Glock 21 sf gen 3 vs ruger sr45

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kyboy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Which of these do you guys recommend? Im leaning toward buying the glock since I had a ruger p95 before that consistently jammed up ( not from limp wristing) . Im also aware I could have just had the rare bad apple. Which of these two do you guys think I should purchase for home defense ?

2. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Nobody has any opinions ?

3. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I've only shot a Gen 1 G21 and it shot fine. I have a P95 and it shoots like a champ!;) I've shot the SR40 which was real nice.

4. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I say Ruger, the only reason I'm getting rid of my Glock 22 is, because I don't trust it enough to keep it on my table at night with a round in the chamber, I prefer manual safeties like the SR45 has for Home Defense, now if it was a Carry gun, that'd be a whole different story.

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

You do know if the firearm is just sitting there, it won't fire by itself.;)

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I know that, but when woke up at night, I tend to go flinging stuff trying to get to said firearm....

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Buy the Ruger, life is too short for an ugly gun.

8. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Bought the Glock 21 sf gen 3 last night at Cabelas....just looked more simple and I like crude weapons, hell I hunt with mausers and mosins. Just couldnt trust the ruger after my last mishap. Thanks gentlemen. Going to shoot this morning and illet you guys knkw how it shoots. Plus I only paid 500 brand new, it was on special

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Only use jacketed rounds.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

10. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Thats all I shoot in my pistols. Thanks for the heads up

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No problem. I always warn first time owners. Not many people read their manuals and lead leads to kabooms.

12. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I know...I read its from the polygonal rifling that lead gets trapped in the ditches of the rifling.

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Exactly right.

14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Mountain..this is going to sound like a very dumb question but im here to learn. I used to think that all bullets were lead until I started researching Glocks. How do I know if a bullet I lead or not ? Are most bullets not lead these days ??? I just figured if I bought the more expensive ones then they were not lead ???

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Most bullets are lead, with a copper jacket. The new lead free bullets are all copper. As long as the bullet has a jacket you're good. Straight (cast) lead bullets cause the problems.

16. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Just went and shot a hundred rd through this ol beast at the local indoor range... shot a hundred rds in an hr. I used 50 rds of cheapo tulammo and fifty winchester brass. I did not have one failure of any sort. Shot like a dream.

Side notes..
    Gun was very balanced. It had light recoil almlst as if shooting a smaller caliber weapon. The recoil comes back Into the palm without the front of the barrel rising. I liked this a lot. I ha e shot 1911s where the front of the barrel hops all over the place. Very good for follow up shots. Overall im am VERY happy with this gun and am ready to go buy another Glock

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Also the accuracy was crazy good...I was shooting a little to the right and low at first because I think I was expecting a recoil but it was almost non existent in the capacity in which I anticipated

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Good choice on the g21sf, however I have a sr45 that shoots circles around my glock. You were in a win win situation

19. vincent

vincent New Member

Sounds like you made the right choice...

Just read a review of the SR45 vs. the G21 in GunTests magazine...

The G21 got their nod because...

1-Ammo, Winchester, Speer and Cor-Bon. The 21 ate it all, the Ruger had problems with the Winchester, but not the others...possible weak/inconsistent firing pin strike...

2-With the slide locked back, you cannot insert a fresh mag in the Ruger, and press the slide stop to chamber a round. You have to manually pull the slide back to chamber. In defensive and competition handgunning, you can see how this may present a problem...

3-The Ruger has a non-firing 'safety' option with the mag removed, the trigger will break but the firing pin does not move...

They said " We strongly agree with one of our test crew who observed that Ruger's trying to make a gun too safe could get it's owner killed"...

They had a lot of good things to say about the Ruger as well, sights, takedown, accuracy, fit and finish etc but those new 'safety' features alone would have been enough to turn me away, nevermind the possible firing pin issues...

Disclaimer-not saying the GunTests' mag is the be all, end all authority, just commenting on what I read...:cool:

20. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Good stuff! Yea we shot my buddy's compact sr40 today as well. It was one of the more clunky and grittier guns I've shot. Prob just needs breakin in. I wasn't too fond of it.
    I was very surprised how smooth the glock felt and very simple. Im very happy with my choice as im sure ruger makes a fine .45 as well. Thanks again for the info Vincent.