Glock 19 or Springfield XDM?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Smallville85, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Smallville85

Smallville85 New Member

I'm looking at getting my first handgun for use as a concealed carry weapon. I've had many rifles throughout the years and only shot a few handguns. I'm big enough to carry a compact firearm but wondering if i should go all the way with a sub-compact. Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Smallville 85

2. Chapman87

Chapman87 New Member

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=glock+vs+xd]glock vs xd - Google Search[/ame]

Been discussed many times. I personally prefer glock but just bought an xdm. they are both great guns. Shoot both and decide what you like.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

What he said, except i have the XD45. If it is down to these two, go try them on for size/fit. Remember that generally, the smaller the pistol the more felt recoil you will get from the same caliber/ammo.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would choose the xdm between the two.

Why not stop by the introductions section and tell us about you? :)

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Both are good, reliable guns. You wouldn't go wrong with either, so just find out which one feels better in your hand.

6. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Easy...... Glock 19, I carry it everywhere and love it. Conceals great and pretty confortable

7. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

XDM...changeable grip panels now copied by Glock, a better trigger, better gear in pak and a properly supported and heat treated barrel that will safely shoot anything you feed it.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You forgot to add their ugly and everyone has one. :D

9. Smallville85

Smallville85 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys, i have shot both guns and really like them both though i've been against Glock for a long time i'm finding that i'm starting to really like them. However, i really like the added safety on the handle that is on the XDM and think that it is a much better looking gun.

Decision: Probably going with the XDM as i can't afford a Sig or a Kimber.

10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I'm a big fan of both. But if I was going to buy just one gun for an all around pistol it would be the Glock 19.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Both are good choices. But whichever one fits YOU is the one to go with.

I prefer Glocks, but it's not all about me.:p

12. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

man ill tell ya i have the Glock 27 sub-compact 40 S&W and i love the thing. i carry it concealed alot. if you are set on a 9mm the Glock 26 is the sub-compact model and you will not be disappointed. glock is an incredible gun maker and if i had to pick one pistol to protect myself with, it would be a glock hands down. but not to bashing on any other gun makers. smith & wesson makes a really nice compact model. I have the full size smith &wesson M&P 40 but i know the compact is also great.

good luck picking, there is so many good options.

13. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

Agreed......

14. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

copied by glock??

Oh, so glock copied xd because of the backstraps? what about springfield copying glocks whole design!! i swear i was just watching a youtube video by pete(armory channel) shouts out to him! Anyways the video was about which gun he carries. He had four on the table, kimber, sig, glock, and another glock....ooppps i mean a xd:eek: I am sittin watchin this video and i couldnt tell the difference until he picked it up and said what it was. I always thought they looked like glocks except they have more machine work but the style and shape is glock to me:p

15. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ]YouTube - GLOCK vs XD[/ame]

16. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

i personally hate the way the xdm feels. the grip is uncomfortable and it just doesnt feel as good as a glock. i bought an xdm 40 with the 3.8 in barrel and i just didnt like it that much. i mean ya it shot pretty good but i just hated the feel of the gun. Luckily my dad had been bugging me sense i bought it to sell it to him so i bought it and and within 3 weeks i had sold it to my dad and bought a beretta inox 92fs 9mm. I couldnt be happier with my decision. but again that me. everyone is different...

17. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

HAD a Glock once. I do not care for them. I like the XDm but like the other guy said i'm not crazy about the grip(to rough for long periods of shootin').Iprefer the grip of the standard XD. Recently got a SR9c and really like the grip on it...feels a bit more in line with a 1911 grip to me.

18. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

its all about personal preferance, i have shot both. however i would stick with my xd as thats what i own and would stand by. if i had a perfectly good glock than i would prolly stick with a glock. if i had both i would prolly switch off!

19. morrisammo

morrisammo New Member

+1 on that,,,

Jim M ammo

20. NCSU08MS3

NCSU08MS3 New Member

I cannot jump on the Glock Bandwagon, I haven't liked them since I shot one, the grip angle was just off for me, also I wouldn't call a trigger a safety, I really appreciate the grip safety on the XDM it's an auto on / auto off safety that requires two opposite forces to fire the gun. I went with the XDM9 Compact with the mag extension it's great for HD or range shooting, with the compact mag it's great for carrying.

Phillip