Glock 42, possibly the best .380 ever made?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by molonlabexx, May 19, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Glock 42, I had high expectations and boy were they exceeded. I had my first encounter with the small runner up today. I asked to see it and my first thoughts as I held it were "wow this thing is sick". Then I did a trigger test and wow you guys... This thing is smooth... The trigger has a VERY crisp reset and hardly any play. Most .380s (m&p bodyguard) have very tough trigger pulls, not the glock. Can't wait to get it to the range but first impressions are outstanding! Glock has once again marveled me.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Llama III. Locked breach 1911 look alike. Easier for weak hands to manipulate the slide.

For those who prefer a DA/SA, the Browning BDA/Beretta 84. 13 + 1 capacity, slide mounted decocker.

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Have you seen the Bersa thunder .380? I haven't personally handled the firearm but I hear it is top notch, maybe even better than the PPK.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Never handled a Thunder. Evreryone raves about them though

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Have a friend with the Thunder. I grabbed her one of the Ext. 10 rounders for it at the last gun show. I'd want the +, 15 rd. Mag,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The thunder is about the same size as a G19 in OAL and height. I am already carrying a G19 in my pocket. Why would I want an oversize peashooter?

Now you see the G19
    [​IMG]

Now you don't see the G19

[​IMG]
    Perfection!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

What is this strange magic?!

8. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

I personally like the Sig p238. Glad the Glock is working out for you! Range report soon please!

9. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I was playing around with the trigger and boy she is so smooth! Even smoother than the XDS and any other compact I have handled. Although the XDS isn't a .380, it still falls in that category. I feel that Glock is everything a gun manufacturer should be.

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Surely you jest.
    Colt Gov't. 380, Browning BDA, Sig P232 or P238, any number of 380s are equal to, or superior to the 42.

I have nothing against Glocks, but put the kool ade pitcher down, seek out and fire some other quality 380s.
    You might be pleasantly surprised.

11. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Glock 42 is a pretty sweet .380 CC piece, that's a fact. Best .380 ever? That's a bit of a stretch.

12. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Well compared to all of the .380 pistols I have handled and fired, which includes a lot, this has great potential. To be fair I haven't shot it yet but the trigger pull and reset is crisp like a fresh apple!

13. DrFootball

"to be Fair, I haven't shot it yet" but it's the best 380 ever? Hmmm I think HK, Walther, Bersa, and Colt have something to say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't knock it, till ya try it !! ;)

15. DrFootball

The 42? Or Glocks in general? I have shot a 17/17L and a 19. Not for me, unless there is a change in grip shape , and a Safety lever. My brain needs something for my Thumb to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Meh the grip felt awesome!

17. DrFootball

Maybe for you Brother, but to me the most comfortable 2 Guns I ever shot were and still Are: My MkIV Series 70 Gold Cup with Pachmayr Grips, and My Taurus PT-92 Stainless Target, also with Rubber Grips. A Glock just feels like a toy to me. sorry if i'm old school.

18. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Hey, if it works for you then rock on! I have never tinkered with those specific guns. Maybe in the future!

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You have to admit a 15 shot 9mm with a 4" barrel that one can easily pocket carry is tough to beat for SD. I don't see the point of the G42 since I got the G19. The G42 is a lot like the Bersa thunder. It is as big as a lot of 9mm pistols but it is a 380. I would buy a Beretta Nano before the G42. The 9mm Nano is only a few ounces heavier.

Glock will sell a lot of G42's on reputation alone. The G42 will be popular with people who are recoil sensitive. I wouldn't feel out gunned with a G42, but I prefer a 9mm.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own a few glocks , Im just very confused with why they went .380 when they could have built a smaller 9mm . Other than just to have a .380 in their line up . Its still bigger than alot of current CCW 9mm's with the same capacity . Recoil is roughly the same between the 2 . Its not really small enough to be a bug . Im not a huge fan of the Diamondback DB 9mm but its screams Glock all over it with the way it breaks down / disassembles, and the way the trigger feels. To be quite honest I wouldnt be surprised if DB isnt paying royalties because of the design The grip is deeper than I like but its managable even with smaller hands . I know most Glock fans will swarm this one and give it lots of praise for its size and picking up another caliber . I just feel Glock failed on making what I would call a micro compact 9 when they went with the .380 instead of the 9mm

Diamondback DB9 Specs

Caliber: 9x19MM
    Length: 5.60”
    Height: 4.00”
    Width: 0.80”
    Barrel Length: 3.00”
    Distance Between Sights: 4.25”
    Weight (unloaded): 11 oz
    Trigger Pull: ≈5.5#
    Magazine Capacity: 6+1 Rds

Glock 42 specs

Length: 5.94 in.