!ts and giggles here's an old used AT4 i kept from my military days

Attached Files:

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Just for sh!ts and giggles, what did you used to do back in them "military days" if ya don't mind me a asking?