Glock 36 Help

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by SK2344, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I just sold one of my Colt 45 SAA revolvers and now have money to buy another gun. I already have three Glocks, the 30SF, 19 and the 26. I love them all but I am really thinking about the 36 as my new EDC gun. I sometimes carry the 30SF but I don't feel I need all that firepower all the time so I'm leaning very hard toward the 36. I think 6 + 1 rounds of 45 is quite good enough for a carry gun, especially when you carry an extra magazine. I have in the past carried a 1911 that had 8 + 1 but I never trusted those guns as much as I trust my Glocks. I would like to have some input from those of you that have or have had a 36 to help me make a valid decision. Thanks!;)

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have had a G36 since they came out. Love it. 6+1 never bothered me at all.

3. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I thought I would get more feedback form those of you that own a Glock 36 but I guess I was wrong. I went out today and ordered the G 36 with the LE discount. I will be picking it up next week. I love my G 30SF but decided it was just a bit too much for me to carry for self defense every day. I placed the G 36 on top of a G 30SF at the gun shop and there is a big difference in the size and thickness. I know I will Love this gun with 6 + 1 .45APC. Carry 1 extra Mag and I will be well armed. Thanks anyway.:cool:

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'll continue, then.

IF Glock came out with a duty sized G36, I'd buy several. A single stack Glock 45 full size would be awesome.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Demand is high, but they are way behind in production on other guns. So they say "No dice".

6. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I don't understand!

I Hear from Glock People and Owners of Gun Ranges that the 36 just does not have enough firepower. I say to them that many people love the model 1911 with a 7 + 1 and this is only one round more than the model 36. The salesman that sold me the gun says that most people who buy the 36 trades them or sells them. This I DON'T UNDERSTAND! I think I will love this gun as much or more than my other 3 Glocks and like I said before, I won't feel under gunned at all.:confused:

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Enjoy what you have. What do they meant by "...just does not have enough firepower."? Missing the target with 18 is just as bad as missing the target with 6.

Practice and make the rounds count.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Mall Ninjas believe capacity trumps accuracy.

5 shot snubbies, Officer's sized 1911's, the list goes on. They have all been fine for the urban gunslinger for many years.

Would a 6 shot .45 be my choice to carry into a "serious gunfight"? Hellz no. But in that instance I would prefer a high capacity rifle or carbine with many spare mags. Point being, there is always a compromise. Be confident in the choice you make. Have that confidence based on preparedness, observation, and skill.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I agree. But still they resist.

10. Eric76

Eric76 New Member

That sounds about right!! The mall ninja comment..Maybe the gun store wanted to sell the most expensive .45 he could rather then the one that fits and is liked best. How can you be underpowered with a .45 ?

11. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I have always thought the 36, or a single stack .45 full sized frame glock would make a hell of a duty gun. I love my 36. The reason the 27, 22,23 and what not are in existance is because of the smaller female hand. they can handle the frame of the 22,23,27 better than the .45acp double stack guns, and have stopping power between the .45 acp and 9mm, which every cop in L.A. knows bounces off windshields.

A single stack full sized frame .45 acp glock, WOW imaging the possibilities.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently bought a used G36 and had a bit of trouble. Seems the original owner put in the wrong slide release/lock. Now it shoots great. I dont have huge hands so I like the size. The G30 was a little too fat. I like shooting it a lot better than the G23. Different recoil impulse. 27 oz loaded makes it nice for carry.

13. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

G36 is my heavy carry. LCP on the light side. Really feel more confident with the 36.

14. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

So what are these supposed other problems with the G36? I have seem some minor comments on here but nothing that makes me think the G36 is any less ready for the market that any other of Gaston's products.

Please elaborate on any issues, If you can....

Like the one above, I would guess that any issues are not a result of the G36, rather the previous owner and modifications made.

Anybody ever had any issues with a NEW gun right out of the tupperware?

15. hideit

hideit New Member

i'd rather have a g36 than any of the 3" 1911 45s

16. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I have both and switch them out for CC. (The defender is a .40 s&w) But that does not answer my wuestion.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I spoke with a Glock rep yesterday. He said the biggiest problem with the 36 was people trying to put an extended slide release on them. They dont make an extended slide release for the 36. The tab on the after market extended release has to be ground down to the same contour as the factory release. The tab has to be exact. The next biggest problem is aftermarket mags. Some are good and some are bad.
    Glock is close to having a factory in the USA. We may see some new models like a flat (single stack) 9 or 40 which for some reason they would be unable to import.

18. TrooperJoe

TrooperJoe New Member

I agree that compact 1911's just don't do well for me. Around the first of the year, I traded my Sig compact SAS Custom shop 1911 GSR, for a new Glock 36 and $200.

Got home with my new G36, and then read all the horror stories about this model. So, I called Glock on the Monday morning after the gun show and talked to a real nice rep. He shared with me that he liked Sigs and 1911s and had a number of them.

I shared my concerns with him about what I have read on the various forums about the G-36 and he asked for my serial number. He then said I should be OK and just enjoy it.

I shot it briefly when it was new. It seemed very accurate and fed and shot 3 different types of HP ammo as well as FMJ/ball ammo.

I then bought a Pearce mag extension (+1) and installed it. I shot about 50 rounds through it (a combination of JHP and FMJ/Ball ammo) and it was flawless (even with the Pearce extension which in my opinion could lower the stock spring tension a little).

This gun is very mild to shoot and very accurate.

Talked to a local gun shop/indoor range owner and he agreed with me on my opinion of the G-36. He said they have a 2 year old G-36 that is used as a range gun and they have had zero problems with it.

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all the info that is posted.

Thanks,

Trooper Joe

19. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I am pleased to read the variety of feedback on the G 36. At this point in time I'm very glad that I purchased the 36 and switched from the 9mm for my EDC. I have owned and used Glocks for 13 years and I'm still waiting for my first malfunction. I now own 4 Glocks and will never get rid of them. So far the G 36 has proved to be just like the rest of my Glocks, super reliable. //END//;)

20. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I have said that for YEARS. I have a couple of G21's. My old beloved G21 2nd Gen that was my duty pistol for over 14 years, and an SF my wife bought me a couple of years ago for Christmas (standard rail not the silly picatinny rail they came out with first).

I carried a G36 on my ankle for years too. It was, and still is, a shooter. I rarely carry it as my primary but on the occaisions I do, I don't feel under gunned at all. I ALWAYS carry a spare magazine or two. I look at it like a revolver with an extra round with a BIG hole in the end of the barrel.

I own a BUNCH of Glocks...and after well over 300,000 rounds I have only ever had ONE malfunction and that was when using a garbage Sherer range magazine. It failed to feed the last round in the magazine. Not even my old Wilson Combat 1911 or my Les Baer 1911 can match that record of perfection and reliability...and they both cost 5x as much as any of my Glocks (though I get the LE discount, but still). I can get a new "blue box" Glock standard frame for $400, or a large frame 20, 21, 29, 30, or 36 for $439...so the economy and reliability make them one heck of a buy!

I am glad you went ahead and got the G36...you won't be disappointed.

Still like M14sRock, I'd LOVE to see a single stack .45 on a full size platform from Glock. Maybe even in .38 Super....Do you hear us Gaston? Calling Gaston!