Glock 23

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by topgun84, Sep 6, 2011.

1. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Any thoughts on the high chamber pressure associated with the .40 cal round and how much wear it puts on the firearm? Does shooting a lower grain bullet have any less or more of an affect on this?

2. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

Can't say this with any certainty but if your talking glocks they are hardy and I don't think the 22 would be so popular with LE if they couldn't handle it.

3. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

The 22 is what we get issued for duty carry but unfortunatly they dont get shot as much as they should. Ive got thousands of rounds through my 23 but i carry it off duty so i tend to practice with it a little more. Ive just always wondered if id get more life out of a 17 or 19. At last round count my 23 had 13200 rounds through it and it looks damn ruff. I know i could always rebuild bit im getting a little concerened about i failimg due to the cocerns of chamber pressure beatig the gun to death.

4. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

Hey topgun, a little browsing shows that the. 40 does have pressure issues. I'd give glock a call or wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

5. afi1

afi1 New Member

Generally, heavier bullets will lessen the load on the gun/shooter. I've got well over 10k through my G22, and a few thousand through my G23, of all brands, weights and types. As for the 17, there was an article in a magazine recently, where the author had in excess of 300,000 rounds through one, with only a trigger pin breakage at 200 something thousand. If you don't see wear on the frame, just replace the guide rod/spring every 2-3k, as Glock recommends, and call it good.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  6. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Thanks for the tip ill ive it a shot.

7. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Anyone heard of or used the new weapons lube called frog lube?

8. afi1

afi1 New Member

Nope, Slip2000 for me. That's what Pat Rogers ran on his "Filthy 14" BCM AR, 40,000 rounds and still trucking. SWAT magazine did an article on it when it was 30 some odd thousand, without cleaning.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I didn't think you fellas over here in the Glock department needed to worry about such things as lube. Just say'n

10. afi1

afi1 New Member

That's what the Army was telling the draftees heading to Vietnam with the first batches of M16s, too.

11. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Ive been using slip 2000 as well. Just startin to hear about frog lube and thought id try it but i run slip 2000 grease on my 1911s and AR-15s and regular slip 2000 on my glocks wirh awsome results. Necer seved in vietnam so i wouldnt know what they told em when they got into country. Just sayin

12. afi1

afi1 New Member

No lube, no cleaning kits, no chrome lined barrels and crappy ammo... They were set up for failure.

13. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Who makes a good personal defense 9mm round in 124 gr +p?

14. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Always been kinda partial to cor bon and speer gold dot. Any suggestions?

15. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Atleast in .40 cal. I wouldnt imagine 9mm from those companys would be
    Much different.

16. afi1

afi1 New Member

From my research, I've found that the 147gr loads are better performers, and are easier to shoot/less abusive on the gun. Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger Ts ect. are all good. I've always been partial to the Gold Dot myself.

17. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Cor bon is just so darn expensive.

18. afi1

afi1 New Member

From what I've read, their quality control can be questionable, and their bullets, with the exception of their all copper DPX, can prove unreliable when shot through more than just ballistic gel. Again I have no personal experience, but I take this from well documented tests of others.

19. topgun84

topgun84 New Member

Just tried speer gold dot 124 gr +P. Seems to shoot good thus far. May stick with it for the time being.

20. loucip

loucip New Member

Any one see a need for upgrading to gen 4?