Glock 19 Jam and Failure To Feed

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Rasputin, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

Glock has a reputation for being a safe, reliable and pervasive fire arm.

I purchased a Glock Model 19 9 MM and discovered a characteristic that I found concerning.

With in my first 100 rounds I had one jam and one failure to feed.

I discussed this issue and was told by the dealer that the issue was my hand grip. He explained that the Glock needs to be held with a stiff wrist to provide blockage so the slide will be forced fully to the rear to complete the ejection and reload cycle.

I changed my firing stance to place my left hand on my right wrist and the problem has not recurred.

I have had more than one dealer tell me about this so I assume this is true.

I have never encountered this issue with a Colt 1911 or my wife Walther PPK .380.

On the range a failure to feed or jam is an inconvenience.

In a gun fight it might make the difference between coming in first or second.

Coming in second in a gun fight it not a good thing.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Glocks can malfunction easily if you limp wrist it at all. Before you blame the gun, what ammo were you using? Did you put another 100-200 rounds through it to determine if it was a fluke or not?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ras, didn't you just buy that weapon??

I have heard this story before. I can't say that it is reassuring in Glock quality at all.....

JD

4. Gutpile

Gutpile New Member

The only ever stoppage i had with any model glock was ammo related. The SGT is right about limp wristing. What kind of ammo are you using? Factory or do you roll your own? Support the pistol off the bench to test the theory.

5. Rasputin

Rasputin New Member

Problem Has Not Reoccurred

I was shooting Winchester.

I have fired another 100 rounds w/o a problem.

I just think that purchasers should be forwarned about this characteristic.

Limp wristing appears to be the problem.

6. User Name

User Name New Member

I have never had a problem with my glock, not a single one.

7. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

Neither have I, and I've had 1911s, Smith & Wessons, and H&Ks, Sigs, etc. I just keep coming back to Glock because for me, they just work. I am thinking about picking up a Beretta soon. Maybe an XDm.

8. gglass

gglass New Member

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I for one have never been a big fan of Glock. So I have never owned one. I recently purchased a Glock 19 for my wife for Chirstmas. That is what she uses at work so I figured that is what she needs to carry and practice with.

After reading all the different problems about Glocks I am not sure about them. Like I said I have never shot one. Held one did not like it. That is why I purchased my XD45. I do not think that my wife has ever had any problems with her issue Glock 19, but I do know that she would rather carry my Sig P220 for work then a Glock.:D

10. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

XDM.....perfection

11. Mauser_man

Mauser_man New Member

I wish I had a happy story with Glock but I don not like 'em. I dropped 500 bucks about 8 years ago on a Glock 19 and had nothin' but misfires. I brought it to a gun smith who "fixed" it and nothing but the samo old crap. I was so fed up with it I sold it to a buddy who said he would fix it. He used it for awhile, now he justs keeps it in his safe. He shoots an XD, I on the other hand have nothing but good things to say about my Smith and Wesson Sigma sw9ve.

12. indyfan

indyfan New Member

make sure its lubed up nicely, i took out my M92fs out the other day and it jammed nonstop with fail to feeds. after i cleaned it and lubed it up right there on the range it shot over 150 rounds flawlessy.

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey mauser if your buddy wants to get rid of that safe queen I'll take it off his hands. I'm always in the market to buy a back up gun for my wife. Besides she is a Glock armorer and would love to tinker with it.

14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

YES SIR! Now if only they would make an XDm45, that would be one awsome pistol.

15. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Springfield should release the XDM45 shortly as I recently purchased the XDM40 and that would be my luck!

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Limp wristing is VERY common. Grasping the shooting wrist with the supporting hand is NOT the answer. Attaining and maintaining a proper grip is the answer. You should only experience a slight muzzle rise when firing a 9mm. If it is jumping up more than 3" or so, you are limp wristing.

Grasp the grip firmly with the shooting hand. Do not try to squeeze the life out of it, this will adversely affect the trigger control. Wrap the support hand around the FRONT of the grip frame under the trigger guard. Lay the support hand thumb along the frame forward of the shooting hand thumb. Squeeze with the support hand firmly.

I have seen such malfuntions in MANY light framed pistols. Alloy or polymer frames do not have enough inertia to resist rearward motion. A steel frame tends to take care of it's self. You may think you are gripping firmly enough, but if you are getting FTF's in a Glock you ARE limp wristing.

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

You know that is what is going to happen. It always does. That is why I have been saving a little money every payday for my XDm45. Unless my wife finds out and makes me pay some kind of bill but that is how that works also.:( :mad:

18. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

Mine has has never given me a problem. If your not happy I'll give you 200 for it..

19. avordman

avordman New Member

I have owned many semi-autos and anytime I get too relaxed, I have feed or ejection problems. Most centerfire semi-automatic pistols perform poorly when held too loosely. Gripping the wrist of the hand holding the weapon with the off hand is also not highly recommended. Grip the weapon with both hands and conttrol its recoil.