Glock 23 defense anmo

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by marine04, Nov 4, 2012.

1. marine04

marine04 New Member

Just wondering what you guys prefer in your glock. Hornady critical defense or federal hydrashok? I actually haven't fired either, but have been carrying the hydrashok. Didn't know which you guys feel are more reliable and have better expansion. I'm thinking of starting to buy up critical defense because it's cheaper but don't want to compromise quality.

2. Isis0927

Isis0927 New Member

Federal HST or Winchester Rangers.. Far, far better than critical defense or hydra shoks

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

First thing first is make damn well sure your gun cycles it reliably. Never carry an untested gun. How do you know you can consistently hit your target and that the gun consistently functions?

4. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

I say stay away from the Hornadys period, they dont expand very well in all my testing into balistic gel, Ive also had some that failed to expand, and one of the critical defense in .380 not have enough powder in it to even poke a hole in the gel... I like Federal HST's there better than the Hydro shocks, and expand everytime, also Winchester Ranger T's work very well...

pic is of .45 .40. and 9mm HST's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The Hornady Critical Defense is the only ammo to pass the FBI trials with 100% results. It had the most CONSISTANT (key word) expansion and penetration. It is the only off the shelf ammo I will carry.
    It also shoots more accurate for me, doing better than federal hydroshoks, Winchester PDX1, and Golden Sabers.

IMO Hornady makes the best OTS ammo for defense and hunting. Hornady or hand loads, that's my motto.

Hydro Shocks and Golden Sabers are probably the worst defense ammo out there. IMHO

6. Isis0927

Isis0927 New Member

You should look into the federal HSTs and Winchester rangers.. They're far better than critical defense. I've tested all of them and critical defense is sub par.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I'm just stuck on Hornady ammo, I've seen what their hunting and defense ammo can and will do every time you fire them. Plus Hornady has a track record for making the best ammo. I've had to many bad experiences with other brands, especially Remington and Federal, so I won't trust my life or the life of my family to them.

Defense ammo is all about what the shooter is comfortable and happy with. I just like the ammo they put out.

I'll look at the rangers tho, I haven't tested them yet.

8. danolator

danolator New Member

Nobody likes Gold Dot? Like a big haymaker.

9. Isis0927

Isis0927 New Member

Gold dots decent

10. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I carry handloaded XTPs because I get jacket separation with the other bullets I've tried. I guess the velocity is too high for some of them. :D
    If I did carry off the shelf stuff I would have to go with the HST first and the Critical Defense next. In Arkansas it doesn't get cold enough for big clothing to make a bullet fail so, a standard hollow point works for me.

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

You and your XTP's, at least it's still Hornady. Lol

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have the Gold Dots in my 23c. Love them

13. Gloves

Gloves New Member

All of this is really educational.

Where do I get Federal Tactical HST .45 ACP +P ?
    All I have loaded for HD is Hornady 45 +P 230 gr XTP
    I thought that was good now i'm feeling naked.

14. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Go to sgammo.com they should have them in stock..

15. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Nice but it's a bit less from this www.policehq.com
    I hope they are reputable. I just bought 2 boxes.

16. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

Speer Gold Dots are my choice in SD ammo. I canrry the 165gr, but would like to try out the 180gr.

You won't have any issues with Streichers, I get most of my duty gear from them.

Also if you want to see ballistics gel test, check out this youtube channel, he tests a lot of stuff and gets pretty in depth. http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/videos?flow=grid&view=1

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  17. MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn New Member

Winchester Tseries for me......curious why more people don't use them? Reliable/expansive/sharp talons

18. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I was just watching some reviewson the PDX1s. They are the new black tallans. I would also sport those.