Glock 19 Gen 3 or Gen 4??

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by jumusiq, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Trying to decide between a Glock 19 Gen 3 or Gen 4. Any advice from Glock users??

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Had a gen3 fora loooong time.. Was a great pistol

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I got a gen 4 because I could make the grip thinner than the standard Glock grip. It occasionally tossed a case back at my head. Glock has since changed the ejector. Mine is at Glock now having the ejector replaced. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the Glock 23. It's a .40. You can put a 9mm barrel in it. This would allow you to use either caliber. Good to have the flexibility in times of tight of ammunition supply.

If you haven't already, do try a S&W M&P 9 mm to see if you like it better.

4. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I went with a Gen4 G22 because I liked the grips better, and because I believe technology is always moving forward and there must be a reason Glock came out with a newer design. Sure it could be just to save manufacturing costs, but I think the design of the new recoil spring makes sense. As the previous poster said the nice thing about the .40 cal is you can get a conversion barrel (I got a KKM) and then you can shoot 9mm also - so you have two guns in one. Right now I can hardly find 9mm ammo and what I do find costs more than the .40 cal that is easier to find. It gives you options.

5. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Yea I just bought a .40 shield you can say by mistake lol. Went back in for the 9 instead and it was sold I'm a matter of 5 mins. You can also drop a 9mm barrel in it which is on back order. I was trying to sell it but its growing on me Lol. In reference to the Glock I'm getting an amazing price for the 19 and it's the same for both gens. I appreciate the info guys. I want to get those most bang for the buck.

6. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

It depends on how much stuff you want to add to it. Parts are much more available for the Gen 3. If you like them plain Jane, the Gen4 is a lot more ergonomic than the Gen 3. With that being said, I'm a huge Gen3 fan

7. Duval

Duval New Member

I have a gen 3 G19 and really enjoy it, I haven't handled a gen 4 though, so I can't compare. I carry my G36 the most.

8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The only profound change in the 4th gen was the recoil spring..!
    Buy either and if the early gen. 4 , get single style recoil spring and all is well!
    Swap out and put that double spring on a shelf..!

9. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I agree. You can get them fairly cheap. I just ordered replacement springs for my G22 and G27 off AMAZON. No issues, just wanted to change them out because they are getting some years on them. Took about 3 days for delivery.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The end of the slides the recoil springs fit in look different between the gen 4 and gen 3. Are you sure the springs are interchangeable? As far as profound changes; the gen 4 grip adjusts to small, medium & big hands.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  11. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

It's actually a new Gen3 or new Gen4 .. My friend said the recoil I the gen 4 is noticeably less than that of the Gen3 .. You guys agrees?

12. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Not at all.

13. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Awesome.. Thank you.

14. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

If you go with a tungsten steel rod like a did in my g17, it made a slight difference along with a Wilson combat recoil buffer. Nothing drastic

15. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeap , it is different , but no big deal and easy enough to trade out..!
    What I mean is the reliability and performance.! The ascetics and ergonomics is looks and feel.!
    Lets us define "PROFOUND"..!Do it go "Bang , Bang''..?

No buffer , just something to degrade and foul the works..!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  16. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'd say a Gen 3 but that is only because that is what I own. Try the Gen 3 and Gen 4 and see which one feels the best for you.

17. jumusiq

jumusiq New Member

Thanks for the help guys! Just waiting for it to come in!

NEW FREE FIREARMS LISTING SITE!!!! We Need to fill it up so sign up today and get FREE listing upgrades!!!! GUNSEEN.COM - Free online listing for firearms and all related items and services!