Glock 26 for CCW?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dizzll, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Hi guys, I just bought a Glock 19 for ccw and it conceals pretty well I think except for form fitting t-shirts... When I bought it though almost every guy in the gunshop was telling me to get a 26 because it's smaller, just as easy to shoot, can take the G19 mags etc... So I hit the web and the consensus seems to be the same. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and a 34" waist (I'm fit). Any of you had the chance to carry both that can tell me if there is that big of a difference? I'm gonna keep the 19 either way, just wondering if I should grab a 26 also? I held them both at the same time comparitively and I just didn't see much size difference. BTW, I'm very accurate with my 19 which I thought was paramount for ccw.. Thank you all for your input!:confused:

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

The major difference, that matters, as far as carrying either one is that the grip of the 19 is longer than the 26 grip. Magazine extensions, or 17 or 19 mags will solve the problem for the reloads if the 26 is "too short", but the longer mags defeat the purpose for concealed carry. You will also get more "kick" from the 26 when you fire it. If you can properly conceal the 19 go with the 19. If you think that you need a smaller frame, than go with the smaller frame. Carry what you are comfortable with and confident in. I have both, the 19 is for duty and the 26 is for off duty. Each one has it's place and method of carry. Actually, I use G-17 mags for my reloads for both weapons.

3. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Thanks glass: exactly what I was thinking... My friend who a San Bernadino Sheriff in CA says to carry a backup. Maybe a j frame .38 or something. I told him I'm not a leo, the glock is my backup plan! lol seriously though I assume your an leo or armed security by your response, what is your opinion on civilian backup carry?

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Yep, LEO for almost 28 years. For a civilian, unless you are in a really bad area, you probably don't need a back up, but you never know when the S*** will hit the fan. You aren't walking around with a target on your back (ie LE uniform) so you have an advantage and aren't at as much risk of losing your primary carry. Unless you absolutely have no other choice, observe and be a great witness. Handle things the way you handled them at your apartment.

You could consider a good knife as a "back-up."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Cool, my thoughts exactly. Trust me, last thing I want to do is pull a gun on someone. But I was also robbed and pistol whipped about 6 years ago, and I swore I'd never be a victim again... Thank you for your service in LE. A lot of people don't realize what crap you guys deal with every day.

6. psychobabble

psychobabble New Member

I have a G26 as my CCW and love it. Make sure you fire the G26 before buying it because it sounds like you have big hands and firing it with the 10 rd G26 magazine is a bit different than firing with the (G19) 15 round magazine in the G26. I practice with both at the range to become proficient. I have small-med size hands, size 7 in glove size. It takes some getting used to with the smaller magazine. Give it a try!

7. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

Hi Dizzll, Give this article a look see:D.

My Choice in

MotorG20

8. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Thanks for your feedback Walter! I just got my MTAC holster today and it is very comfortable, only negative is I'm wondering if I should exchange for a left hand draw cuz it only completely disappears at 6 o clock. The gun itself does not print but rather my jeans stick out at the low point. I think I'm gonna shoot the 26 tomorrow at my local and maybe just grab one if it shoots and conceals well...

9. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

10. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Had to qual my g19 for ccw today and while I was there rented a g26 and a g30. G26 felt like a watergun lol... Pretty accurate (almost on with my g19), but I was all over the place with the 30. Although the 30 is about the same size as my 19, I think I'm gonna get one and just use a clip in the front of my pants. I can't believe how ****ty I was with the .45 round accuracy... Night and day, and I'm a big dude. It would be a real ego hit to think I can't "handle" a .45 when I'm strong as hell in the gym...

11. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

It just takes practice, practice, practice. ;)

12. gun papa

gun papa New Member

This is 60 rounds for CCW qualifying. Two guns, 30rds with double action S&W Mod 65-3, and 30 rds with Glock 19. Both right and left handed. 7 yds.
    [​IMG].

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I disagree as most studies I've seen say the usual range in a self-defense scenario is between 3-10 yards. I do a lot of practice at 5-7 yards, I guess in your opinion I'm wasting my time?

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Gunfights occur at close distances. Some as close as an arms length away.

What Really Happens In A Gunfight?

Good article here about assumptions. My Gunfight - "Thinking Outside Your Box"

The Teuller Drill Gunfighting: The Teuller Drill and Its Applications

My Favorite!

TEN RULES OF A GUNFIGHT

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, more than one.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

3. Only hits count.

4. If your shooting stance is perfect, you 're not moving fast enough or using cover.

5. Keep shooting until the threat no longer exists; then stay alert until law enforcement arrives.

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gun fight, bring a rifle and a friend with a rifle.

7. Ten years from now, nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics; only who survived.

8. If you are not shooting you should be moving, if not moving, reloading, if not reloading, running for your life.

9. Firearm accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependant on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it was empty.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Pistols are best for targets and threats at 0-10 yards in close quarter situations, rifles and shotguns do much more damage than pistols. Shotguns are best for targets at 2-50 yards, and rifles are best for targets at 4-1000 yards.

Carry and be proficient with the most appropriate weapon for you, if not all of them. Most of us just carry a handgun, because it's much easier, less noticeable, and practical to do.

Jack

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Ok, if not 7yrds then how far should you practice for self defense?

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

Most of what I have read says even closer — that the average shooting takes place at 7 feet!

That doesn't stop me from shooting from 10 – 25 yards, just for fun, though. :D

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Even within states that have the castle doctrine and have "relaxed" gun laws, it would be very difficult to claim self-defence at the distances some folks practice at. Seriously, if someone is 50 feet away - do they pose an imminent threat to your life and limb - and could you make the law believe this?

I hear folks mention that they may have to engage at greater than SD distances because they might need to engage "mall shooters" or intercede in a robbery in progress. IMHO, that task belongs to LEOs and my carry permit does not grant me any powers other than to defend myself or my family from immediate danger.

A carry permit does not make us cops - I'll leave that task to the capable folks like Robo...

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Practicing at longer distances has its place. Actually shooting (not draw and take bead) at the close distances is sitting in the wheelhouse of the probability of an encounter where you actually have to use your piece in defense. If you think that you have a better chance of draining the lilly at McDonald's and walking into a situation where you may have to take some BG at the other end of the counter....then you are seriously mistaken. If you think that you might scare some intruder out of your house and you need to be able to hit the perp as he runs down your driveway then by all means forget the CQB shooting practice.

Oh, knowing where your aimpoint hits at 7 yards makes it easier to hit at 30 yards than in reverse....just sayin.

20. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

As LE we never shot at distances over 25 yards and even those distances were not encouraged. We only trained there so if we did shoot at that distance we could say we had been trained. With that said we were trained that most encounters occur at approximately 7 yards.

Now all I train with a HG is 15 yards or less for the reasons that NGIB posted. If I am at a distance greater than that, I can bug out and get to a safer distance.

I was also trained and other LE's have confirmed my training that when you are involved in a crime in progress type incident, you are better served as a good witness than an involved party.

As far as the OP. Yeah you can carry that, I CCW my G22 a lot.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.