Glock 30S vs Spring field XDS

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by chris2192, Apr 27, 2013.

1. chris2192

chris2192 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy either the Glock 30s or Spring field XDS as my everyday carry. The reason? Cause they both shoot .45 and that's my caliber of preference for self defense for obvious reasons. I would like to read some of your feedback. Thanks in advance!

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The xds is the only of the xd line I'd ever consider, and I have many times. Wish I could trade my Glock 30 for one! Truly a beautiful gun from a quality known manufacturer.

Grip safeties rock! No safeties are no go for me for defensive purposes. Plus the xds is single stack isn't it? The glock 30 is double no? I prefer the single stack always, but especially here because 45s are already wide enough to support the large round.

3. chris2192

chris2192 New Member

I've yet to shoot the xds let alone hold one up close and personal. I've gotten all my info via research and word of mouth. I'm pretty sure the xds is single stack due to the fact that it Carrys .45 rounds. Thank you for you input!

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Look into a Glock 36 as well. Just like the 30, but single stacked

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

It is single stack, I was just trying not to sound like a know it all. Lol

I haven't shot the xds, only handled in store, but it feels good.

6. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I haven't shot the glock 30, but I shot the xds not to long ago and was quite impressed. I would snatch one up in a heartbeat if I was looking for another carry weapon. The recoil was very manageable for how small it is.

7. chris2192

chris2192 New Member

Thanks kalboy26. Appreciate your input. I'm planning on going to the range this week to run a box through it.

8. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

My XD-S review.

Cliff Notes version....I like mine a lot. :)

[​IMG]

9. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have owned both. I only kept the XDs and it is now part of my carry group. It shoots great and carries better than the Glock, IMO. Good luck, Ed

10. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I shot a friends XDs and I compare it to the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black movie. A LOT of snap. The grips are very sharp. But as far as a concealable .45, nothing is better. I'm partial to my M&P Shield.

11. EvolvedKing

EvolvedKing New Member

I LOVE my xds, it is incredibly fun to shoot. I added the granulated talon grips and its just awesome. Plus an extra mag is super easy to throw in the "5th" pocket in jeans or just a pocket in general

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The one thing I keep coming back to, when deciding not to get one, is that it's barely smaller than my current 45.

At 6.3" long the XDs is only .4" less than my Firestar.

At 4.4" tall it's only .35" in shorter and carries one less round for it.

It is thinner, by .2", which even by such slim margins counts for a lot in pocket carry, but enough to change from my preferred SAO 1911-like beauty... hardly.

Granted it's over 12oz lighter to, which would be very nice, but is the least of my concerns at the point. Once a gun is 20oz or more, the felt difference in a pocket is near negligible to me.

13. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I've shot both..IMO the Springfield would be the gun of choice if money is of no concern but the Glock is a better value.

14. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I own a gen2 Glock 30. Have had it over 10 years now. My neighbor not long ago asked me to get his anti-gun wife educated on firearms topics, from ownership and safety to defensive use etc. in a matter of 2 months I got her to 180 from zero weapon tolerance to having to handguns in their house and constant range visits. She got a XDM9 and he got the XDS45. I've fired both a great deal of times. In comparison, I don't like the design in the Springfield frames. It's quite harsh for someone who shoots frequently. Very aggressive pattern that can, and will begin to chew your hand. Both the xd's and the G30 time must have a pinky grip extension, they are equal in that. The XDS has a very low capacity in comparison to the glock, though the XDM holds more. In terms of accuracy, I personally am far more proficient with the glock than either of the XD's. that's likely a combination of time spent shooting each, but again is related to the aggressive pattern on the XD frame. Glock has always to me been the pinnacle of simplicity and reliability. At the end of the day, shoot both models enough to learn your preference, and buy what suits you best.

15. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

Interesting post...I was shooting my Glock 30SF last week and the guy next to me had the XD 45..We swapped guns and fired only 3 rounds but I put all 3 with the XD on top of each other nearly dead center. I actually thought it was slightly more comfortable than the Glock but only firing 3 rounds I really couldn't tell. I'm happy with my Glock and definitely don't think it's worth 2 to 300 more for the Springfield. The Glock is fairly comfortable, ultra reliable and accurate--I think they are some of the best values in firearms out there. (Although I recently bought an SW SD40 at a gun show for $329 new that is basically a Glock knockoff)

16. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

It takes a couple mags to realize the bite in the grip. (The XDS). I was definately far less accurate, but I have the Pearce extension on my Glock and the XDS did not. I despise having a wandering finger and that in itself is destructive to my shooting accuracy. I will say, I did actually fire a 9mm round through a .40 Springfield (by accident obviously) and it actually fired and tried to extract, though the extremely bloated case didn't cooperate in said extraction. Actually hit the 10 ring too!

Anyway, I think repetition is needed to feel the bite I speak of. It would be a huge disappointment for me to buy one and figure that out later. It's a deal breaker to me.