Glock 17

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by fupuk, Oct 29, 2011.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I just recently bought my first handgun a Ruger Gp 100, and just two days ago i bought the Glock for my old lady and i was wondering everybody's opinion on the handgun. I shot it yesterday morning and i like the gun but its a little different than my revolver. One question i have is why is the guide rod and spring plastic and what's the difference from a metal one?

Attached Files:

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Revolvers - A Great First Handgun

For someone starting out, I would would suggest considering going with a revolver. They are classic, simple to understand, and simple to shoot. Even better, it is very, very easy to see if they are loaded, and assuming the hammer is not cocked on a double action revolver, they pretty much don't go bang unless someone deliberately pulls the trigger. And, they are really easy to clean.

The Ruger GP100 is a great hand gun. Did you get 327 Federal Magnum or 357 Magnum?

I like revolvers in 357 Magnum because the ammo is easy to find. Even with so many manufacturers and sellers of 357 Magnum, it can be a bit expensive. To reduce cost when plinking or casual target shooting, most 357's are factory approved to download to 38 Special and 38 Special +P, both of which are often $5 to $10/Box less expensive than 357 Magnum. My usual store rarely has 327 on the shelf, and when they do, it's usually just one manufacturer and is pretty expensive. For 357, even on a bad day, they will have 3 to 5 manufacturers competing of the proverbial $.

Glocks seem to be fine hand guns, but are not my preference. On hand guns, I like to be able to see the hammer...just my preference. That's my preference on both revolvers and pistols. I've heard the pros and cons, and listened to both sides, but for now, I prefer the exposed hammer.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Its a glock, so alot of things on it are plastic. You will not have any problems out of the plastic guide rod. You can switch it out for a stainless or titanium guiderod but it wont make any difference. The glock is already made for reliability so just shoot the crap out of it

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Glock is the simplest semi auto out there. Fine for a noob.

The guide rod is plastic, the spring is steel
    There are issues with gen 4, but not gen 3.

5. Gloves

Gloves New Member

My wife has the 17 in OD Green and love it. Only mods we felt would help improve her
    Gen 3 was 3.5lb trigger pull, extended mag release button, tritium sights (had a gun
    smith install).

6. fupuk

fupuk New Member

This what i got at home. Just got a 33 round magazine and the rubber grip cover so now i just need to go to the range and try it out..

Attached Files:

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

How's your wife gonna stuff a g17 with a 33rd mag in her purse?

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Honestly the 33 round magazine is for me to take to the range. She has three 17 round mags that will fit just fine in her purse. And the size of her purse she could probably fit my shotgun in there and still have room for three outfits.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was just pickin man :) have fun!

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Can you shoot +p ammo out of a glock 17? I looked through the manual but i didn't find if you could. Thanks..

11. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I personally can't answer your question for you but you could always contact glock and ask them.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yes, you can shoot +P through your glock 17, just DONT shoot lead cast bullets through any glock

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yah i read the manual and use jacketed ammo but i didnt see where it said anything about +p ammo. Thanks.

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The only interaction that ive had with the glock 17 is when i was on the SRT team with the state prison that i worked for. We shot them pretty regular and All we used in them was +P ammo.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

The jacketed ammo deposites too much fouling in a GLOCK's rifling

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I think you meant something else.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Very Very true. I posted that from my new phone :) and I'm still preoccupied with learning how it works, so I confused myself :) I'm sorry. It is the cast lead rounds that do the depositing, not the jacketed.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Dang trip, cant take you anywhere... :)

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I seem to have this strange habit of leaving things more messed up, twisted and confused than when I found them. :)

20. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Ive have been told by a Glock Armorer for the local P.D. that +p and +p+ can be shot out of a Glock with no harm. He did say however, you can shoot +p all day long, but wouldn't recommend feeding a steady diet of +p+ quite as often. If you want to shoot the +p+, I would recommend going with an aftermarket barrel such as, kkm or a bar-sto. I currently have the KKM precision bbl in mine and she holds up quite nicely. Tighter groups as well. You have chosen wisely, I trust my G17 with my life and will never get rid of her.

Attached Files: