Glock 42 issue not sure

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bigguns21, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bigguns21

bigguns21 New Member

When I lock the slide back on my glock 42 the firing pin slides in and out of the firing pin channel. Is that normal?

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yes, it is normal in a Glock. In fact, a stuck firing pin might be a cause for concern.

3. bigguns21

bigguns21 New Member

But it's not like this in any of my other glocks

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If we are talking about the same thing - the firing pin has some fore-aft movement, when the striker is uncocked. That's a free floating f.p. by design. I'll take a look at my 42 tomorrow.

5. bigguns21

bigguns21 New Member

Yeah it is just when the slide is locked back the firing pin slides back and forth. I'd sure appreciate it ! Least then I'd know it ain't just mine

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Glock striker has normal free play (audible too), so that the tip of the firing pin moves freely a tiny distance near the bolt face.

This is the G42 slide assembly in an upright position. The top pic shows the f.p. in a forward position, as I am propping up the striker with my finger. On the bottom pic the f.p. has receded back into the channel under the force of gravity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I have not seen or heard of this being a problem in 20 years of dealing with many Glocks AND paying attention to the Manuals. If no one has tinkered with your Glock, and the FP safety button works, I would be comfortable shooting it. Just in case call Glock Customer Service and get it all straight from them.

8. thehammer

thehammer New Member

Yes that is normal

The worst is yet to come