Glock 36 ?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Baldpaul, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Good day sirs, New to the Forum, new to Glock. I recently became the proud owner of the GLock 36. I"m a firm believer in knowing all about the gun, back and front before firing, carrying Etc. As a result, I have a problem already. Seem the slide release lever is not working at all. When racked back to lock, I can release by pulling back on rail and releasing, but when the rail is pulled back, I can not release from the side rail button. I tired with/witout magazine, loaded and unloaded, but still NG. Only thing I can figure, is that perhaps initial lubrication on rails and the specified areas are needed.. I've read where several readers have had some problem with tight buttons, but none that haven't worked at all... Any help? Baldpaul....:confused:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will get plenty of useful feedback on your purchase.

3. wolfshead

wolfshead New Member

It isn't safe to pull the lever and release the slide. That can cause damage.
    You should pull back the rail and ease it forward.

4. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Baldpaul-
    First of all, the Glock does not have a slide release. It has a "slide lock". That is why there is no good way to get your thumb or finger on it. I can still manage to drop the slide by pressing down on the slide lock but it is the wrong way to do it.

Pull the slide all the way to the rear. If chambering a round, let it fly forward. If dropping it on an empty chamber, you can ride it down to avoid any unnecessary wear and tear. I'm told that dropping it on an empty chamber won't hurt a Glock anyway, though.

There are aftermarket slide release levers made for Glocks. The problem is that releasing a slide in this way is less reliable because the slide starts out slightly forward and thus has less oomph available to seat the round being chambered.

It is best, according to Clint Smith, to forget about slide releases. Simply pulling the slide and letting go works on all semi-autos.

5. CyberMan

CyberMan New Member

Please tell more about the G36

Baldpaul:
    I can see that your post is from Aug 2009. I was planning to get a G36 for daily carry (CCW), but I have read a lot negative about this gun on the Internet. However, they are older posts and not from 2009. Something very bad I read about this gun is from 2006 at StoppingPower.net Forums - Glock 36 woes
    It would be very nice if you could share your experiences about this gun and tell how it shoots. Hopefully they have fixed the problems existing in older generations, and then I should get one directly. Thanks for your help :)

6. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Cyberman. I wish could give a definitive answer or reply. Fact is, I've only shot about 150 rounds through it so far. I have NOT had any feeding problems so far using the Magnetech 235 Ball ammo. I recently bought a box of Winchester 235 Ball, but haven't work through it yet. As far as accuracy, I'm the last person you want to ask for that. I'm in the learning stages as you can see by some of my previous posts. I am getting better tho. Help by the members here and a few of the police officers I have contact with, have helped. I figure it takes a lot of miles to become proficient. I would LOVE, however, to see someone who is good, shoot mine to get real good groups, so I get convinced its me rather than the gun... Paul

7. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Baldpaul-
    You say you don't shoot well yet...Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Good show. Most people can't shoot a pistol well, BTW. I shoot pretty well at the range but on the Internet, describing my shooting, I never, ever miss (LOL).

Try the bump drill : Aim in and keep pressing the trigger and releasing it until you accidentally fire a shot. Then you'll see what a surprise break is. Don't thank me-thank Bruce Gray of Sigarms...

Here's a link to Bruce Gray's bump drill video :
    http://www.downrange.tv/videos/bruce-gray.htm

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  8. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Rentacop, Believe me! I'm not above ANY suggestions and tips when it comes to better shooting. I've even talked to several officers I know who are looking at info on basic handgun training for me. I do my best to soak up ever bit of information I can. I don't believe in carrying until I'm ready to use my weapon properly..And I try every tip I'm given, to weigh the results for myself..Thanks. Paul

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You have a great attitude about it paul, I wish everyone felt as you did, we would be in the news A LOT less as a community.

Best of luck in your hunt!

JD

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Copied this from a huge thread from TFL. Interesting read as many folks think the slingshot method is "mandated" by manufacturers...

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

While I don't agree or disagree with that person's post - and for the record FTF does not condone forum raids - this did give me pause

100,000 rounds?? :eek::eek:

When did you replace your barrel??

When did you replace your mags??

That is A LOT of shooting. One box of .45 shells is 50 rounds. Given an average shooting trip to the range, that would last about, what? 20 to 30 minutes of targets up, shooting, reloading, talking, replacing targets, etc??

At 30 minutes per box, and I am assuming restroom breaks, pauses to chat with fellow shooters, general time for a new target, etc. that is 1000 HOURS of SHOOTING.

41.67 straight days of shooting?? With the same weapon?? That guy better we REALLY good with that pistol. And his name should be on some Gold Cups around his shooting club....

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This fella usually participates in the "torture" shoots where you put 5K through a gun over a weekend. Didn't mean to raid but this slide stop/slide release issue always gets confusing...

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's no big deal as long as we give credit where we got it. We just don't like to take information from another site without giving credit. It's considered rude forum behavior. You gave credit, so that is cool - I was just saying as a rule, FTF doesn't condone it....

Well, 5K through a gun in a weekend is a hell of a lot of shooting. I can see it, but to just say I have 100K rounds through a weapon, on the surface, looks real Interwebz Bravado to someone that doesn't know the guy.

I don't think I have one weapon that I have put 100K rounds through. I don't know anyone else that keeps a weapon that long to put 100K thru it.

Hell, my gunsmith built himself a nice 1911, had it on the bench and was loading up to go to the range the following weekend and someone walked in and bought it off him... LOL

Maybe my very first Daisy lever action BB gun when I was a kid had 100K through it. :D

14. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

On the subject of many rounds through a gun, Chuck Taylor's Glock 17 survived over 300,000 rounds. Not all were fired by Chuck. He let his students use it all the time. Details of the test are available on other sites. Todd Jarrett put 10K rounds through a Para 1911 in a non-stop torture test and posted the video on the Web. Youtube has a video of a similar test of a Glock, done by James Yeager ( Yeah. Here we go again ! LOL).

P.S. Here's a link to the Bruce Gray Bump Drill video I alluded to earlier :
    http://www.downrange.tv/videos/bruce-gray.htm

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  15. Baldpaul

Baldpaul New Member

Glock 36 Update & Thanks

This meant to be an update on my progress with the M-36. First of all, Thanks to all that helped me with education with this weapon. Among those would be Dillinger, Rent-a-cop, and the several officers at work, among others, all of which helped me tremendously. I went to the range with my 3rd set of 50 rounds, determined to take with me the lessons that you've all taught. Believe me, I concentrated with each lesson. I can't tell you how hard it is to put each together at the same time.. Breathing control, trigger control, grip, stance, composure. I gotta tell you, its work. I believe it's paid off and I'm very happy with today's results. In photo "A" I know what I did wrong..Too! much index finger, forcing me to use the Big knuckle (3rd joint) to pull the trigger rather the first two joint, causing "Low 7'oclock Hits. JUST! like Rent-a-cops videos he sent, said. When I settled down and concentrated on that, the shots in "B", became more consistent. Stance, breathing and the rest, put some decent numbers on the paper.. NOW!. although it doesn't look like much, when you shoot 15 rnds and hit the paper "Once", maybe twice! this is big time improvement. I not longer believe its the gun. My inspiration came from the encouragement of Dillinger and others. I believe the key for me now, its two fold. 1. I have to commit what I"ve learned to muscle memory intead of thinking about each lesson, and thats has to be with the addition of of few hundred more rounds..I know I can put them they're suppose to be now, if I do things the way I was taught.
    What I've learned:
    1. It's very important to listen twice as much as speaking, so talking doesn't interfer with learning.
    2. Its matter of putting the miles on with practice and yep! more rnds..
    3. 100 rounds of .45's goes REAL! fast and costs a small fortune, so I need to learn quicky and efficently before I have to sell the farm..
    Thanks again.l... My hats off exposing the Blad spot to all...Paul

Attached Files: