Glock 23 guide rod upgrade

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Alpha1Victor, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I would like some suggestions on stainless steel or tungsten guide rods. Also what pound spring?

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Stay with the factory recoil spring assembly

3. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

If you decide to replace it do yourself a favor and get a captured spring model like the Lightning Strike model from Brownell's - part no. 642-000-012. The one in my G23 has worked very well for many years. When it comes time to change springs you can still do so with just an Allen wrench. For general use keep a factory weight spring in the gun. There's also the LaserMax guide rod with an internal laser to consider. I have a 1st gen Crimson Trace unit on mine and while I like it, it doesn't work with all holsters.

4. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Tungsten, very good stuff

5. vincent

vincent New Member

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent advice! Nothing wrong with the factory RSA and they've been field tested with millions of rounds. Also the factory spring weight probablly is all right unless you mostly fire hot loads.

7. Chris762

Chris762 New Member

Gent on YouTube melted his after about 800 rounds I believe. Granted it was rapid fire, but it would not be a terrible idea to replace yours. The heavier rod will also decrease upward moment at the muzzle.

8. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

I've upgraded my gen4 17 and 27 with the steel rod from glockstore.com. I've been very happy with them, and the slightly added weight up front does seem to help my accuracy with double-taps.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

9. bwilliamson

bwilliamson New Member

I have a Tungsten in my gen 3 Glock 23 and I gotta say its one of the best investments i've made. Huge difference in the way it shoots. It really will help you keep on target.