Glock 19 Gen3 v. Gen4.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Shade, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Shade

Shade New Member

Just a question on the Gen 3 v. Gen 4. This will be my first and likely only
    Glock purchase. Not that I am against pistols, I am first and foremost a
    rifle guy. I am former Navy and have only owned and mostly shoot 1911's.

The reason for the Glock is to have something a bit smaller and lighter for a
    CC gun. A 1911 in the cooler months is easy for me to conceal in the warmer
    months looking for a small lighter gun to shoot that still fits my hand. I do
    not like having my pinky hanging off the grips so the 19 fits my hand well.

So I was originally going to get the the Gen 4 but in speaking with various
    guns shops everyone I have spoken with says the Gen 3 is a better gun,
    smoother and more comfortable firing it, and better reliability with various
    ammo supplies.

So my question to you all, is Gen3 or Gen4? The ~$50 is not an issue for
    me I just want the better gun.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Gen 4 19 FTW. Trust me on this one.

3. Shade

Shade New Member

Why? I like learning, like I said I am really a rifle guy not a pistol guy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When you buy a new gen 4 Glock you are supposed to get two magazines and a set of backstraps that are interchangeable to make the gun fit your hand. When you buy a gen 3 all you get is a magazine and the pistol. I would go to the Glock site to see what is supposed to be included with the new gun you select. Some unscrupulous gun shops will take all the accessories out of the box to sell them by the piece. I have seen LGS in this area try to sell the hard case the gun is supposed to be packaged in as an accessory.

5. Shade

Shade New Member

Wow, that is f-ed up. I deal with 3 LGS here, all are reputable.
    Back 7+ years ago the one shop would give you a box of ammo
    with a new gun. That stopped when ammo prices got stupid.

6. Argyle_Armoring

Here's the deal Shade.

Gen 4's come with: 4 interchangeable backstraps (2 with beavertails, 2 without), a dual spring recoil spring assembly, more aggressive stippling on the grip, and 3 magazines.

7. Shade

Shade New Member

Thank you.
    So as far as operation and reliability they are equal?

8. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I prefer Gen 4's myself. I like the texture better and the slightly smaller frame (with no backstraps attached) I guess early Gen 4's had issues but, I've had none with mine. I'd like to add a 19 someday and it will be a Gen 4 unless I can get a steal on a Gen 3 RTF2.:)

9. Argyle_Armoring

Of course. They're Glock perfection.

10. therukh

therukh New Member

I've had both Gen 3's & Gen 4's and I, too, like the smaller frame without any backstraps on the Gen 4 guns. The difference, besides the extra accessories & magazine, for me, was in the functioning. The Gen 3's could be taken out of the box, literally, and would function every time without fail...no break-in period needed (although I always break my guns in & recommend one). The Gen 4's absolutely, positively must be broken-in. All the Gen 4's I have had fail on a regular basis during the first several hundred rounds and that is with factory round nose ammo, 115, 124 & 147 gr bullets. After that, they are fine but they will fail during that initial period. I still like my Gen 4's and would not hesitate to buy another one, and I will, knowing I'll have to break them in before I'll trust them. I still have my Gen 3 guns but I use the Gen 4's now all the time for carry & competition. I'd say: Get the Gen 4!

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I like the Gen 3, it is simple doesn't have a bunch of crap I will have just sitting around. Of course my first Glock was Gen 2 so it is also similar to what I'm used to.

If you like the fit or feel of a Gen 4, then get one. If you prefer the Gen 3, get that. My LGS sells the Gen 3 for about $40 less than the Gen 4. It's all about what you prefer, and what points right and fits right for you. I haven't had any bad experiences with Gen 2, Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glocks. I do like the 19/23 sized guns the most from a practical stand point.

12. Shade

Shade New Member

What would you recommend for a 19 Gen4 for break-in.

13. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

14. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

+1, don't fall into the Glock haters trap, they are accurate, probably more accurate then you are, and reliable :D

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Handle both and choose the one you like best. Today either should be fine. Over the last few years there were reliability issues with both Gen 4 and late production Gen 3 but the new ejector and RSA seem to have resolved them. New models made in the last year should be fine.

I preferred the Gen4 G19/23 size and got the G23 (40 S&W) plus a 40-9mm conversion barrel which is the best of both worlds (two calibers in one gun).

Now for CC you might want to rethink the G26/27 subcompacts. If you add a $10 Pearce extender to each magazine you get a nice pinky rest and an extra round. I did this to my G27 and it's a huge improvement yet doesn't ruin the CC aspect.

16. Shade

Shade New Member

LOL, very few guns that I have shot that I have hated. Again I am a rifle guy,
    I have always viewed pistols as "Oh sh**" guns; because you say that at the
    point you need them. But with IL getting CC I have become more interested
    in them. I have been leery about 'plastic' guns but I shot a friend's 19 over
    the summer and was quite impressed. Until this year the only handgun I
    owned was a Colt 1991-A1 Gov't Model. Then I purchased Remington R1s.
    Like them both, the Colt is your standard sloppy 1911, which is fine as you
    can drag it through a river bottom and it will still shoot. The Remington is
    more accurate but much tighter, happy with it and it is stainless for CC and
    ease of maintenance. I have tried some of the other Glocks and the 19
    seems to fit my hand the best. I tried a few subcompacts with extended
    mags and still does not fit me well. I have held both the Gen3 and 4's side
    by side, they are a bit different but I could take either, as both are 'new' to
    me.

I have looked at and held many small (v 1911) semi's XDS's, Sig's, etc. and
    none fit my hand(s) well the 19's is the best fit for me. Maybe 28 years of
    shooting most 1911's have "ruined" me. :D

I have spent the last year looking and I cannot find a better fit for a smaller
    pistol than a 19.

17. therukh

therukh New Member

Gen 4 Break-in

Every gun is different and it could possibly vary with each person (varying recoil platform for the gun), but I would say to start with 200 rounds & follow with at least another 200 rounds after the last failure to function. Mine took about 500 before functioning reliably. Hope yours breaks-in smoothly.

18. Shade

Shade New Member

Well I pulled the trigger tonight and bought the Gen4. I pick
    it up Friday (3 day wait in the communist republik of illinois...)

19. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Congrats you won't be disappointed !

It's an excellent weapon

20. therukh

therukh New Member

Good choice! Let us know how things go!