Glock 20

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by alaskandude33, Nov 26, 2012.

1. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

New to the glock world, bought a glock 20 for mushing but can not find any cheap practice rounds. Please help!

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Commandments of the Glock 20

Thou must load thine own ammo, lest ye be ass raped at the gun store

My reloads run $8-10/bx.

I will not run factory ammo in it ever again due to cost. When I started shooting 10mm, Remington 180gr HP was $8/bx. Now its 30-35 . No freaking way.

3. LubeckTech

LubeckTech New Member

If you get an aftermarket barrel like KKM or Storm Lake you can shoot 40 S&W.
    I have an EFK Firedragon 40 S&W barrel with built in compensator on my G20 which I shoot open in competition open class. I had to put a shim in my mags to get it to feed 40 S&W dependably. I made the shims out of the plastic boxes Barry's Plated bullets come in and they are on the inside of the mag at the rear so the cartridges sit a little further forward. If I were to do this again I would not go with an EFK barrel and would check with the manufacturer of the barrel about how well they expect it to feed and ask on forums like this and GlockTalk about the barrel you are considering. In my opinion the problem with the EFK barrel in that it is an exact copy of the G20 barrel with a 40 S&W chamber and no changes to the feed ramp to make it feed the shorter 40 S&W round properly.

4. willfully armed

/\

This defeats the purpose of having bought a 10mm.

Anymore of this nonsense will find you tied to a stake and stoned to death.

5. LubeckTech

LubeckTech New Member

When I first got a 10mm it was about $15.00/box and plentyful now I seldom see it. Anyway reloading is a must for 40 S&W or 10MM unless you are "independently wealthy"

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Please, kill some bears with it.
    I hear sled dogs love kibbles and bear bits. :D

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The GLOCK 20 is a beast. I held one at the LGS and that is a big grip. I really want a 10mm, but I don't know which one.:(

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

10mm

Check out a 1911 in 10mm

9. LubeckTech

LubeckTech New Member

Don't overlook the EAA Witness!!

10. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

I cannot reload my own ammo, I wish I could though. Cheapest stuff I've found in Alaska is blazer for $35 and the aluminum shell and my glock don't get along very well.

11. LubeckTech

LubeckTech New Member

G20 with 40 S&W Firedragon compensated barrel in action.
    175gr cast bullet at 1000 fps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76504313@N03/

To see the video full screen click on the button oin the lower right of the video.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  12. willfully armed

40 short and weak. You're pushing it way too hard.

180 gr in my 10mm.... 1175fps. Winner.

13. LubeckTech

LubeckTech New Member

5.0 gr of w231 with a Lyman 38/40 FN cast bullet OAL 1.13".
    Average velocity is 985 from a 4.75 barrel. so it is a "top end" load.
    No pressure signs and less recoil than 165gr Winchester factory loads.
    Maximum published charge weight is 5.6 gr of W231 but I think that is too much.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

10mm is not cheap, because it is not popular. Not on the 9mm, .40s&w, .45 scale.

Start reloading.

On a side note, could you have picked a worse Glock to start with? Come on, the thing feels like a piece of end-cut 2x4!!!

Congrats on the Glock. :)

15. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

Are you saying you'd carry around a 9mm or a 40 in Alaska?! Hahahaha!!!!!!!!

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You have a few options; Keep your eyes open for deals on 10mm (I understand it is still fairly popular in Alaska, don't your Troopers use it?), Reload (large initial investment) or get a caliber conversion for practice and plinking( I have Lone Wolf barrels in .40 and .357 Sig for my G-20).

In any event, save your brass (especially 10mm) as you WILL eventually meet someone who loads. You may be able to make solme sort of trade.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  17. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

The Troopers carry a glock 23 I think. Has anyone ever read about how the 10mm and .40 came along? Very interesting. Thank you for the tips!

18. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

My friend is an AK State Trooper. He told me they have their choice of G22 or G20 ;) He also told me that most go with the 22 since the 20 is bigger with lots more recoil.

19. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

There are multiple branches of the troopers in Alaska, such as the blue shirts (normal), brown shirts (wildlife), investigative (undercover agents), and SERT(special emergency response team, kind of like elite SWAT). Depending on your position I guess you would choose from there. The brown shirts most likely carry the 20 because of where they operate.