Glock .45 recoil?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by GlockRenegade, Jun 9, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ok guys I really want a .45. I have shot my buddies Taurus PT and it was awesome. Very accurate and very low recoil. Which leads to my question. I was shocked by the low recoil. Is this because 1911's have steel frames? Do Glock .45s kick more due to the polymer? Your experiences please

2. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

IMHO, recoil on my 30SF was non-existent - or nearly so.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The weight difference between a full size 1911 and say a G21 is measured in ounces. If you can handle the recoil on one, you can handle the other.

4. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Never shot a .45 1911, only my Gen 4 21 .45ACP. Can't imagine the heavier steel 1911 would have any more recoil.

5. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Steel frames, of course, means heavier gun which translates to less muzzle rise. Also the 1911 frame is made in such a way as to allow a high grip on the firearm, thus the recoil is directed straight back into the shooters hand. With that said, a polymer gun like the Glock will jump more in your hand just because of the lighter weight, but..the polymer frame absorbs more of the felt recoil so even shooting the venerable .45 is not unpleasant. Get your Glock and get to making it dirty!!!:D

6. techiej

techiej New Member

I have a G17 G4 and have shot the G21 -- honestly I think the recoil is different but not any worse between the 17 & the 21 (9mm vs 45mm).

Having shot a Glock in 40 (can't remember the model) the perceived recoil is greater in that than in these 2.

Have also shot the 10mm and like the 45 the recoil is different (more of a push-back feel than a muzzle flip) but more pronounced but in neither case was the perceived recoil a big deal.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A 9mm or .40 S&W are higher pressure rounds, so they can be more "snappy" than a low pressure .45 that seems to give more of a hard "push" in the hand.

Also the height of bore over the grip has a lot to do with how recoil feels, as it can make muzzle climb better or worse. I have a G21, a couple 1911's and a Sig 220 in .45 ACP. The Sig seems to have more muzzle flip, while the G21 seems to have the least and the 1911 is in the middle. Also consider grip contours and how that distributes recoil forces in the hand. A thicker grip will distribute that recoil impulse over a larget surface area which could make it seem to be a lower recoil.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a G36. It weighs about 21 oz empty and 27 oz with 7-230grn rounds. The last few rounds do generate some recoil. A while back I hurt my hand and thought I might have to sell it but the hand got better and I am back to shooting it again. My XD 45c and the 1911 have less noticeable recoil because of the additional weight. I would rather shoot my G36 than the G23 in 40 S&W. The impulse is totally different.

9. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Thank you sir very informative

10. xd man

xd man New Member

remember your polymer guns like glock have a habbit of absorbing some of the recoil.

11. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

SPINCO recoil reduction system. Look into it. I have one in my 1911 makes felt recoil even less.

12. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

I bad a G21 and the G22 has alot less recoil the the 45. The 45 isn't bad though. I thought it would have been alot worse. And river 9mm I shot had alot more recoil then then the. 45

13. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

14. franco4027

franco4027 New Member

I have both 1911 and g30sf. 45 acp is not a heavy recoil round in any normal sized gun. I do notice that there is a difference in the recoil feel. The 1911 tends to roll up and back while the glock is more of a push with little muzzle rise. The glock recoil is lighter than the 1911 and on par with my G19 in 9mm. If you have adapted to any of the major caliber rounds the 45 acp will pose no recoil challenges

15. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I have a G30sf and it has very little recoil, very soft shooting.

16. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

According to my measurements, the center line of the bore to the web grip ogive center, is higher on the 1911, than the G21, inducing more muzzle flip.

17. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Actually, the higher your grip the less flip and the faster response for a second shot. That is the reason the 1911is the primary handgun for Bullseye matches (25 yards), which include rapid fire.

As far as 45 ACP recoil, I would describe it as more of a push and is certainly not a problem in any of the Glocks or 1911 style handguns. I personally find the 40 much more uncomfortable to shoot because of it's sharp (biting) recoil.

18. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

Yes.....that was my point, the G21 has a higher grip than the 1911.....

Although there is just a small difference between the two.....the grip shape/size, as well as shooter technique can easily mask the effect. Although the grip is higher on the 1911, for most trained shooters, the 1911 is easier to make more effective double taps, even though the theory is the 1911 would have more muzzle flip. Too many other differences between the two designs for the grip height to be definitive in my judgement.

Nonetheless, if a shooter has issues with the recoil difference between the 1911 and Glock 21, or 9mm, 40 and 45 comparison, between similar size frame guns.....the shooters has other issues rather than just weight of the handgun and recoil.