Glock 26 slide doesn't reset all the time.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by otisthecat, Aug 10, 2012.

1. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Sorry, tried to find a similar thread but didn't see anything. My brand new (as of about four hours ago) Glock 26 is having some issues and I'm not sure how concerned I should be. It wasn't every time I shot by any means, but a few times the slide would stop just a couple mm's before fully resetting. I can recreate the issue by pulling the slide back and slowing releasing it. It will either stop a couple mm's before ressetting, or will have a little "stutter" before ressetting.

Anyone able to alleviate my concerns?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

How's the recoil spring look? Any noticeable rough spots on the slide rails?

3. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Spring looks fine (very untrained eye though), I gave the rails a once over but I'll do a more detailed exam this evening.

Also, don't know if this makes any difference, but it's a NIB Gen 3.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have no personal experience with the gen 3. I'm sure its a minor issue may just need some oil and more range time.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Shorter pistols can be more sensitive to ammo and not having a really firm grip/locked wrist. Also if it is new it may need to be run with some pretty hot ammo at first.

Did you do any cleaning of the gun prior to firing it? What type of ammo did you use?

6. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I did a quick cleaning just to make sure there wasn't any leftover factory gunk, but nothing real thorough. I assumed it was my poor shooting ability, combined with a new gun and topped off with White Box ammo that did it, but when I was able to make it do the same thing just racking the slide I decided for once it may not have been user error.

7. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Bad recoil spring for sure.

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

That's what I'm starting to think. Been messing with it for the last hour, and while I think it's gotten better than it was, it's still doing it. It feels like the spring is snagging on something just enough to gum up the works.

Back to the LGS tomorrow I guess. Really hope they can fix it without me having to send it in.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is called "failure to lock". It can be caused by ammo (try different brand), operator error (limp wristing or allowing your thumb to rub the slide) or perhaps the gun is not broken in. I never try to diagnose problems until the gun has at least 200 rounds through it.

10. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Dead on the money.

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My guess is the Recoil Spring Assembly. Try calling Glock, mostly in this case they will send you a brand new replacement RSA

12. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

But would any of that still cause it to happen when not shooting? I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic, I really don't know. I have only put 80 rounds through it, maybe it will work itself out with another trip to the range. Works out fine as my LGS is also my range, so I was going back tomorrow one way or the other.

13. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I'm terrible at waiting, even more so when I have something new. I'm hoping for a quicker fix before resorting to calling Glock.

14. SSGN_Doc

Easing the slide forward would be similar to not having the gun held firmly or dragging the thumb on th eslide, because they all slow down slide velocity and could cause the slide to fail to return to battery.

The reason I had asked earlier about the cleaning, is because Glock puts some grease on the frame rails that ride in the grooves of the slide. This copper colored grease helps in initial break-in and should be left on the rails for the initial shooting. It should still function even if you cleaned it off, but it could also give you some of what you are experiencing, early on until your round count is higher.

Also, the recoil spring could be an issue, but it shouldn't be on a new gun.

I use pretty hot ammo early on when shooting a new pistol to ensure that the action gets enough force to cycle until it is broken in a bit.

Many will argue that a new modern gun shouldn't need to be broken in (I don't think that they should need it either) but I still have a habit of running warmer loads in teh beginning.

15. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

The true test is to make sure the gun is safe and empty first. Without a mag pull the trigger, pull the slide to the rear and ease it forward, if it does'nt go all the way forward and binds up with a quarter inch left to go, bad recoil spring.

16. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Exactly what my gun guy said this morning. He followed that up with "Stop d***king around with it and go shoot.". Which I did. Three boxes of different ammo, all fed without a hitch and the slide did its job.

I need to stop being so paranoid.

17. SSGN_Doc

Glad your second outing went better.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Like I said, break it in.

19. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Very much appreciate all the responses. For someone new to shooting, the forums and community here are a lifesaver.

20. R3c0n5n1p3r

R3c0n5n1p3r New Member

I had the same prob with a glock 30 brand new shooting 20yr old reloads I was freaking out my 1st glock mess up but after 5 more mags of Hott factory ammo it works fine ...