glock 19

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by west33, Mar 20, 2011.

1. west33

west33 New Member

Just got my first glock. Its a glock 19 gen 4 and I love it! Any suggestions on best ammo for range use and also what's good for ammo for home defense and for carrying? Also are there certain cleaning products that are best to use? Thanks

2. lancelot86

lancelot86 New Member

I usually just shoot the cheap stuff when at the range. As far as good personal defense... 9mm ammo that is not my forte.

3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

You made an excellent purchase by going with the Glock 19. I often tell people if they are going to own one gun, that is the one to have. I reload most of my own target ammo these days but the cheap Winchester White Box and Remington stuff and always served my just fine in all my guns for practice and fun.

As far as carry ammo...I am thinking about buying some Hornady Critical Defense for my 9mm pistols. But I am currently carrying Remington Golden Sabers mainly. I also have some Federal Hydrashok rounds I really like.

Don't let any of the guys that talk down on a 9mm and say it won't get the job done bother you. They are usually internet tough guys that have never actually used a handgun in a real life defense situation. No handgun that is commonly carried has that magic one shot stop power...unless you take out the brain stem or spine. I can promise you from first hand experience that a 9mm will put someone down. Trick is shooting a lot of ammo and knowing what you're doing.

Sorry to be long winded...I got in another one of those "I don't trust anything that's not a .45" arguments today. Enjoy your new gun and go over to the range report section and give us a review and don't forget the pics!

4. hnealg

hnealg New Member

As far as defensive rounds, Federal Hydrashok, Speer Gold Dot, Corbon, any "name brand" defensive HP all are quite effective --my personal choice is the Ranger SXT-T 127gr +p+ for my G19. If you prefer a more normal pressure load, the SXT-T 147gr will do nicely. This round is noted for reliable opening with maximum effect once inside the body.

5. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

I have a .40 but i got some remington supreme pdxi that i heard is good. FBI uses them, i use ballistol to clean my gun; works great:)

6. Robertlamont80

Robertlamont80 New Member

I feed my Gen 4 19 Federal FMJ from wally-world for range use. I currently use Hornady 115gr. critical defense but I would like to try out the SXT-T 147gr as mentioned above.