Glock 36 Mags. Plastic Peeling off?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by glockblues, Feb 27, 2010.

1. glockblues

glockblues New Member

Has anyone noticed a small piece of plastic peeling or breaking off in the front of the Glock 36 magazine? I'm talking about the plastic that is bonded to the metal just under the nose of the bullet where it feeds from the mag to the gun. I had to trim about an 1/8" piece off of two mags. They are all factory Glock mags. Is this normal? Thanks.

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Drop the Glock

If you must have Tupperware, trade that glock for a Springfield XD.
    Fully supported internal steel frame-much stronger
    Correct grip angle
    Better trigger
    Higher capacity Stainless magazines
    And cheaper to boot!

Sorry for not answering your actual question but at least now your pointed in the right direction!

3. glockblues

glockblues New Member

This is the Glock forum is it not? Listen, I'm just asking a question here. I'm not trying to start trouble. I bought my first glock, model 36. I love it. It shoots great. I just noticed the plastic peeling off the front end of the mag and was wondering if this is ok or should I send the mags back to Glock. Thanks

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not a Glock owner myself but generally I would say its not normal and either the mag has been dropped or some other contact has caused the plastic to come loose or be damaged in some way. Either way I would suggest getting replacement mags as there is just too much of a risk that a piece of that shedding plastic will find its way into some vital area of the chambering or firing mechanism and lead to a misfire or some other jamming of the guns workings.

5. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Glockblues-
    And while you are at it, trade your Honda in for a Chevy ( LOL).

There are a few hold-outs left in the world who refuse to acknowlege the genius of Gaston Glock. They have formed a guerrilla band and now hide in the FTF forums, coming out to ambush new posters and harass anyone who states the facts.
    These guys don't like the Glock's looks, feel, grip shape and trigger but those factors don't decide a gun fight. Reliability, accuracy, rate of fire, sights and magazine capacity matter.
    Compared to the Glock, with its years of use , the XD is, as its designation indicates, " experimental".

These guys think John Browning is God but he isn't. Jeff Cooper is.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Actually fit has a LOT to do with surviving a gunfight. If a gun don't fit you and point naturally for you, you're NOT going to shoot it well when under stress. You need to clarify your "facts" as opinions.

7. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

If you read what I said again, you'll see that I did not mention " fit ". Sure fit matters. What I was talking about are those name-calling, insulting individuals who get worried if the Glock doen't feel as nice in their hands as a 1911.

BTW- Glocks point okay with their grip angle and shape.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

[​IMG]

In response to the OP, I have had a small amount of thin plastic peel away from the steel near the feed lips of the magazine in my G21. I trimmed it and had no problems with function. Cosmetic only in my case.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Again-Glocks MAY fit/feel/point ok for YOU but that's again your opinion-not fact for everybody. Please clarify that.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

BTW XD = Extreme Duty. Not sure which magazine you read the experimental part in but you got some bad data there.

11. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Contact Glock Customer Service and explain the problem to them. If the magazine is not ancient, they will probably trade it out on warranty.

12. glockblues

glockblues New Member

Photo.

I didn't buy them from Glock. I bought them from CDNN. Like I said before, they seem to work fine but the plastic seems so thin in this area and it doesn't seem to have bonded well to the metal. I've enclosed a photo. The one on the right had the broken piece which I removed and lightly sanded. Function of the mags are fine. They are factory Glock marked 1725 on the bottom. the two that came with the new G36 have no numbers on the bottom.

[​IMG]

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That's what I meant

Thanks for backing me up Stalking Bear. Look, if the Glock design works for you great! If you had to use it with rounds coming back you and it still worked, even better. All I'm saying is that the first test of any defensive hand gun should the ability to hit at man at 10 yards without the sights because when the SHTF I guarantee you won't be looking for them!

The only guys I find who like there Glock's are COPS and being a COP does not make you a shooter. Half of these guys and gals never fired a gun before there LEO instructor handed them, guess what? A Glock! Last interesting note: What happened to COPs in the 80's that dropper there hit ratios from 1 in 6 to 1 in 16...HMM...seem like that's about the time they all went to Glocks!

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

There was no name calling from me? Just trying to point a fellow shooter in the right direction. I've shot most of the Glock models and your right, they just don't fit me. Also live in the Pacific NW and know that 2 Glock .45's have blow up on the Portland Police firing line in the last 10 years.

You're also right about John Browning not being God, Jeff Cooper is. However, that would make John Browning Jesus...Right?

15. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Lord have mercy, will someone kill this thread! Look different people like different weapons... period. They all throw lead down range. Get over it people and quite trying to force your opinion on each other. If it works for you great if it dosen't then don't shoot it. End of story.

Besides......

They aren't Smith and Wesson so they all are Sh*t. :D

16. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Even if you didn't buy the mags from Glock, if they are Glock Factory mags, they will stand by their products. Contact them, if they won't do anything, oh well, if they replace it, great. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

From what I can see in the picture, it doesn't look bad enough to interfere with anything, but it can peel more. I have seen a mag for a 22 that had a whole bunch of plastic peeled off. The officer who carried it is a SWAT member and fires 1000's of rounds a year and the mags were working fine, but why chance it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

White Lab's?

I've got a Chocolate Lab, seen Black Labs and Yellow Labs. Never seen a White Lab? We all know the best gun to have is the one your trust, the one you can shoot well, and to hell with anyone elses opinion, right...;) Personally, there's only 1 brand of gun that I don't trust and the simple reason is that I can't shoot them for shoot! If you can shoot em and you like em, more power to ya brother. At the end of the day were are enthusiast and all on the same side.

God love those of you who can shoot a Glock cause I sure as hell can't. But i guarantee an NRA action pistol competion between you Glockes and my 1911 would be good time for all;)

18. fofinger

fofinger New Member

Check again.....any Glocks that have been reported as "blowing up" has been because of the ammo not the Glock