Glock aiming impressions?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by boatme98, Aug 20, 2012.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

First, ths is not a bash thread. Please don't make it one.
    I was talking to leo at the car wash today. They have to carry Glock 21's. He's been on the force awhile, starting with S & W revolvers. When they first went semi auto, they offered a choice: 1911, Sig, or Glock. He carried a Sig. After awhile they realized they had to stick with one, they chose the Glock.

Now this officer told me he originally hated it, but has learned to tolerate it.
    His reason is that it's not a natural aim. He says that , for him at least, it shoots high. Just from the grip angle.

I have never fired a Glock, 'though I have held them, and just from that I feel the same. They don't feel like a comforatable, natural shooter. My Sig is pretty much point and shoot, as are all of my other handguns. Even the CZ 52.

So for the Glock shooters, what do you think? Did you have to adjust radically to become proficient?

2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I haven't noticed a problem when switching from my other guns to my Glocks. To me my body naturally adjusts and I don't even notice the angle. I carry a G22 on duty now since it has become standard department issue, but I have also carried my full size M&P .45 on duty in the past. To me the adjustment just comes natural when I pick up a different gun...Everyone is different though.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Doesn't point naturally for me at all. I shoot really good with them though.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Yea I don't have any problems between my Rugers and my GLOCK. I pick them up, aim, and shoot with no problems!

5. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

see I had problems going between my Browning and my 17 had the 17 for three years and never matched the accuracy I had with the Browning that's why I got rid of it. I regret it but I understand the officers point

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The thing I don't understand is don't you need to get comfortable with the weapon not the opposite. Another thing isn't all guns different?

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I think my thing is the safety in the middle of the trigger my finger was always hunting so I'd be left with too little trigger finger right with too much I figured this out after I or rid of it maybe one day I'll pick me up another so I can master it I hate having not won that one

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If I shoot my Glock like a 1911 then it would shoot high, but they feel so radically different that I shoot both well.

There's a reason the Glock is my favorite carry gun and the 1911 is my favorite range gun.

9. khegglie

khegglie New Member

The Glock points high for me vs others, I think it is the palm swell.

10. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

same here. the grip angle makes it FEEL like I'm pointing it into the dirt in front of me. but, one of the prinicpals of shooting being "find your front sight and acquire a sight picture before squeezing" prevents me from ACTUALLY shooting it high.

never had an accuracy issue with one, just notice that it feels different than others.

but, I'm also not a fan of the trigger safety. after a full day at the range, my index finger was starting to feel numb from the trigger.

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Safety check it, make sure its unloaded, point it at the store you brought it from walk into the store and tell them " I purchased this by mistake" "where are the 1911's please?"......

Just kidding, I promised to stop bashing HiPoints so GLOCK it is.

12. cmidfield14

cmidfield14 New Member

Going from a Glock to 1911 in the same range trip gives me trouble. If I shoot the Glock first, then go to 1911, I wind up shooting very low. If I go back to the Glock it's back to normal.

If I only shoot a 1911 during the range trip, I'm fine.

13. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

No big difference to me really. Ill shoot my buddies 1911 then right back a Glock. The 1911 is a tad more accurate, but grip angles were un noticeable for me

14. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

I shot my g17 better then my p89. At first I was shooting to the left at the right height but it was because I wasnt using my left thumb to push it back to the right if this make any sense.

( im right handed so both thumb are on the left side of the slide) so I use one of my thumb to straighten up the shot

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The angle that you break your wrist (I'm not sure if that the right phrase) is vastly different between the Glock and the Sig or pretty much any other firearm at least to me. Once you acclimate to it it's quite accurate. I've had one and preferred my sig over it.

16. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Thanks for all replies. It's been about 9 months since I've been able to shoot due to heart surgery, but it's about time to get back to it.
    I'm moving to a town with a few ranges, so I'll be able to rent one now.
    I don't think I'll ever give up a Sig for edc, but I'm interested in the Glock, if for no other reason than it's a whole 'nother way to spend money that I don't have. :)

17. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

Point of aim is never a problem for me unless it's a revolver. They have a strange angle that feels unusual for me. The glock feels natural. The only thing I hate about the glock, XD, M&P, and all other striker pistols is the squish in the trigger before the trigger bar lets go of the striker. I absolutely loathe it. I prefer the crisp clean break of a sear in a hammer fired pistol. A medium or heavy striker trigger is absolute hell trying to keep the muzzle steady (for me at least). I switched from a Glock 17 to Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm HC and I haven't looked back. The trigger is so much crisper and easier to pull, less influence on the muzzle, easier to aim.

I think that might've played a role in the NY shooting recently where the police accidentally shot bystanders. They have 12 pound striker triggers. I couldn't imagine trying to shoot that, especially in a crowd. They should let police carry what they want.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  18. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

I never bashed glocks at all. I said *I* (meaning me, not you) don't like striker triggers. I never said I was an expert marksman, either. I simply pointed out that there's a big difference between striker and sear triggers, and for someone that's been shooting with a hammer for their whole life, the striker feels like crap. When did I bash anyone or say that glocks sucked? I actually think they're great guns. I think you might've drank too much coffee.

And these police officers in NY *CANT* use a 2.5lb trigger. They're forced to use the 12lb trigger only. I would assume that these police have plenty of range time, and they could be considered above average marksman, but they hit what? 9 bystanders? The trigger dynamics do play a big part in your aim. Todd Jarrett agrees and talks about it a lot during his instructional courses. He IS an expert marksman (probably the best I've seen or ever will see in my life) with pistols.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I grew up shooting revolvers, had a 1911 but its just anothe handgun. I just find enought difference in trigger designs to matter much or grip angles after finally shooting our first glock. It takes a few rounds to get back in tune with ever I am spending time with and then it feels noraml again. Allways finish a range secion with my cc pistol. Even a well tuned 2lb 1911 feels no better well tuned 2lb revolver SA trigger or a 2lb glock race trigger to me. GLOCKS, are just a head game for some. Not for others.

Cops, They should be able touse a standard issue trigger as these ultra heavy triggers just destroy any ablility to hit a target under stress for a leo that is limited to training and practice. Just bad all around. Does not matter if a glock or a s&w revolver or a m&p with departments like NYPD

20. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Uhhhh New York trigger anyone?