Glock 17l 9mm or Glock 20 10mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jordan228, May 17, 2011.

1. jordan228

jordan228 New Member

Which one would yall prefer? im trying to figure out which one to get! thanks

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

XD 40

;)

Sorry, not a glock fan...

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The calibers are like comparing apples to oranges.

9mm is inexpensive, effective with the right ammo.
    10mm is more expensive than 9mm, with the right ammo, it comes into .357 mag territory.

Suggestion: XDM in .40

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Out of those two I would choose the XD or M&P!!

5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Unlike others I will answer the question using the models you are asking about.

I'm a fan of the 9mm for many reasons. Ammo capacity, ammo price, easy to shoot and get quick follow up shots, and ammo availability. So my answer...Glock 17

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I completely agree with this statement.

IMO you will be happier with the G17 for the same reasons.

7. flasaint727

flasaint727 New Member

whats the price difference on the two guns? I would take the Glock 20 10mm its a great gun that a nice bang to!

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For a hunting BUG: Glock 20

For just about anything else: Glock 17

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Do they each fit your hand?

If so, get the G17.

10. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

I'm not much of a fan of the 9mm, but have used it, carried it, and been issued it with no option of using something else.

With all that said, the 10mm is a niche round that tends to find favor with people that hunt or spend a lot of time in the backcountry that opt for a bottomfeeder over a revolving pistol. It is not a round for a beginner or neophyte, and reloading is almost mandatory if you wish to have ammo to practice with.

The F.B.I. tried to issue a 10mm to it's Agents after the Miami Shootout, but that was a colossal failure and we ended up with the .40 S&W. If you are just starting out I suggest you go with a 9mm. It will allow you to practice more, at cheaper cost. The 10mm is akin to the .41 Magnum, which is also a niche round. One selects the .41 or 10 for different reasons than the 9mm.

The .40 S&W is a good round too, but not one I'd recommend if you are just starting out.

Biker

11. Glock23

Glock23 New Member

It depends what you are using it for. I have both and the 10 mm is a great round for hunting or protection with ballistics somewhere between and .357 mag and 41 mag but it is very expensive to shoot. The 9 mm is sufficent for protection and much cheaper for target shooting.

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i just picked up a glock 19 i do prefer th 40cal over the 9mm but ill be doing a lot more shooting with the 9mm simply because the round is cheaper now the 10mm isnt even an option for me because all the gun stores i frequent very rarely carry 10mm just not alot of demand for that piticulare round here i guess.

13. Bighead

Bighead New Member

What are you going to use it for?

With no info, I'm going to recommend the Glock 17, and also encourage you to look at the Glock 19.

14. 10millyMan

10millyMan New Member

id have to say the glock20 is a excellent gun very powerful and nice to shoot i own 1 i also have done abit of shooting with the 9 but feel in love with the 10mm the only thing is the ammo is expensive but u can get the best deals online its awesome my opinion

15. Gutpile

Gutpile New Member

If you have to ask...get a g17. The 10 mm in the g20 will run costs up and you'll shoot it less.

16. ra5451

ra5451 New Member

Hi Jordan,

I recommend the Glock 17. It's a great firearm, the rounds are cheap and available and it's very accurate.

The one thing you may want to look into is the Glock 17C. The C stands for compensated and releases the pressure in the barrel when you shoot which makes for less pressure on the hand and wrists. Let us know what you choose

17. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

9mmm or 10mm

I say get both.

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

10mm is for EXPERIENCED PISTOLEERS. Much like a .357 or .44 magnum.
    Mine will penetrate a semi-truck's door & go well into the metal of the passenger door with JHP's.
    So one needs to be VERY careful of their backstop when firing this weapon. The Glock 20 is my CCW of choice.
    Loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs, its the perfect home defense pistol for me.
    Mind you, I'm also a 6'3" freight train...so the recoil doesn't feel that bad to me, either.
    (never really thought it was bad anyway, way less than a .357 or .44, just a bit more than a .40-Short & Wimpy)

9mm is a starting caliber for anyone to train with, much like a .38 Special.
    It was basically designed to replace & mimic the .38's ballistic properties, but in a semi-auto hi-capacity package.
    It is definitely the suggested training weapon for many. A Glock 17/19/etc won't do you wrong there.
    Get the 33-round mags while they're still available ;)

So, if you get the chance to grab a sweet deal on a Glock 20, grab it & use it sparingly...
    until you can get a 9mm and train heavily (& cheaply) with it. Even my wife flinches when the 10mm goes BOOM...
    and she's an old jarhead with TONS of experience firing weapons.

One other thing...see that avatar pic I have? That's one of three extremely high capacity 9mm pistols I own.
    Two Calico Liberty III pistols...and I have a Tec-9 that's awaiting my order of GunKote...
    If you are gonna use 9mm as a home defense gun, at least have 50-100 rounds Per Mag to use.
    I believe in the "Fill the hallway full of lead" method of home defense when using 9mm.
    If anyone is still breathing after three-four 100-rd Calico mags, the wife can go finish them off with her Taurus 24/7 C ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  19. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Hunting= 10mm, anything else 9mm

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I totally agree. Is this a range beast? If so, then the G17 is the best choice, IMO.

Is this a primary home protection gun? If Glock is the only option, I'd go with the .45acp G21 and leave the 10mm at the shop.

Aren't all GLOCKS about the same price? They strike me as 20 different flavors of vanilla ice cream to me...