Glock 22 disassembly issue

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by IvanKaz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I have a minor issue with my Glock. It's not really a problem, I'm just curious about it. When I'm disassembling it, after dry firing it I pull back on the slide then pull down on the slide lock and release the slide. Here's where the problem occurs, in order to remove the slide I have to pull the trigger again, and I know for a fact that I'm not pulling the slide back far enough to reset the firing pin because the gun does not actually dry fire. For some reason I have to pull the trigger again and the slide releases. Has anyone else ever heard about this or had it happen to them.
    Otherwise, the gun has performed flawlessly with close to 1,000 rounds through it.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

First, let some else attempt the disassembly and see if they have the same problems.

Has there been any mods done?

If something is not fitted correctly, or wears incorrectly, problems can arise. And if it does not work as it should according to owner's manual, I would be getting with Glock.

3. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Any chance, is this a Gen 4 model? I had the similar thing happen to mine, when you are reassembling it, make sure the slide goes on perfectly straight, the Gen 4 has like a little bubble sticking out of the firing pin, and it gets caught sometimes....

4. vincent

vincent New Member

I think I know what you're talking about...

You have very little slide travel before the trigger resets so it has to be in just the right spot to release the slide...

What I do is...with the trigger in the forward position, pull the slide back, (left hand) maybe 1/8 of an inch, depress the takedown lever, (right hand) then bring the trigger to the rearward position (left hand) while keeping the takedown lever depressed with the right hand. That should release the slide...

Clearing the gun first being a given...:cool:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Try to barely nudge the slide back to operate the pull down tabs. As little travel back as possible.

6. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I appreciate the quick responses. First of all, it is a gen 3 rtf2. Second, I've disassembled several Glocks particularly Glock 22s, so I'm certain that I am not pulling the slide back too far when I'm disassembling it. As I said before, besides this minor issue, the gun has been flawless. Lastly, I have not done any mods to it. It is as it was, direct from the factory.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you pull the trigger a second time and it "snaps" this is your answer. The only way for the pistol to give you this issue is if you are, in fact, pulling the slide back too far, far enough to reset the trigger

8. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

No. I'm positive I'm not resetting the firing pin. When I pull the trigger the only thing that happens is the trigger assembly moves. I know the difference between that and when the firing pin is actually "firing".

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Are you also positive that the slide won't go forward without pulling the trigger again? A little wiggle and a steady push won't help?

10. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I'm not sure about that. I'm so used to the Glock slide practically falling off on its own that I never really tried to push or wiggle it off.

11. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

Here's an update to the disassembly issue. It turns out that my gun was equipped with a NY1 trigger. It happens to be a heavier trigger used by the NYPD and the NYS Troopers. Instead of the standard 5.5 lb pull, it had an approx 8 lb pull. A side effect of this heavier trigger is that the trigger bar is pulled up by the heavier spring and the trigger bar gets caught on the slide when attempting to remove the slide. That is why the trigger had to be pulled again to release the slide. I've had the trigger replaced with a standard Glock trigger and the problem has gone away.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I never knew the NY1 does that. Thanks Ivan!