Glock Carbine Conversion Unit

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by 2ndChildhood, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 2ndChildhood

2ndChildhood New Member

Hi All - there has been much speculation about the legalities of pistol-to-rifle conversion units. This troubled me when considering a Mech Tech unit. Upon researching the subject I discovered that a recent BATF ruling lays the subject to rest. Yes - it is perfectly legal to add a 16+" barrel and a shoulder stock to a pistol and then convert back to the original pistol. Mech Tech must have been pestered to death with this question and I see that they have posted detailed info on their forum with all the documentation needed - much of which I discovered elsewhere. It seems that the Mech Tech unit is also legal in CA if it has a 'bullet button' magazine release. Here is their site: MechTech - Home
    I finally 'bit the bullet' and obtained a CCU from them - shoots great.

Attached Files:

2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

I've decided to buy one in 10mm. We'll write a range report when it comes in.

3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I have two Mech Tech conversions in 10mm
    An early one for 1911 and a newer one for my Glock 20
    Both are loads of fun and surprisingly accurate
    They are a quality product and mine are very reliable
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It should make a really nice set up for the 10mm. I was looking at them and they look very well made and thought out but the weight is pretty high for a pistol caliber carbine except for the 10mm which is a pretty hot cartridge. It is only a 5 ounces under my 6 lb 13 oz AR with steel flip ups and a red dot. My 9mm Sub 2000 weighs just under 6 lbs with 18 rounds on board, a red dot, laser, rails, forward grip and a Red Lion front sight. Dont expect a major boost in power with the longer barrel. The pistol cartridges are pretty efficient in short barrels and gain is only 100 to 150 fps in most cases. Not like a 357 magnum that gains 300-400 fps. You can get some additional boost if you hand load specifically for the long barrel.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter