Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I’m looking for a new gun safe for my Glock 19 to put in the nightstand any suggestions or recommendations would be great thanks

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
A lot of questions.
Are you wanting it to be secured from little fingers?
Are you wanting to prevent it from theft?
Are you willing to bolt it in place?
I keep a gun in my nightstand, my carry gun. It just sits in the drawer.
If I leave the house it is with me.
I have no children in my home and if I have a visitor it is either on me or locked in another safe.
But if I need it in the middle of the night it is in my hand in 2 seconds......
Whatever you decide to do needs to be based on your situation and your requirements.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a young son and want him to not get into it but want it near the bed for fast access- something to get it out quick that’s reliable but something that my son could not open.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You can get a small, single gun safe with biometrics technology or fingerprint technology for about $100 - $125 that would suffice.
You can get digital safes that require punching in a code for considerably less and key locking cases for much less but you need to see what you are doing to operate them.
Either of the first two can be done in darkness once you find the safe.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend the biometrics, lots of issues out there on the net with reliability. I have had this issue myself.
There are many touch pad safes out there you can use by memory... touch.
This is my bedside...
GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Series Heavy Gauge Steel Handgun Safe Amazon.com: GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Series Heavy Gauge Steel Handgun Safe : Sports & Outdoors
Price varies quite a bit. I think i paid $99.

Hornady also makes some good ones.

You want to make sure that what you buy has no 'beep' or that the beep can be turned off.

Oh, i forgot, if you pick something out check on youtube for the lock picking lawyer to see if he has hacked the safe. He has some pretty surprising things he has easily hacked and opened.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
It appears you are the only one who likes it, considering the Amazon reviews.
Would that work in a nightstand? It looks like it has to be bolted down. I would like that arrangement for under my desk, but I don't know about the nightstand.

It's difficult for a homeowner to keep a gun from children yet keep it available in a moments notice.
In my home, there is no evidence that I own a gun. But an examination by an intruder would find a couple of safes that contain guns and a hidden safe that wouldn't be too easy to locate.
Putting a child (or children ) in the house ups the stakes quite a bit. It's a delicate balance between being safe and being ready. What works for me may not work for the next guy.
On another note, I also have an alarm system and perimeter cameras.
Not paranoid by any means, just live in a rural area, I am away quite a bit and police are at least 15 min. away.
Reasonably cautious and prepared.
All I can add as advice for the OP are two things:
Keep your gun close at night and secured "conveniently"
And your safety relies on one important factor: practice practice practice!

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
It appears you are the only one who likes it, considering the Amazon reviews.
Would that work in a nightstand? It looks like it has to be bolted down. I would like that arrangement for under my desk, but I don't know about the nightstand.

It's difficult for a homeowner to keep a gun from children yet keep it available in a moments notice.
In my home, there is no evidence that I own a gun. But an examination by an intruder would find a couple of safes that contain guns and a hidden safe that wouldn't be too easy to locate.
Putting a child (or children ) in the house ups the stakes quite a bit. It's a delicate balance between being safe and being ready. What works for me may not work for the next guy.
On another note, I also have an alarm system and perimeter cameras.
Not paranoid by any means, just live in a rural area, I am away quite a bit and police are at least 15 min. away.
Reasonably cautious and prepared.
All I can add as advice for the OP are two things:
Keep your gun close at night and secured "conveniently"
And your safety relies on one important factor: practice practice practice!
I've had it since July 2017. Never an issue. Battery life has been great.
IIRC alot of the reviews for the touch pad were lumped in with reviews of the biometric, which fails. But whatever... i like it. I change the batteries every year.
It is bolted to my nightstand.
When i leave the house for any extended period the gun comes out and gets locked in one of the big safes. Because obviously someone could cart off with the nightstand or whack this with a sledge.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
In my experience, a bio-metric lock is not a good choice if quick access is a requirement. I have one and I generally carry the key in case it doesn't want to open for my finger. To be fair, it opens about 80% of the time on the first try.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
At 80 per cent ...dam keyboard cant find the percent sign lol.
I blame it on the bourbon dam it.
i would rather have a lock box with a keypad that I have familiarized myself with.
Rather than trusting 80 percent of the time.
just me I guess , old and cranky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get a small, single gun safe with biometrics technology or fingerprint technology for about $100 - $125 that would suffice.
You can get digital safes that require punching in a code for considerably less and key locking cases for much less but you need to see what you are doing to operate them.
Either of the first two can be done in darkness once you find the safe.
Ok this is just what I needed thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts